Will FDISR and FD beta play nice on same machine?

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR BETA Forum' started by Horus37, Jan 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Horus37

Horus37 Registered Member

Do you just create an empty snapshot image and load the beta into that or what? If I'd had known the beta was coming out so soon I would have paid the 10 dollars to upgrade within a year. I just bought this 2 weeks ago and it's already outdated?? Since my MBR was hopelessly messed up I had to nuke my computer and just rebuilt it from scratch and then a few hours later a free one comes out that is more compatible with MBR problems. I feel like I just got bent over. It would have been nice if the email support staff would have let me know in the last email I just got from them 2 days ago that the next day they were releasing a beta that dealt with fixing issues with MBR incomptibility problems between software so I didn't have to nuke my computer and start over. And now that this new one will be vista compativle with better MBR support I want that instead so do I have to UNISTALL what I just did and install only the beta? Or do I have to have a VM to install the beta into? I just got things perfect....o_O

Last edited: Jan 27, 2007
  2. vhick

vhick Registered Member

yup same question....

can i install this to my existing installation or create a new snapshot and install windows after that install the beta?

i really want to try the beta.

don't worry, i have my image backup!...

3. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I wouldl not consider installing this beta unless you have a good image that can restore the entire disk, mbr and track 0. And you have test restored that image.

4. Leapfrog Software

Leapfrog Software Leapfrog Management

Although, I have self-proclaimed-extreme-confidence (we have been running the boot code and copy engine for 4 months with our OEM's) in this pre-release, remember, it is a BETA. I would highly recommend you run this on a test system.

5. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

I have just installed Vista Ultimate. By mistake I forgot to format my C drive so I have this windows.old still so the earlier version of Leapfrog FDISR is installed there and all the other snapshots. So it is a bit messy on my drive and not much space left :)
    Anyway this is my experience on installing the beta:

After Vista was fully installed I downloaded the beta from leapfrog and installed it.
    Everything went fine, I can boot to my old snapshots with XP. :thumb: Except the one that is in the windows.old folder because that snapshot now boots to Vista :)

I will do a proper install later after I´ve played around a bit with Vista, meaning I will image back to XP and install the beta. Then I will make a empty snapshot and install Vista there.

One funny question though. I have used FDISR for a couple of years now so I have forgotten how to do a clean install of FDISR (Raxco) Because I have just done new snapshots all the time so FDISR has always remembered all the info it need to check that I own my copy.

I just cant for my life remember if I got any serial, nor I cant find it in my emails (gmail) where all my conversations with Raxco is stored (forever I guess :) )
    Or didnt I get a serial? Is it just a fully working version of raxco FDISR that I downloaded and all the registering info was installed then?

6. silver0066

silver0066 Registered Member

I have been running it for several days with no major problems. The Activity Log intermittently comes up with 4000 to 5000 errors, something about renaming short file names.

However, it has never failed me in moving from snapshot to snapshot, which I update frequently as I am installing Vista as my main system. I used the older version with VistaRM1 and 2 for a couple of months with no problems except some workarounds had to be performed because of UAC.

I am using Acronis Workstation for backup as an extra precaution.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.