Wilders Security Forums owned/operated by

Discussion in 'Forum Related Discussions' started by smallpotato, Apr 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smallpotato

smallpotato Registered Member

It seems like there are a bunch of people and/or companies behind these excellent forums. Is Javacool Software(SpywareBlaster)/Jaguar technologies and Yipes Communications affiliated?

I like to know a little about the people/sources that help me out. They may have more worthwhile software/solutions that help people. Unless they're affiliated with Claria... in which case I probably will sleep better not knowing. :blink:

2. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

few ones:

Attached Files:

3. TouchuvGrey

TouchuvGrey Registered Member

I have never noticed any of the mods here pushing any particular software. So even if this forum is subsidized (which considering the amount of room it uses and the expenses involved would seem necessary ) it does not seem biased. In some other forums they seem unwilling to admit to any flaw in the products made by the company that sponsors them.

Here on the other hand, the company reps that respond on the boards seem grateful if and when we find holes or glitches in their programs and work quickly to fix any problems we find. I have been a member here about 2 years and started coming here a year before that and hsave witnessed this many times.

I have been helped with a number of problems and possibly helped with one or two myself. I don't know if anyone is paid or subsidized for their work here, i do know i'm glad they are here.

Mike

4. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Wilders is a standalone forum, the dedicated software support groups do so with the permission of wilderssecurity to run the support forums here. We do so because it seems to make it much easier for the members to get help from the dedicated software groups. We are not affiliated in the business sense.. As far as I know they do not contribute to the support of Wilderssecurity forum.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2006
  5. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Interesting question by smallpotato.

BigC is in a much better position to answer. I know nothing of the money bank rolling all of this...but you know some have all the money they need and then plenty more...so what would one do...they would do what they love to do, what they always wanted to do...it might start with a dream then over a period of time you build on that idea or dream and then after much labor one day it becomes reality. Money is only a means to an end, it is the passion for something that allows us to ultimately accomplish our goal. Sure, without money and the donations of time and energy such operations as this might not exist.

To me the Wilders Security Forums are what I see. I never thought it was anything other then what BigC has stated; they are... the software groups and the many members that are users of what is posted from all over. :thumb:

The proof of these things is in the success stories and assistance that is given by those here, who are so dedicated to the mission of helping those with the topics you see. I for one just enjoy scanning the posts and reading, it is the knowledge that I gain here that allows me to help others that I come in contact with....

Just my thoughts I wanted to share...;)

6. smallpotato

I'm always on the lookout for good tech sites. And no spam/popups/junk. So somebody or some group must house the servers that provide this standalone site with their hard-earned dough... Eh, no matter. The forums and people are excellent resources. I appreciate the knowledge. So the mystery people have my thanks as do the many helpers.

7. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

8. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

Jut cruising and saw this thread

Haven't heard from Luv2bsecure for some time; he was a great help to me when I first joined here.

I hope he is well.
    Not trying to be nosy, just miss his input.

Regards.

PS I saw somewhere about donating to the forum, can't remember where.
    Is that still the go?
    About time I did i think :)

Last edited: May 1, 2006
  9. smallpotato

Thanks for the info. thread link snowbound. Knowing where the answers are and finding them are two different things.

So if this is a relatively objective (for lack of a better word) software groups forum then there is no problem with having sections devoted to competing software products, yes?

With the constant barrage of consumer products and services in this head-spinning information age it is difficult making informed choices. Caveat emptor.

10. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

No....the owners decision is to host just one dedicated and official forum for a specific sort of software. The main reason for this is a simple one: They wish to avoid any conflict of interests.
    Caviar empty.

11. smallpotato

Understandable. So these forums are provided for the interests of the companies and their customers? Products or services meeting (or exceeding) the needs of customers is a tough cookie to accomplish. I understand now. Thanks Bubba. No caviar for me -too salty.

12. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

No. You seem to have chosen to twist the words posted here.

One more time;

Wilders forum (as indicated by the previously indicated link) is brought to you by Paul Wilders and LowWaterMark. Those two human individuals are responsible for every single cent going to keep this place running.

These two have chosen what they (and many others) consider the best software in each category represented here. Wilders hosts the forums for said software (I think that's clear to see). Obviously (as stated by Bubba) there would exist a conflict of interests should Wilders host a forum for more than one AV, AT, etc.

All the same; discussion of any and all software competing with the software having support forums here is more than welcome in our general areas. These areas include "other anti-virus software", software & services, and other anti-trojan software.

Even though I fully realize that you have been here before your current username was created; I will state once again that the Global Moderators here are simply volunteers from many walks of life moderating these forums for nothing more than the positive feelings we get from helping others.

13. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Detox,
    Thanks for your post. :thumb: I for one am thankful Wilders and places like it exist. I am very appreciative of those who "bankroll" Wilders Forums and those who give of their time, expertise and mastery in their specialty to help those who have a little less of both. ;)

14. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

I'll second that. We don't have an official presence here but I definitely enjoy the ambience and the odd post now and again :)

15. smallpotato

Thanks Detox for the clarification although I'm not sure what you mean by my seeming to choose to twist the words here.

