Wilders thread links and browsers

Discussion in 'Forum Related Discussions' started by Firebytes, Oct 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Firebytes

Firebytes Registered Member

Do the links here at Wilders change in your browser after you have read them?

If so there is something I am missing to get the links here at Wilders to show up differently after I have clicked them when using Firefox. Right now there is no visual difference between read and unread threads. After I read a thread it would be nice if the link showed I had already clicked on it during a session to tell where I had already been or not been on the page.

I do allow cookies for Wilders. Is there another setting to change in Firefox or in my configuration here at Wilders to achieve my objective?

Thanks

2. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

3. Firebytes

Thanks for the links Snapdragin. I guess I should have done a search for old threads before posting. I usually do but sometimes I slip. :oops: I will read the links you provided and see if my answer is there.

4. Firebytes

Please feel free to close this thread if you desire as I feel there is already plenty of information on this for me to peruse in the links Snapdragin provided.

Sorry for the unnescessary thread.

5. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

Hi Firebytes,

No need to close the thread, and it certainly isn't considered an unnecessary thread as it may be helpful to someone else who might be having the same issues but unsure of how to explain them or ask for assistance.

I hope you find the solution and maybe post back here what helped or what you did to get things working the way you wanted. And of course, if nothing worked, and others may be able to offer further suggestions. :)

6. Firebytes

The only thing I have found so far is this... while logged in I can read a thread in "Today's Posts" and then click "Quick Links" and then "Today's Posts" again to go back and the thread I just read will appear different indicating I have read it.

If I read a thread in "Today's Posts" and then just hit the back button or right click and go back the thread will not appear different to indicate I read it already.

Hope I just made sense there :doubt:

7. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

That's the way it's meant to function. The Back button does not reconnect with the forum to update the read thread indicators for your session. It merely causes your browser to step back a page in your local cache. The thread highlighting in vBulletin, (which is bold to show a thread has unread posts, and not-bold when a thread has been read), is not the standard URL based highlighting that changes when a link has been clicked. The bolding of unread threads is done programmatically in the forum software, and for it to be removed, (a read thread to be unbolded), a reconnection to the webserver here and an updated thread listing has to be downloaded to you.

8. Firebytes

Thanks LowWaterMark and Snapdragin. I am up to speed now. I appreciate your help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.