Wild Tangent

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by systemn0b, Oct 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. systemn0b

systemn0b Registered Member

So i have a pc i recently got and the games section if it is published by wild tangent.

i did not play anything? i guess it's safe to say the whole os is already compromised?

Attached Files:

• r5.jpg
      r5.jpg
      File size:
      8.9 KB
      Views:
  2. Aventador

Aventador Registered Member

Wild Tangent games have come as preinstalled software on many pc's for the past 10 years. So whats the problem? I don't see a problem here. Those games were already installed on your new pc so you should be fully aware of them.

3. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

It's just your standard instance of crapware being loaded up by the vendor. I don't think Wild Tangent has the same near-malware reputation it once had, but if you don't want it there, removing it won't have any harmful effects. I personally would burn it in a fire, but that's only my opinion.

4. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

Because it hasn't even been 10 years since Wild Tangent was classified as spyware and put in the definitions list of and removed by some of the most popular anti-malware programs during that period. It used to be bad news, but I've not even looked at it for years so I don't know what the situation is exactly these days.

5. Aventador

Lol................Buy a new pc and most likely you will have Wild Tangent games on it. No big deal and its clearly not adware related.

6. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

Hence why I stated I don't know the current situation and emphasized the word "used" :)

7. Aventador

8. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

What to do if your infected. Wild Tangent is bloatware aka third-party crapware added by premiere PC vendors for years. A trained eye will be able to help remove this nuisance.

9. Aventador

Excuse me but do not blow this out of perspective. Wild Tangent is NOT malware and systemn0b clearly does not have a malware infection. Its simply preinstalled games. No big deal.

10. siljaline

I don't recall where I labelled Wild Tangent as malware, it's bloatware that shouldn't be there and can be easily removed by a trained eye. Many PC Vendors were and are guilty of bundling games of dubious background and continue to do so. My opinions on this will never change.

11. Aventador

You linked systemn0b to the "What to do if your infected" page. Hence the accusation of a malware attack.

12. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

Had it bundled with gateway netbooks and lots of trial games,its not malware it's bundle ware and now its vapor ware.

13. siljaline

This I did for expert assistance in disabling | removing the games(s) - not to be construed as a place for malware removal. There was no accusation of a malware attack.

The statements you are making have no basis in anything anyone is saying in this thread. Read all in English, verbatim.

14. Aventador

Lol...............I did not know "Add/Remove Programs" required expert assistance. Wow thanks for the tip. The next time I need to install or uninstall software the first thing I am going to do is come here and post a help thread. :rolleyes:

15. siljaline

16. Aventador

Do you honestly think I need links provided for explanations of common Windows programs such as "services and msconfig"? This isn't the first grade you know. Notice how I already provided systemn0b with the necessary tool to remove any and all preloaded pc "crap".

17. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

Why are you being so belligerent? Siljaline is an expert in the field and was simply explaining that programs don't always just "go away" and that could be considered an issue for some people. I was explaining simply what it used to be considered, and I'll repeat myself yet again that I'm not aware of what it may or may not be classified as today. You are now the one making this much bigger than it was ever meant to be. The OP has the answer now, it can be removed and they should check for leftovers just in case. That's all this should have ever boiled down to.

18. systemn0b

Allow me to elaborate

back in 1999 wild tangent was known for tracking your surfing habits and delivering ads...anyone remember the ad-aware days? anyone remember bonzai buddy?

so if it tracks your surfing habits it may as well be classified as a rootkit.

tracking as known as "RECORDING" surfing habits "KEEPING TRACK OF THE SITES YOU VISIT" let's make it simple because that's what third party software engages in nowadays..it may as well covertly record usernames and logins...completely compromising privacy.

A different viewpoint

Last edited: Oct 27, 2012
  19. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

I don't want to even see pictures of Bonzai Buddy. Between that and Gator it was like reliving the Black Death.

20. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Well the website appears legitimate enough and ive tried games there myself without any real problems.:thumb:

21. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

Bonzai Buddy was awful cute though.;) come on now, How could any resist a purple monkey.

22. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

I preferred crash bandicoot lol

23. systemn0b

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.