Will archives restore to a newly bought hard drive if it's the same as old one?

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by Horus37, Mar 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Horus37

Horus37 Registered Member

I was thinking that if I restore an image backup or an archive of FDISR snapshot, it would still work on a new hard drive as long as the new hard drive purchases was exactly the same as the old replaced hard drive? If make model size etc... were all the same but just being brand new to replace old hard drive-I'd still be ok with using the backups from imaging software and FDISR archive snapshots?

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I don't see any problem with that at all. Should work fine. When things get sticky is when hardware is diffferent, hence different drivers.

3. nixie21

nixie21 Registered Member

But you would need to install windows on the new drive first, right? Then install FDISR, then restore archive?

4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

You could do it that way or if you have an image restore that first. For example one scenario I've tested, is first making sure my archive is current, and then restoring the first image on my new machine. Just a basic install of windows, with FDISR, and no snapshots. Then:

1) Create a stripped secondary snapshot, from the Archive of the stripped down secondary snapshot.

2) Boot to the secondary snapshot.

3) Do a copy update from the primary archive to the primary snapshot.

4) Boot back to Primary which is now just like it was when I started.

Not as quick but yes you could install windows, install FDISR, create a secondary snapshot, boot to it and then update from the archive to the primary.

Pete

5. nixie21

Yes, not the best scenario, but if you did not have an imaging software, at least it would work! And thanks Peter, I have learned a lot today, now I just need to get it working as I am having a problem listed in another post!

6. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

7. nixie21

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.