Why you might want to think twice about surrendering online privacy for the sake of convenience

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by lotuseclat79, Jan 11, 2017.

1. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

Why you might want to think twice about surrendering online privacy for the sake of convenience

-- Tom

2. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

Nice read, thnx for posting :thumb:

3. Palancar

Palancar Registered Member

LOL! In some ways you just described my life. Although, once its all configured and you have endured the learning curve its actually not that tough to do.

4. Socio

Socio Registered Member

Gathering data on citizens a huge source of power and control to insatiable corrupt governments and a multi-billion dollar business for corporations, both entities will stoop to anything to get every single megabyte then can. As such it seems to me we the people are quite literally in a war for the control of our own lives and we are losing, the inconvenience of fighting back just makes it all that much easier for them.

5. ExtremeGamerBR

ExtremeGamerBR Registered Member

Thanks, great read!

6. Circuit

Circuit Registered Member

Nothing is "free"
    Why do people disagree? Cant teach stupid. :argh:
    Sorry, but just wise up about privacy.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  7. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

I hope I am not being typecast. ;)

8. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

"It is inconvenient to guard one's privacy, and the better one protects it, the more inconvenience one must endure."

Gees, that sounds familiar. Where have I read something like that before? Oh, I know...

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/what-is-your-privacy-setup.389711/page-3#post-2634322

9. deBoetie

deBoetie Registered Member

In this season of resolutions, it's interesting to reflect on willpower. And how tenuous it is. The problem with all these choices is that they wear you down or get you at a weak moment. It only takes a few of those, and you are substantially owned from a privacy perspective.

The alternative approach is to put temptation out of your way, which I've done with smartphones. Yes, it costs me sometimes - but usually, for example if you need to get somewhere - asking people is very productive and often gives you more information.

People used to live without the internet.

10. Stefan Froberg

Stefan Froberg Registered Member

Yeah, good old times.

I think that for older generations that were used to analog phones, pay phones (loved those), using cash etc., all the so-called "hard" thing in life, all these privacy tweakins are a minor inconvience.
    We already had life "hard" before Internet :)

It's probably harder for those millenials and later generations that did not know the time before big "I" and smartphones to change their habits and to resist the so-called new "normal" of giving all your personal info away to big business and throught them, to government.

And oh, yeah, while on the subject, data brokers and the so-called researchers that do daily nothing but try to find new ways to erode peoples privacy even more are the **** of the Earth!

11. ProTruckDriver

ProTruckDriver Registered Member

Good Post. Remember it well, Good old times. :thumb:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.