Will Ad Muncher v 5.0 be released in 2014?

Discussion in 'polls' started by acr1965, Feb 3, 2014.

?

Will Ad Muncher v 5.0 be released in 2014?

1. Yes

21 vote(s)
    18.1%
  2. No

95 vote(s)
    81.9%
  1. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

Just wondering what the opinions were here. Essentially, will Ad Muncher version 5.0 (with the ability to filter https traffic) be released this calendar year? For what it's worth, version release history (as per admuncher.com) is below:

4.93 - July 2012
    4.92 - June 2011
    4.91 - March 2011
    4.90 - Nov. 2010
    4.81 - Feb. 2010
    4.80 - Oct. 2009
    4.72 - April 2008
    4.71 - Oct. 2007
    4.70 - Oct. 2006
    4.60 - Aug. 2004
    4.52 - May 2004
    4.51a - Dec. 2003
    4.51 - Sep. 2003
    4.50 - June 2003
    4.40 - Aug. 2002
    4.3d - Sep. 2001
    4.3c - Sep. 2001
    4.3b - Sep. 2001
    4.3a - Sep. 2001
    4.3 - Aug, 2001

2. SweX

SweX Registered Member

I voted Yes i'm optimistic and have my fingers crossed for all AM users ;)

3. acr1965

I hope 5.0 is released this year as well although I'm not optimistic as there's been no program update going on 18 months now.

4. ProTruckDriver

ProTruckDriver Registered Member

I'm new to Ad Muncher and love it. I voted yes. I also have my fingers and toes crossed. :D

5. Dave0291

Dave0291 Registered Member

No. They've been going at it for years, what makes anyone think they suddenly have the finances and ability to do it this year? I might end up wrong, we'll see, but the relevance boat has long sailed imho. The release dates don't mean much if you actually look at the logs. Just listing the dates out like that doesn't give much information. With ABP, Switchboard on Chrome, among others, paying for an ad blocker doesn't really make much sense anyway.

6. JeffreyCole

JeffreyCole Developer

We've been making progress the entire time.

We've written massive amounts of code and work continues to this very day. ;p

As for your last comment, Ad Muncher is so much more than an ad blocker.

it does many things that are impossible for anyone else.

I don't see this changing...

7. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

I just took a look at Ad Muncher's page
    (I knew of their existance but never paid attention)
    and I found it very expensive for what it does

Consider this comparison
    Ad Muncher lifetime $109.95
    MBAM lifetime $24.95

Even the Basic version of Ad Muncher
    which consists of only ad blocking and a weekly update
    will set you back $79.95

as for
    I'd like to know what those things are

8. JeffreyCole

JeffreyCole Developer

HULU for one.

9. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Don't take this wrong, but that's only relevant for Hulu users no one else really, or is it? And you didn't say what it really is that AM do with/on Hulu.... if I were you I wouldn't be so secret but start to talk about what's coming, talk about everything but no release dates obviously to get the AM users excited and jump of happiness.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2014
  10. JeffreyCole

JeffreyCole Developer

Clearly any site is only relevant to those who use it... ;)

It's just one example of a site ABP and others can't remove the ads on.

11. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

Thanks for clarifying
    not reason enough to pay ripping prices though
    (or any prices for that matter... he thinks to himself)

12. JeffreyCole

JeffreyCole Developer

The point is there are 1000's of sites like this.

Only we can remove or deal with the ads on them.

We also bypass all known ad block detectors.

13. Terabytes

Terabytes Registered Member

I doubt it I've voted no :argh:

I've used AM for many years though always yearly & the premium version, but after it stopped working on IE11 & on encrypted pages, & as it tends to break Eset SS (probably not AM's fault) unless some parts of Eset are disabled I uninstalled it around three months back & as this is a new PC it's not been installed at all on it at all.

I'm now quite (very) happy with Adblock+ & it's highly unlikely I will ever buy AM again - As for AM doing more than filtering ad's a full lifetime version of Mbam & along with Eset SS & a couple of other add ons I'm quite happy on the security front - I've now given up looking on the AM forum for news on 5.x & just deleted it from bookmarks.

