Why you don't need an RFID-blocking wallet

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by ronjor, Jan 19, 2016.

1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

2. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

Is that article a joke?! Basically it says, that stealing RFID info is easy, but why would anyone do it?
    That joker definitely killed it by saying to wrap anything in aluminum foil, yeah that is so much practical.
    RFID wallet costs as much as normal one and it is not just about credit cards, but passwords, IDs and so on.
    I have bought mine for 50 bucks, it stores 8 cards and cash, it is actually pretty sturdy, thanks to RFID knitting.
    By the way, he also mentions car keys, yeah spending a few bucks to protect your car key is a waste for sure.

Does this even require a comment, placing RFID reader near doors will get thousands numbers within hours.
    People stealing cards numbers place readers near ATM for years and they do not complain.

That is the beauty, the reader can be placed in anything, it is not like in ATM. People will not know where or when info was stolen.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2016
  3. inka

inka Registered Member

fleecing sheeple, at fifty bucks a pop, for "RFID knitting"... is criminal, but not illegal eh.
    What's next, a supersized (hold 9 cards, cash, 2 condoms) version, "fortified with Brawndo" ?!?

4. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

Is this true or just guessing? I've seen commercials for this products but never got a feeling that this industry has grown so large.
    For now I don't use RFID enabled cards and don't see a need to get one. OTOH if I would have one I would probably buy wallet with protection when I would be changing my wallet.

5. Cabville

Cabville Registered Member

Except that is not what it says. It says that RFID cards are so rare, that most people are worried about a threat that doesn't even apply to them.

This completely ignores the fact that most people don't have an unencrypted RFID device.

An RFID reader would only get "thousands of numbers" if thousands of unencrypted RFID cards walked through the door. A fact not in evidence at this time. If RFID theft was as easy and prevalent as you think, why do people still bother with skimmers?

6. Jerry666

Jerry666 Registered Member

My gas card visa and other cards have a chip , can pay at gas station or Tim hortons and other places by waving the card and have been this way for years

7. SirDrexl

SirDrexl Registered Member

I'm curious as to why contactless payment was introduced in the first place. The benefits seem to be trivial (slightly easier use? reduction of wear and tear on cards/readers?), while the potential security drawbacks are pretty huge. But I guess you could say that about a lot of "internet of things" devices.

I read something about it being more convenient as it doesn't require a signature, but then why couldn't they have come up with a system that scans the chip AND still needs to read the card physically?

8. quietman

quietman Registered Member

To us customers , yes .

I know someone in a senior position at a large retail chain.
    They like the system , claiming that it speeds transactions by a second or two.
    I guess if you scale that up to thousands of transactions per day , in hundreds of stores .... ?

Interestingly , they had some " range issues " when they were first introduced.
    A number of customers reported seeing transactions for things they had not bought , even though
    they were in the store at that date and time.

This has now been "corrected " .... ..... allegedly :)

9. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

You've taken what he said completely out of context. He is not saying to actually use aluminium foil. The article makes it very clear, that is highly unlikely that anyone would actually steal your RFID info (and he gives a good explanation as to why he believes that), and therefore there is no need to do anything to protect your cards.

10. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

I find it somewhat funny, that people here use tons of security software they do not need, they are too smart to get infected.
    But on the other hand, they refuse to use something, that is clearly beneficially and knowing about security, easily bypassable.
    And as I said before, it is not just about credit cards, identity theft is a known issue, already being exploited, even thanks to RFID.

Going to the shops sometimes even several times a day it can save minutes each day. Paying by cash or a classic card takes about the same amount of time, contactcless is faster, even with PIN. Without a PIN, it takes 2-3 seconds and you can go. Cash and cards takes from 30 secs to several minutes.

11. quietman

quietman Registered Member

On the BBC website today -
    " Surge in contactless card payments "

Consumer affairs publication "Which?" brings up some security issues .... and guess what ...
    .... it's our old friend tin-foil again :)

12. kronckew

kronckew Registered Member

yup, no problem here. the odds of anyone illegally reading my card details are so small, why worry. just like my pc doesn't need all them firewalls and anti-malware programs. it'll never happen to me. i LIKE all them browser helper bars and helpful popups that take up wasted space on my screen, free dating services, and the kind offers to scan my system for errors for only £49.95 it even includes a free encryption service for my entire hard drive. it only will cost me £500 to get the password for when i next reboot. security is for wimps. my home doesn't have any expensive security systems, why bother. here in central london, i can easily get my flat emptied out in a few minutes, leaving a nice clean flat for the insurance guy to fill up again. he does tell me my premiums may go up by 5000 percent tho. next time i may need to move to the country. if i can find my car, that is. i left it around here somewhere, i'm sure. it's the one with the keys still in it. ah, well, gotta go. i have a tons of useful and helpful emails to read.

p.s. - i saved 2.3 seconds with my swipe card today. odd, but they declined my card. seems my account shows as overdrawn by a few thou. will have to discuss that with the bank tomorrow morning, if i can get to the bank. strange, my iphone isn't working either. error 53.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2016
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.