WiFi Boosters

Discussion in 'hardware' started by JerryM, Jun 6, 2017.

1. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

2. Stigg

Stigg Registered Member

I've done quite a bit of messing around with home networks over the years, and there are certainly some simple ways to extend wi-fi, but the easy ways aren't always the best.
    You can try one of the wi-fi extenders you posted above (not sure how the Linksys RE6500 works. It may work OK), or even a Powerline Adapter used with a wireless access point.

But, in my findings, the best performance is to run ethernet cable from your modem/router to another part of the house with a wall plate at each end, then plug in a wireless access point and give it the same SSID and password as the primary one. I usually buy wireless access points that also have a 4 port switch.

Examples of the things I posted above.
    TP-Link AV500 Nano Powerline Adapter
    NETGEAR WAC104 Dual Band 802.11ac Wireless Access Point

Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
  3. J_L

J_L Registered Member

I just bought one that's on sale with the greatest range. I did not use Ethernet or Powerline due to placement issues and inconvenience. Still works relatively well in my room that had bad signal.

4. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thanks for the replies. I can live with the current situation if necessary. I do not want to go to much trouble and the plug into the wall device is what I was hoping will work.
    Jerry

5. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

What did you buy?

6. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Linksys RE4100W N600

7. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thanks,
    Jerry

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.