Wifi + Lns

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by tosbsas, Feb 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tosbsas

tosbsas Registered Member

Hey I have got an intel wifi adapter - was traveling, neve rried before, and the hotel free wifi - I was so happy and really it connected great, but I couldn't access the internet, couldn't check mail - what am I doing wrong. Ping wasn't finding anything either. No proxy set - I am lost

Ruben

PD: Using phantom + autoset

Ruben

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

in the welcome tab of lns, is an IP address detected? is the connected checkbox checked? if not, go to the options tab and make sure lns is protecting ur wifi adapter.

3. tosbsas

yes it shows the ip adress - i can ping to that address too but to none else

I have now donloaded the wifi secure rule, but where to put it and don't know if that will help cause its an open network

Ruben

4. WSFuser

put it at the top

5. Thomas M

Thomas M Registered Member

tosbsas,

The WiFi-rule is 2nd. lowest in my list of Internet filtering. And I can work at most WLAN-Hotspots, although it sometimes needs some manual adaption of one or the other rule...

1.) Be sure to set the correct DNS-server for the local WLAN hotspot! You might have restricted your ruleset to your standard DNS server at home.

2.) Maybe PhantOm's ruleset uses more restrictions, which prevent you from using other LANs (he can help you much better, because I am not using the "PhamtOm" ruleset.

In general, the more specific (tight) your ruleset is, the more trouble you will have at other places. You could try to activate a specific WLAN ruleset. I have one and I will be happy to share it with you :) You can test it at GRC and at other places for still being full stealth.
    However, open WLANs are high risk areas for your Notebook security!

Thomas :)

6. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

Let it be known, tosbsas isn’t using the supported copy.

* The pinging unless activated most likely a fault for not being able to ping, locate and activate the ICMP request and response rules.

* Like WSFuser asked, is the checkbox for ‘Connected’ on the Welcome screen checked or not?

* Ensure WiFi importable rule file had been imported.

As you said traveling is something you do a lot, so I assume you never specify DNS addresses, or at least not when on your trips.

7. tosbsas

don't understand fits comment - started xp without loading lns - but still no surfing possible. Doesn't set standard gateway.

Checkbox was showing conected when I started with lns

I imported wifi rule

I am loooost

Ruben

8. Thomas M

There are several reasons why wireless LAN might not work:

1.) You must set the correct SSID name of the access point. Sometimes there is a spelling error in the name...

2.) Depending on the security level of the hotspot you must use the correct encryption method (WEP, WPA or WPA-2). WEP might require a password, WPA always requires a password, which must be also correctly entered. My experience is that with the wrong password you will receive some IP address, but surfing does not work.

What IP address is (was) shown in the LNS Welcome window?

9. tosbsas

I see

192.168.0.27 or 192.168.0.1

No encryption here, no nothing. I get the connection without any problem - but cannot surf and check mail

Ruben

10. WSFuser

well the IP seems like ur router or gateway, i dont think its normal tho.

11. Thomas M

WSFuser is right, 192.168.0.1 normally is the router address, not a client IP.
    Can you confirm that you have chosen to connect to an "access point" and that you did not establish an "ad hoc" connection (the latter one is also called "computer-to-computer" connection)?

12. pilotbiffster

pilotbiffster Registered Member

OK, have you tried starting XP with LNS not starting automatically (go to LNS options, select "none" for Automatic start). If you can't connect at this point, then the problem isn't with LNS but with your WIFI adaptor/software.

13. tosbsas

To all:

Once again - I connect without a problem but cannot get to any page - will check the adhoc thing

Ruben

14. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

Hi tosbsas

To best troubleshoot your problem, start by using the EnhancedRulesSet.rls, re-boot, open browser, does it connect?

15. tosbsas

Could you mail me your wlan ruleset?ß tosbsas at gmail.com??

And your idea about the ad hoc and access point could be right. I am so new to that:
    1. When there is a mistake in that setting - can I even connect?? Cause I had a great and strong connection all the time, but no surfing
    2. Ip address was always 192.168.0.1 or 27 or .... - but I never got a standard gateway

Right now I am back home - had to pay phone in Paraguay to be able to check mails instead of free wlan - grrrrr, and no wlan is close (well there ist but its locked with wep) so I cannot test now

Ruben

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.