Wi-Fi in an apartment building

Discussion in 'hardware' started by ronjor, Jun 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

http://blogs.computerworld.com/wireless-networking/20616/wi-fi-apartment-building

2. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

I have discussed wifi in crowded environments many times - but more from a security aspect, rather than the issues trying to connect in such crowded neighborhoods.

Another reason to stick with Ethernet. Then a little spackle, touch up paint and no one will notice the holes on the wall when you leave. :)

3. buckshee

buckshee Registered Member

I live in an 1650 sq foot apartment and had serious and frustrating wifi problems connecting my tablet which I use 2 concrete walls and 40 ft away from the router/DSL modem. Then l bought the D-Link DIR-645 now I have no problem even on my balcony which is even further away. I've had it a month and am delighted. I tried four manufacturers of wifi extenders but they were slow and often dropped out - I wouldn't recommend them unless you need extremely long range.

4. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

It really wont matter where you go, theres a Wi-Fi network in nearly every Supermarket/ Office/ Store/ Etc Etc.. so if you have a Wi-Fi enabled device your device will pick up on every Network surrounding it ;)

5. Bill_Bright

This is exactly why I say, "Go Ethernet!". At least whenever possible.

While WiFi networks can be secured relatively easily, they add a whole new and huge level of responsibility on you, as a user of WiFi, and as an administrator of a WiFi network.

And remember, Enabling/Disabling SSID Broadcasting is a "convenience" feature. It is NOT a security feature. You cannot hide the RF (radio frequency) radio-waves. They go everywhere. Convenience for all - good or bad. And don't use your dog's name!!!! :( Nosy neighbor's will try that first.

6. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Agreed. However with portable devices like a smart phone many will want to use the Wi-Fi so as not to exceed the limits of their data plan. You can't go ethernet with a phone, so unfortunately avoiding Wi-Fi is getting MUCH harder to do.

I like when people know this. Too many people think it is a security feature and it is worthless as one.

7. Bill_Bright

Yeah. I still recommend disabling it. No need to hang a neon sign out front advertising your network. But I am not aware of any sign (turned on or off) preventing anyone determined to get in from trying.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.