Why would I use anything but Comodo Firewall?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by duke1959, Dec 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vhick

vhick Registered Member

may i know how many merory footprint used by za free or other firewall free?

thanks!

2. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

Here is a thread about firewall memory usage. Be aware that the amounts will vary from one system to the next. Other things such as current programs being loaded, PC hardware, and other factors can affect the actual memory use at any given time.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=159216

3. vhick

vhick Registered Member

sir, the link you give to me is an av meromy usage. not on firewalls...

4. Hyperion

Hyperion Registered Member

Personally what i don't like in Comodo is:

1)The online activation (if it's free,why not allow offline activation?)
    2)I only kept it for about 5 minutes,but the GUI seemed weird.
    3)Worst of all,i opened my task manager and it was with everything idle,spiking at 5-6% of my CPU ,which for me is unacceptable for ANY application that runs at startup.

5. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

Sorry about that. It is on AV memory usage and not firewalls. My mistake.:oops:

6. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

7. vhick

vhick Registered Member

that ok sir!

its just my thought on how free firewalls used system resource. i remember when im first installed a firewall 2 years ago, its za free and a lot of problems on it specially on system resource. i know this is not a big deal for a huge pc specs but its better if any program is used a low system recource.

thanks sir!;)

8. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

Zone Alarm Free has gotten bigger over the years and some people still use version 4 and 5. I use 6.1.744.001 because the version 6.5 was reported to have quite a few problems. The other free firewalls that I read about such as Kerio and Comodo had used quite a bit of resources. The later versions of Comodo appears to have been adjusted to use lesser resources. Two firewalls that use very little resources is Kerio 2.15 and Look'n'stop (which is not free). Netveda was also reported to use little system resources, but the program like Kerio 2.15, is not supported anymore.

Two years ago, ZA was updated to version 5.5. According to the release history, there were quite a few bugs with the program such as system stability issues that were addressed. Perhaps the later versions would be more stable on your PC?
    http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/free/information/znalm/zaReleaseHistory.html

9. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

It's Sygate, silly.

Circa 1992 Clinton campaign slogan a bit twisted.

10. KDNeese

KDNeese Registered Member

The latest free version of ZA seems to be a vast improvement over some previous releases. On my system memory usage is pretty average, anywhere from 12-18MB. There are other firewalls I have used that use a great deal more (sometimes 3-4 times more). It also seems to be very stable and has caused me no problems whatsoever. I use SSM and NOD32 along with it and they get along just fine. I would advise against using Kerio 2.1.5, Look n' Stop or Netveda unless you are somewhat of an advanced user. I used Kerio 2.1.5 before but had some problems with it losing rules, changing rule order and other bugs. There are also some security issues with some of these older firewalls that you don't have with Zone Alarm. Since it's free, there's no harm in trying it.

11. vhick

vhick Registered Member

i dont remember what version of za is. i think it is 4.5 and it give me a real headace.

i test jetico on my copy of my working snapshot (fd-isr) with my program installed and it always hang that result to push the cpu power. but when i try to the copy of my fresh snapshot with no programs installed, its ok. i dont know what cause a problem.

maybe i try again za once mo. if i satified, maybe i will used it again...

thanks!

12. asyland

asyland Registered Member

Funny. I had problems w/Jetico and FD-ISR as well. After about a week of trying to get them to coexist I gave up. I tried Comodo, but found it too buggy. After I read KDNeese's comments, I tried ZA free again. So far it's running smooth w/about 20 MB between vsmon and zclient, and all ports stealthed. For my gaming profile in FD-ISR, I went with Ghostwall. I might just use Ghostwall on both profiles, but I like to experiment, and so far ZA seems fine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.