Will Diamondcs offer free online scanner?

Discussion in 'Trojan Defence Suite' started by Biggest foot, Apr 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Biggest foot

Biggest foot Guest

Hi

Was wondering if Diamondcs website will soon offer a free online trojan scanner(like TDS3 but without all the extra functions- just a scanner)- similar to some anti-virus makers(for viruses) or like trojanscan.com?

2. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

And they should do that - why? Pete

3. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, spy1

Are you asking him to put his Bfoot in his mouth,? :D :D :D

My Attempt at humor, sorry Pete ;)

TheQuest :cool:

4. dragonbreath

dragonbreath Guest

Yeah man, like we want our scanner man, like that's so righteous man, like .....yeah, like..... what was i sayin' man?

5. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

:D

I was being semi-facetious. It's just that I'm having this vision of everyone in the world using a "free" DCS trojan-scan.

You know it would be the absolute best one ever and that everyone would abandon all those "other" online trojan scanners (thus putting untold numbers of people out of work) and probably even would pitch their other A/T programs in the trash (more economic world-wide chaos) because they'd no longer be necessary.

Simultaneously, DCS's band-width costs would sky-rocket - and the only place that they'd be able to make it up would be to charge us (their bread-and-butter loyal customers ) higher prices for the programs we buy from them.

I'm not seeing an "upside" to this - is anyone? Pete

6. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, spy1

I was thinking the same when I saw first saw the post, but did not know how to phase it, you have done it pefect Pete.

Some one has to pay for the bandwidth some how.
    TheQuest :cool:

7. biggest foot

biggest foot Guest

Symantec has an free online scanner. Mcafee has an online scanner. Panda has an online scanner. Many software providers have free online scanners and no one throws away their anti-virus and goes running off to use only the scanners. I think if Diamondcs had a scanner it would be a good thing, that may bring in more business and that would pay for the service. Perhaps it could only scan & report if there was a trojan, but not remove it, thereby increasing sales further of their products. I doubt if everyone would use such a scanner(if there was one) most people need things like mem scan ect... The online scanners are just an additional check, never a replacement.

8. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

biggest foot - Symantec and McAfee are just a touch larger, organization-and-income-wise, than DCS, wouldn't you think?

And thus able to better absorb the overhead involved in such an undertaking?

As far as opining that DCS providing an online scanner would increase sales, I think quite the opposite is true - give people something for free and they'll use it to death and never buy the product.

If they provided a scanner that didn't fix anything it found, then people would gripe about that! Think I'm kidding? Let someone come out with a "trial" program that doesn't "fix" what it "finds" without paying for the program and it's as though you've set loose the Hounds of the Baskervilles. Negative publicity, not positive.

Have you asked Kevin from BoClean or Magnus from TrojanHunter or Daniel from The Cleaner if they're fixing to crank up an online scanner yet?

I mean, really - if you want a second opinion on a scan result, there're already two free anti-trojan programs you can d/l and try out.

Which anti-trojan program do you use yourself at the moment? Pete

9. biggest foot

biggest foot Guest

I use Pest Patrol & Trojan Hunter for my trojan scanning ways. I still think the online scanner would bring in more sales, but that's just my opinion. Sometimes you got to take chances to get where you wanna go. But if you never take chances you won't get any further than you are now. All the super achievers know this one.

10. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

Hi Biggest Foot, welcome to forums.

I cannot answer for DCS per se, but they are a relatively small outfit [as probably in less than 5-8 people] based in Perth, Australia.

This is purely MY take on it [Wayne, Gavin or Jason can slap me up the side of the head later if wrong :blink: ]:

Symantec, McAfee, Trend, etc. are pretty big multi-corporations [huge in some of the cases] that have "man hours and bandwith" to spare setting up such an option as an online scan, be it virus, trojan, etc.

Those company's have relied mainly on massive PR work and are a bit like when you think of, say, running shoes, most people immediately think of Nike/Adidass.

They are "branded" companies, meaning they are well known [good or bad :rolleyes: ] and have the bucks to spend setting up, maintaining, and even giving specific instructions/tools on removal after detecting any malware.

