Why?

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Blackspear, Jan 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Why is "Program Component Update" NOT set to "Automatic" by default, I have clients that tell me "I just keep saying NO" as they are not sure what they are being asked...

Surely this should be changed to Automatic as default, and if you want to tweak and take it off it's default setting, then that's up to you...

Cheers :rolleyes:

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

That's because program component updates are quite large so downloading them automatically might pose a problem for users with slow dial-up connections.

3. mrtwolman

mrtwolman Eset Staff Account

Latest PCU is over 4 MB. Try to imagine the server load if thousands of machines would start automatic DL :)

Regards

4. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

This is handled by Eset through load sharing over many servers...

Marcos, due to the many clients who have made the same comment (they are not sure what to do, and they keep saying no), we now change the default setting to Automatic. 3 to 4MB download, even on a dialup account is only 15 to 20min on average. I tell my clients Nod is the most important security product they have, and to make sure it is ALWAYS up to date, EVERY single day (it forces them into a good habit).

Cheers :D

5. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

If I were you, I would educate my customers instead of taking control away from them. There is NOTHING more irritating than having some program pop up and start downloading a lengthy download (particularly one that demands a reboot) when you are doing something on the computer...especially if you are on dial up as the download cripples your speed and you can't do anything else. That sort of thing should never be allowed. You may loose all your work in Word or whereever you were when this happens. Plus, the uneducated customer feels helpless and angry.

I had this happen with the AV I used before I got NOD32. I lost precious work (as the AV program rebooted after the download even though I instructed it to NOT do so when it gave me a popup and asked). I have never seen an AV that will behave itself properly if allowed to do automatic download when a reboot is required. Downloading should only be done when the person is ready and prepared for it. When this happened to me, I complained to the vendor who assured me that it was impossible for the program to reboot after the download if I told it not to...well it did it and this happened more than once. I had only had a computer for a year and I didn't realize that I could have control if I wanted. I was much happier once someone explained how I could control the program. I think anyone is happier when they have control over something so it does not do things unexpectedly.

I do, of course, agree that the AV software is the most important software one has besides the OS itself and it should be kept reasonably up to date. My virus definitions on my XP box are dated 12/31. I am not using NOD on this box yet as I am waiting for the shutdown problem to be fixed. I am not particularly concerned that my definitions are old ...there is a problem in the physical path to the ftp server for the AV I am using for the moment and who knows when the vendor and their ISP will fix it as it is only affecting persons in my state. I haven't panicked. (If it continues for more than another week then I would be very upset). If you teach your customers safe computing then they don't have to be paranoid about having the definitions totally current to the very day. Just my opinion. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.