IMO one thing that does need changing is the info on the main AM page that does say 'Blocks ads in all browsers' & 'Kills unwanted popups in all browsers' - Frankly no it does not - AM does not work on IE 11 which most who use auto update on Windows Update now have, nor does it work on encrypted pages on other browsers - Why hasn't the info on the main AM site been changed when it does seem not to be honest advertising? Any input from 'JefferyCole' on that? http://www.admuncher.com/

(One thing that borders on amusing was AdMuncher having annoying ad's on Facebook which it's own product can't block, whether they still use advertise on FB I don't know as I no longer see ad's on Facebook with Adblock+) :D

Last edited: Feb 9, 2014
  14. kupo

kupo Registered Member

Voted "No". I doubt it will even be released at all. If I'm wrong, then all is good. Paying for an AdBlocker (IMHO) is stupid. All JeffreyCole's card in paying for an adblocker is a minor thing, (yeah even the Hulu part :D), most of it can be done in Adblock Plus, just report it to the filter list subscriber (for the detection of adblock).

15. JeffreyCole

JeffreyCole Developer

This is simply not true.

Many can not be bypassed by ABP without allowing the ads completely.

There are numerous examples on the easylist forum.

Ad Muncher has permanently solved many of these things years ago and ABP struggles on a daily basis.

16. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

True. But ABP also has its own plus points. Filters HTTPS, updates faster to keep up with browser developments, cross-platform, etc

I do respect the work JeffreyCole does. At times though, I think in his enthusiasm in defending AM's merits and value over the competition, it almost come across as belittling the competition while downplaying AM's current downsides. Can't really fault him when people keep making comparison. Honestly, no offense intended. Just wanted to voice out how I see things. Good luck with the development of V5.0.

17. JeffreyCole

JeffreyCole Developer

ABP gets HTTPS for free.

it didn't have to do anything to filter it.

the browser decrypts the content before it gets to ABP.

We have to actually deal with the encryption.

Encryption is not a simple matter.

And it's coming.

I'm not downplaying anything.

We will support HTTPS, ABP will not gain the abilities that we have that it does not.

18. Terabytes

Terabytes Registered Member

Interestingly no comment was forthcoming regarding the main Ad Munchers site product info that proclaims that AM 'works in all browsers' from the developer - I won't comment on this again though.

19. JeffreyCole

JeffreyCole Developer

Ad Muncher v4.93 was released before IE11.

Microsoft broke it, not us.

They changed things they hadn't changed in over a decade and frankly didn't need changing.

Much ado about nothing.

20. acr1965

There have been consistent posts by those representing your site and product that your company's word should be good enough for people to believe version 5.0 is coming. It seems ironic that you can now blow off a false and misleading advertisement about your product's ability to filter ads in "all browsers."

21. Dave0291

To be fair, they really can't help what MS does. Should they fix it if they can? Absolutely. But they can't quite call up Microsoft and order them to stop making the life of AM more difficult by tweaking a browser MS owns and can do whatever it pleases with. If it can't be fixed until version 5 comes out though, I wouldn't be so quick to say "much ado about nothing".

22. dansorin

dansorin Registered Member

changes or no changes by Microsoft, fact is AM isn't working with IE11, but other blockers do. full stop!

23. Dave0291

Yeah, well, the answer to that will just be another "AM does what other blockers don't".

24. JeffreyCole

JeffreyCole Developer

And it came right when we were in the middle of rewriting v5.x so there's nothing we can do about it.

The changes required to make v4.x work with IE11 are not simple.

And it makes no sense to waste the resources to make it compatible when we will just throw v4.x away for v5.x anyway.

We're not going to code IE11 compatibility TWICE....

So all of our energy is going into finishing v5.x and then you'll get IE11 support as well as everything else v5.x will bring. :)

25. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Let's hope that MS won't release IE12 close to the AM v5 release with possibly even more changes :p

Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.