You go to ANY PC store these days [I have tried this] and ask in general about a new PC then ask "what's this about viruses I need to know" [acting dumb] and in EVERY BLOODY case, the first words out of a salesperson's mouth are: "Get Nortons, it's the best". Boy, I can tell you, that sure gets my back up and I soon set some of the records straight.

99% of those same salespeople's lower jaws drop open when I ask about "Spyware, Malware, Hijackers, etc. etc." and the 'canned' statement just comes back, "I am sure Nortons will take care of that".

In my own PC store that I rely on, I never ask a salesperson, I ask my tech and he's very savvy, he even has TDS as some of his other techs do, and I enlightened him up in the ways of general malware with simple things like AdAware/Spybot/SG/SB etc.

You see, the Nortons/McAfees, etc. have done a fantastic PR job and has the "boxed" products on virtually every PC store shelf in the world and thus effectively knocks out a lot of the competiton from the getgo.

PLEASE: I AM NOT KNOCKING NORTONS/McAFEE, ETC. It's just that such companies have got the reputation from an early stage and are world-wide in it's products on the shelves.

For DCS to offer an Online Scanning Service, IMO, would take valuable resources away from their mainstay of building/maintaining VERY reliable products.

Once again, IMO, NO other company can touch them on the fantastic reliability of their "specific job" products as in the case of TDS, Port Explorer, and now with CryptoSuite and ProcessGuard guarding every single process on your system.

Maybe, just maybe in the faaaaaaaaar future, they could get time and personnel to set up/maintain, such a service as the company grows.

Personally, I'd rather just get the product myself, and have protection first time, every time.

Sure, use the other online scanners [I do very occasionally just as a triple check :rolleyes: ] as a backup. There are many already.

Kaspersky, very good in general overall
    Trend's 'Housecall' for viruses/general
    Panda, Symantec, and others I am sure, for the same.

Cheers, TAS.

*DISCLAIMER: I am in no way affiliated with DCS, nor do I reflect THEIR views, just my personal opinion. ;)

11. Wayne - DiamondCS

Wayne - DiamondCS Security Expert

Sorry to disappoint some of you but there are no plans for an online scanner, free or otherwise. However, I can confirm that we will be releasing a free trojan scanner in the very near future which, compared to web-based scanners, 1) can do a more thorough job, 2) can scan a lot faster as it requires no uploads, 3) can scan all of your drives (which would be far too slow to do online), 4) doesn't require you to be online - just to name a few advantages. That's all I can say for now so no questions about that please, but stay tuned - big things are coming.

Cheers,
    Wayne

12. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

LOL Pete and Biggest Foot, you guys were posting while I was "composing" my marathon.

EDIT: Opps..Wayne beat me.. so reply deleted...

Thanks Wayne..

TAS

13. dragonbreath

dragonbreath Guest

Like you be the man, Mr. Wayne. Like Psychedelic groovy, sooooooo cool.

14. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

A very quick infection test we have already in our TDS in the System Testing - File Infection (anti-virus) which is about the quickest way to see if any virus (trojan too?) could be active on your system.
    Looking forward to what's coming from around the corner from new developments to detect and disarm all nasties.

15. TimeKeeper

TimeKeeper Guest

Any new news about that free trojan scanner, Wayne? A possible release date?

16. tuatara

tuatara Registered Member

one have to read all forum threads ....but then bit by bit ... the DCS fans get their information on what there is waiting for them, in the near future.. :)

"I can confirm that we will be releasing a free trojan scanner in the very near future" ..... very clever idea i think!

BTW biggest foot (Yeti or Sasquatch?) there was/is always the option to
    download a free trial version of TDS.

Sphenodon Punctatus

17. Timekeeper

Timekeeper Guest

But Tuatara the difference between the free trial of TDS-3 and DSC's offer of a free trojan scanner is the TDS-3 trial is for 30 days then you must not use it anymore, where a free trojanscanner (i'm assuming) would be permanently free.

18. tuatara

tuatara Registered Member

correct, but there is no free version yet, so in the meantime
    he can use the other option.

;)

19. 1234

1234 Guest

I guess when DiamondCS says "the very near future" that means a couple years in Earth time. :p

20. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

If MS doesn't keep hard working developers from their normal plans with even more SP's full of nasty surprises.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.