Hypothetical. So company Spacely Sprockets contacts Paul Wilders and LowWaterMark and would like to have an official presence on Wilders Security Forums. The owners make some arrangement with Spacely Sprockets to do so. They now have Official Spacely Sprockets Forums on Wilders Security Forums. All discussion of Cogswell Cogs (their competitor) is limited to the general area forums. So Spacely Sprockets and their customers are allocated space in their Official WS Forum. Cogswell Cogs customers are in the General WS Forum area?

No matter. Arbitrary filtered processing seems useful regardless of the source of data so that helpful information may be achieved. I do agree with the others that these are helpful and useful forums. There are many helpful and useful forums on the internet.

Now as for being here before my current username was created.. I would hope to remember, though I have no recollection of ever being here before. Detox: Send me a PM or email and let me know as my memory retention is not what it once was and I could have been here years ago.

16. bigc73542

smallpotato I still don't think you fully understand yet. But that is not important as the rest of us do.

bigc

17. comma dor dash

comma dor dash Registered Member

"But that is not important as the rest of us do."

Well ... you won't be surprised but I also have problems to understand certain things going on here (e.g, why do certain people enjoy to edit my signature ;-)

"Those two human individuals are responsible for every single cent going to keep this place running."

Has there ever been an official statement that this forum costs these two individuals any money (or do they, directly or indirectly, make money in connection with this forum)?

"Obviously (as stated by Bubba) there would exist a conflict of interests should Wilders host a forum for more than one AV, AT, etc."

First, this forum does host competing software developers (see DiamondCS -- Process Guard / Ghost Security -- AppDefend).

Second, why should the hosting of more than one AV or AT result in a conflict of interest UNLESS the purpose of this forum is to promote the sales of a particular scanner?

*** This posting is protected in accordance with the copyright laws of my and your jurisdiction. You are hereby granted the right to delete it but it may be illegal to edit or deface it. ***

18. dog

dog Guest

Hmmm ... it doesn't surprise us in the least that you decided to express your displeasure either NTL.

The money spend isn't anyones concern ... and No there hasn't been an official statement cost ... Why would there be? But No it's isn't for profit although there is little point in saying so - You'll just argue it regardless. Some people just contribute to the greater cause ... in this dark gloomy world it's hard to believe but it does happen. ;)

BTW - When are you rolling out your cost structure (forum etc.) ... publicly stating who you are ... who you're connected to / affiliated with etc etc etc.?

What's the point of pointing to DCS/Ghost? We all know how this came to be. There's never been any conflict otherwise ... the situation is certainly understandable, isn't it? O ... I forgot you just like to stick your stirstick in when you deem it appropriate. :rolleyes:

19. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

If by "signature" you mean the signature that you can create as part of your UserCP....I would suggest you contact one of the Admins concerning that possible breech since only you and one of the Admins would have access to that area.

20. comma dor dash

Thanks for the hint (I now use a "real" signature ;-)

21. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

You are more than Welcome G

Last edited: May 13, 2006
  22. comma dor dash

@dog

"Hmmm ... it doesn't surprise us in the least that you decided to express your displeasure either NTL."

I am sure you can live with my sparsely expressed criticism ;-)

"The money spend isn't anyones concern ... and No there hasn't been an official statement cost ... "

That's fine with me. I do NOT criticize this. However, if noone knows whether the owners of the forum earn money or lose money we should not automatically assume that they have no business interests whatsoever and should therefore be admired for their generosity.

"Why would there be? But No it's isn't for profit although there is little point in saying so - You'll just argue it regardless."

No. I would not IF (and ONLY IF) there were a clear statement that this forum is 100% financed out of private funds (or through a sponsor which is not connected to the companies who have a subforum here). If you do not want to make such statement you should not be angry if people assume that there are certain business relationships in place.

"Some people just contribute to the greater cause ... in this dark gloomy world it's hard to believe but it does happen."

I would be prepared to believe it.

"BTW - When are you rolling out your cost structure (forum etc.) ... publicly stating who you are ... who you're connected to / affiliated with etc etc etc.?"

I do not and I do not demand this from you. As regards the costs of our site/forum: there are no costs because we are hosted by a free hoster (which is possible because we have almost no traffic ;-)

"What's the point of pointing to DCS/Ghost? We all know how this came to be. There's never been any conflict otherwise ... the situation is certainly understandable, isn't it?"

Yes. There are valid reasons. My point is that there is probably NO GOOD reason for not hosting other competing developers.

"O ... I forgot you just like to stick your stirstick in when you deem it appropriate."

That's true.

23. bigc73542

the discussion of the financial support of this forum has been answered several times in this thread. But it seems that there are several people that just can't seem to understand it. or they refuse to believe it. as a staff member here I might not should say this but I for one am just damn tired of the stupid questions. They have already been answered. If you don't like the way this forum is run you can always leave and not come back.

24. comma dor dash

"has been answered several times in this thread"

The problem is that the question has NOT been properly answered. You have said: "As far as I know they do not contribute to the support of Wilderssecurity forum". That means nothing.

I do not know what you know and I do not know whether you are in a position to properly answer this question. Do you know about the financial affairs of the owners of this forum?

And again (just for the avoidance of doubt): I do neither demand that this question is answered. Nor would I go mad if the owners said that they make money with this forum.

I just wanted to point out that the answers received so far are VAGUE and therefore meaningless.

25. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

:D About as meaningless as some individuals sigs :blink: ....but "VAGUE" can be good sometimes :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.