Wild Tangent

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by gnashif, Apr 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gnashif

gnashif Registered Member

I just downloaded the spyblaster software, and wanted to see if it would work with the Wild Tangent Driver download. Wild tangent is a game driver they use for their Gamechannel client, to give you an idea about the power of this spyware program, after downloading the Wild Tangent gamechannel then running Pest Patrol I have over 230 spyware and adware objects.

Interestingly Wild Tangent insists that they are not adware or spyware. However it has all the characteristics of adware, when pest patrol deletes the wild tangent pests, the program no longer works on your system.

Wild Tangent has successfully persuaded Adaware and Spybot that they are not adware objects, and so you cannot detect their spyware through anything other then Pest Patrol, who on www.pestpatrol.com lists Wild Tangent as the #1 Adware software in the world. I do not mean to go on, but wanted to explain this to you.

I downloaded spyblaster and of course it does not recognize Wild Tangent either. Is Wild Tangent spyware and adware or is pest patrol giving it a bad rap. By the way spybot is a Wild Tangent product.

Thanks
    gnashif.

2. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

3. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Hi, and welcome to Wilders. One thing that you said - "by the way spybot is a wild tangent product" is absolutely wrong if you are talking about Spybot Search and Destroy. Spybot S&D has absolutely nothing to do with Wild Tangent.

4. gnashif

The information I received on Wild Tangent was from www.pestpatrol.com, there are so many Spyware programs, that it can get confused. I am sure that we are talking about two different ones, I probably got the name incorrectly, but there is a Spyware program several of them that are Wild Tangent Products....

I just was really confused, when I tested the spywareblaster and it did not detect Wild Tangent objects as spyware or adware. It clearly is without a doubt.

I did read the link provided by Snowbound and thank you very much. I already got this information from Wild Tangent. Since it is from them I do not believe they are telling me the truth. I would like an independent source such as Pest Patrol to verify that they are or are not spyware.

Pest Patrol still list them as such but adaware does not. anyway if someone can give me an explanation as to where "spywareblaster" developers stand on this issue it would be appreciated.

Thanks again
    gnashif

5. TheShooter

TheShooter Registered Member

I agree with having it block WildTangent - it's spyware, plain and simple.

http://www.wildtangent.com/default.asp?pageID=privacy

Read: We give out any information we can collect to all sorts of people.

What was the link BTW? I submitted a few WildTangent CLSID's, you can add these to your custom blocking:

{205FF73B-CA67-11D5-99DD-444553540000}
    {205FF73B-CA67-11D5-99DD-444553540002}
    {AB29A544-D6B4-4E36-A1F8-D3E34FC7B00A}

6. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Ahhh.. I did a quick search and found there is an IRC bot called "Spybot" - probably that or something else using that name that you were talking about :D

Spybot: Search and Destroy is a quite reputable Spyware-remover - which is why I jumped in there thinking you may have been misled. There have been some unsavory types around trying to tarnish the reputation of the real Spyware fighters such as Spybot S&D and Javacool... makes ya stay on guard :D

7. gnashif

I am glad I am not misleading anyone, LOL. You need to know that Wild Tangent is a leading producer of games, and are partners with shockwave gameblast site, I took this issue up with shockwave, but they would not accept my analysis, so I cancelled my membership, what is really strange is that I have been using pestpatrol for 2 years, and have cut down my spam by more than 90 percent, I do not hardly get any at all....but the time I ran into this wild tangent mess, all of a sudden I began getting spam again, that is when I discovered all of the wild tangent objects....is that a coincidence? I took care of the pests, and it took about 3 weeks and now the spam has slowed down to nothing again.

I hope that spywareblaster can recognize this, however, wild tangent gamechannel and drivers for their games will not run without the spyware. they do not tell you this.

As far as I know Pest Patrol is the only one that recognizes wild tangent objects, S&D did not even find them. Pest Patrol found 275 objects after downloading Wild Tangent software. and that was just one program.

thanks
    gnashif

8. Peaches4U

Peaches4U Registered Member

Sorry to disagree with you but SpyBot Search & Destroy does recognize Wild Tangent and will quarantine or remove it [your choice] from your system. Yes, it comes with games but it is also included into certain other purchased hardware and computers as part of their software inclusions only they do not mention Wild Tangent only as games. I have had more than enough experience with Wild Tangent and find that eliminating it from my computer does not affect its performance. Oh, I do not play computer games .. not my thingie!! :D However, I would hope there must be enough good games on the market which does not include Wild Tangent.

9. gnashif

sorry to disagree with you, but I used S&D and it found exactly 6 objects, I ran pest patrol after that and it found 275. How do you explain that, I did do a little research, I emailed both Shockwave and Wild tangent, my conclusion is that wild tangent is a marketing company, exploiting the public by embedding spyware into their game software and then denying that it exists by giving a bunch of technical jargon I do not understand.

My original question still has not been answered, how come spywareblaster cannot detect the wild tangent spyware.

thanks again
    gnashif

10. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Of course, only Javacool himself can explain why some items are included and others not included in the SpywareBlaster definitions. We'll have to wait and see if he replies to that specific point.

But I would like some clarification on this question: how come spywareblaster cannot detect the wild tangent spyware? You don't really mean "detect" do you? SpywareBlaster is not a scanner at all. It merely applies preventative settings in the registry, the most significant of which are the ActiveX kill-bits it sets to block both the downloading and execution of specific spyware related ActiveX controls. But there's no scanning going on in SpywareBlaster.

11. WilliG

WilliG Registered Member

Bless you! I don't believe that Patrick Kolla (SpyBot SD 1.3) would/will have caved, as have many others in this business. I also have trouble believing LavaSoft would fail us either. However, in my own attempt to keep these groups alive, I do donate (freely) to SpyBot SD, SpywareBlaster, and have purchased Ad-aware Pro + <contains Ad-watch and some very nice plug-ins>. These folks have to make a living and pay for
    their expenses/overhead. I hope my donations help keep them alive and honest, and,
    would encourage others to do the same (if so inclined).

WilliG

12. WilliG

WilliG Registered Member

I'm confused, a bit. . . are you talking about the "WildTangent" that is CEO'd by Alex St. John? (contributing writer to CPU, one of the original creators of MS DirectX, and Renagade of the Empire). If so, I am truely surprised and thoroughly disgusted.

WilliG

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.