WiFi issue on Windows 10

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by PEllis, Dec 13, 2017.

1. PEllis

PEllis Guest

Hi, everyone.

The WiFi on my Lenovo ThinkPad R60, running Windows 10, isn't working properly. Nearly every time I start the PC, I get this:

Untitled.png

I can temporarily fix this by rebooting the PC or by right clicking on the WiFi icon and using the troubleshoot system, which finds this:

Untitled1.png

However, this doesn't fix the issue, it just goes back to the way it was after a reboot. I've tried IObit Driver Booster and Auslogics Driver Updater to see if a driver update would work, to no avail. Any ideas?

Thanks.

2. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

If you leave the machine alone a few minutes does it automatically connect?

3. PEllis

PEllis Guest

I've rebooted three times after a Windows update and the issue appears to be fixed.

4. PEllis

PEllis Guest

The problem has returned.

No, it doesn't turn on, nor does it if I try manually.

5. Rules

Rules Registered Member

Run cmd as Admlnistrator and type this (line by line) :
    ipconfig /flushdns
    netsh winsock reset
    netsh winhttp reset proxy
    netsh winhttp reset tracing
    netsh winsock reset catalog
    netsh int ipv4 reset catalog
    netsh int ipv6 reset catalog

Restart your computer.

Rules.

6. PEllis

PEllis Guest

Thanks for the suggestion. However, the problem persists. I've tried disabling AV software, but no changes.

7. Rules

Rules Registered Member

Uhm, did you check your router or access point, try to reset it.
    If it s not working, Can you try to install manufacturer pilot or with a other os like Windows 7 if it's possible.

8. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

9. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

What wireless card does your laptop use and what is the version of the driver you are using?

10. PEllis

PEllis Guest

Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection, version 13.3.0.137

11. roger_m

Okay, there is a more recent driver, v13.4.0.139, which you can download from Intel. You will need to download the Windows 7 driver, as there no Windows 10 specific driver for your wireless card.

12. PEllis

PEllis Guest

Thanks. I installed the driver, but I'm not sure if it has fixed the issue, so I'll use it for a while and see what happens.

13. PEllis

PEllis Guest

The driver update has fixed my WiFi issues. Thanks to everyone for the suggestions, especially @roger_m.

14. roger_m

You're welcome.

15. daman1

daman1 Registered Member

Proof that these type "installers" are ineffective in searching and installing the proper drivers.

16. roger_m

Actually, it's not. As you can see in the screenshot below, Wise Driver Care (which works much better than Driver Booster or Auslogics Driver Updater) finds the driver update.
    WDC.png

The other driver updaters may not have found the driver update, since it is a Windows 7 driver and some driver update software will only find Windows 10 specific drivers on Windows 10 computers.

I find driver update software to be very useful. After doing a clean install of Windows, I can run Wise Driver Care and often it will be able to find drivers for any devices which Windows Update was not able to find drivers for and OEM drivers to replace any generic Microsoft ones installed by Windows. It takes just a few clicks to install all the updates, which makes it much quicker and easier than manually downloading and installing drivers.

Driver updaters can sometimes cause issues, but they also can save a lot of time. There's a widespread belief that driver update software sometimes is malicious or downloads malware, but this is simply not true.

17. daman1

daman1 Registered Member

I've tried them and always uninstalled them, to risky, I go right to the source, Intel,etc,etc..

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.