Wild Tangent

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Rita, Nov 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

Could anyone tell me if wild tangent is spyware,seems I heard it was,but cant remember.I wanted to play a game and this message came up about it so I didnt install it.wanted to find out first
    Thanks

2. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

3. bigbuck

bigbuck Registered Member

Definitely had either spybot or adaware find and kill 'wild tangent' before...
    Cheers,
    Brad.

4. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

Rita, WildTangent IS SPYWARE. Use spybot-S&D and ad-aware SE to get rid of it.
    Also, could you please elaborate more on what program did you recently install? Do you have AOL Instant Messenger installed? Please do not install WildTangent at all costs.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    WildTangent is an online gaming plugin bundle from Wildtangent.com, containing the WildTangent Web Driver, WildTangent Multiplayer Library, WildTangent Updater and WildTangent GameChannel. WildTangent is downloaded as a standard setup .exe file or installed by an activeX control from the vendor's web site. WildTangent is also bundled with Games from WildTangent and some WinAmp plugins. Some Internet Service providers such as Verizon and Bellsouth install the WildTangent software. Some desktops from HP comes with WildTangent installed. AOL Instant Messenger 5.5 bundled WildTangent Multiplayer Library, Updater and WebDriver without any notice in the End User License Agreement. Later on the AIM license was modified to also mention WildTangent, which you can see in the AIM 5.5.3595 EULA. Symantec support has more information about how WildTangent is installed on the users' system.

5. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

Hi Nadirah
    I didnt install it.I was going to play a game and got the message (above) in my screenshot, and I thought I'd heard it was spyware so I come here to ask.Thanks for your reply
    Rita

6. Peaches4U

Peaches4U Registered Member

Rita - I will also confirm that u do not want Wild Tangent in ur computer. With some games, they cannot be played without Wild Tangent - not worth it. When I purchased my internet keyboard, they bundled games with wild tangent into the keyboard drivers CD and unbeknown to me I loaded the stuff. Big time mistake as really had "fun" getting rid of it all. I would suggest that even when purchasing a CD with games, scan it before installing. A lesson I learned the hard way. :(

7. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

Thanks peaches
    glad I didnt install it!I'm glad my memory is as good as it is :D I thought i had remembered reading that it was spyware so I checked and didnt install it,I've learned its better to be safe than sorry.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.