Will format hard drive or wipe free space destroy secure zone?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by zoril, Jun 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zoril

zoril Registered Member

Hi:)

Clearly I don't want to lose my SZ, but if I ever do either of the following:-

a.) Format the hard drive,
    b.) Wipe free space and cluster tips etc using a program like Eraser/Cyberscrub etc...

Will I definitely lose the SZ with either a.) or b.)?

Currently I have only the one C:\ Drive. It is not split into more then the one partition - except of course for the SZ.

There are times for example with financial records, for security purposes I would rather erase these securely, then delete them from the recycle bin!

Howard

2. pjb024

pjb024 Registered Member

Formatting your C: drive will not affect the SZ as SZ is a separate partition. Similarly if you run a program to wipe freespace and cluster tips you will again be specifying c: drive so it will not affect the SZ.

By the way, it's not a good idea to have the SZ or any backup for that matter on your one and only drive. All you need is for the drive to fail and you have lost everything including your backup.

3. zoril

zoril Registered Member

Hi PJB:)

Thanks for that info. Very handy and useful for me to know!

What you say also makes a lot of sense re backup. While I have my data backed up in the SZ zone of my C: drive, I do have an external hard drive with about 120 gig space, where I backed up the data also.

I didn't bother with a secure zone zone with the external drive. I also save complete rather then incremental backups, as there is loads of spare space. I backed up one full backup onto CD also - just in case (about 5 CDS needed).

Thanks again

Howard

4. pjb024

pjb024 Registered Member

Hi Howard

You should be able to sleep at night knowing you have several layers of security.

Good luck

Paul

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.