Why would I choose the latest ZA Free over Comodo Pro?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by duke1959, Jul 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

One reason for me would be because I always liked the way ZA was layed out within the GUI, but my fear of using it prompts me to ask this question. I already know about CPF leaktests capabilities, but at this point I no longer worry about leaktests. I just want to settle on something stable that I like using and am hoping ZA Free has now become that.

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Id use Comodo over ZA because its less bloated (at least I think it is. Havent used ZA in a while). and the upcoming v3 is very light on resources.

However, if youre happy with ZA then you should use it.

3. flyrfan111

flyrfan111 Registered Member

A lot of people get caught up in what is the "Best" FW, AV, AS, AT or whatever other software you come up with. The real answer is there is no best for everyone. If ZA works for you on your system, and you are comfortable with it and know how to set it up and use it, then use it. What works best for YOU is what is best.

4. duke1959

Honestly I just like the way Zone Alarm is layed out, and am just concerned with problems that have plagued so many of the ZA releases. I realize many of these troubles were more from the Pro and Suite versions, but I am still a little bit hesitant to replace Comodo Pro with something that may be troublesome just because I like the GUI better. I'm asking the question so I can get enough opinions on the latest version to push me into trying it again. Thanks so far for everyones responses.

5. dmenace

dmenace Registered Member

Zone Alarm is better than Comodo when it comes to set up rules for networking / file sharing. On the firewall tab, all you have to do is select trusted zone for your network adapter and your network is set up.

In Comodo however, to create a network you run a wizard that creates a rule that allows ANYTHING from your home lan to communicate with your pc. Thus Comodo appears less secure in this regard as even when Zonealarm is set to trusted zone it still is not in Allow All mode like Comodo.

Zone Alarm appears to be more refined and stable as it has been around for a while. The only disadvantage is its relatively bloated.

However ZoneAlarm will definetely have LESS alerts than Comodo as it will not ask you about suspicious (ie. leak test) methods applications may use to connect to the internet.

I for one use Comodo but am extremely disatisfied with its network rules that lack to quality of say look'n'stop, that can be configured to block ip/mac spoofing etc. Comodo is all about application control and its network rules are less secure than even the free version of Zone Alarm, and sadly this will remain the case even with version 3. :(

6. Tunerz

Tunerz Registered Member

Even Comodo's Firewall is excellent on leak test, it is more important on what runs best on your machine. Why would you use something that is troublesome on your machine anyway?

From what I know, Comodo can be set up to block IP addresses.

7. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

If you like ZAF more,then go for it.I like very much the interface and simplicity myself.The one thing i don't like is its habbit to phone home that i have read of several times.That's why i use Kerio 2.

8. duke1959

I am just a little afraid of any troubles there may still be with ZA. I looked in the ZA Forum and it doesn't look good as far as the new Pro and Suite versions go. I like Comodo Pro and even PC Tools Firewall, but again if ZA Free is trouble free at this point it is the one i like best as far s the GUI and simplicity.

9. beads

beads Registered Member

Comodo has put together a nice little (free) firewall app. No doubt about it. I haven't used ZA for a while but sometimes its best to stick with what you know. Comodo can be a bit tiresome to setup for myself as its s-o-o-o-o-o very "Gui-ized" that it slows me down over a command line.

In reality its really about your preference - either should serve you well. The worst tool is the one you never use and thus never protected.

- beads

10. duke1959

I don't want to make make more out of my concerns with ZA Free than should be made here, but uninstall issues do worry me a bit. I personally never had trouble uninstalling either CPF or PC Tools FW, but did have some with the first Check Point version of ZA Free several months ago. Apparently the /clean uninstall didn't work like it had with the older versions. Also although it may not pertain to the free version, there have been some reports of noticeable PC slow downs with the paid versions of ZA.

11. fax

fax Registered Member

Hi!
    if you want to use ZAfree (basic firewall) you can safely stay with version 6.5 or 6.1.

ZAfree 7 comes with ZASS 7 embedded, large installer and unwanted + nonfuctional addon.
    ZAfree 7 basic firewall features haven't changed and apart from a new Z icon in the systray and few updated drivers... its just the same as 6.X.

Or if you are happy with another firewall stay with it...

Cheers,
    Fax
    EDIT: 1) and on the slow boot-up... I have never had such a problem on the three ZA install I am running (2 XP and one VISTA). I have see all sort of explanations, but nothing definitive... so it looks like machine dependent. Some user do suffer from slow down other not at all.
    2) on uninstall: just check after uninstall that "Internet Log" folder (in Windows folder ) + ZoneLabs folder in system32 + "Zone Labs" in program files are also removed. If not remove them manually. This should solve any uninstall/reinstall issues.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2007
  12. duke1959

Thanks for the advice fax. I just went back into the ZA Forums and you're not the only one telling people to stick with 6.1 or a later version of 6.5. The embedding of the Suite isn't good huh? Anyway, what was the best 6.5 version? the first 3 had some problems, but the last two were good correct? I think one of them was 6.5.737 if I remeber correctly.

13. fax

fax Registered Member

yep, 6.5.737 was regarded as the most stable and flawless by many.
    Other users are also still at 6.1...

Cheers,
    Fax

14. duke1959

Thanks again fax. I may just try 6.5.737 or 6.1 again since both ran well for me. I have even used a very stable 4.5 version at one time. I don't really worry about leaktests and like the ZA GUI better than others. Do you have a preference between 6.1. and 6.5.737? I think although 6.1 used less memory, but 6.5.737 ran smoother with faster boot up times.

15. fax

fax Registered Member

Your welcome Duke...

To be honest, its a long time I am not using 6.5 or 6.1. Always updated to the latest version without issues... I guess you may want to try 6.5 instead of 6.1 and see how it goes.

Yep, unless you move to ZApro, ZAfree is quite bad on leaktests.
    Well, a firewall passing leaktest does not necessarily mean that its a good firewall ;)

Cheers,
    Fax

16. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

That's one of the BIG concerns with ZA. You have to play Russian Roulette with the upgrades in the hope you don't get a pc stopping version that screws up your system. If you finally make that one too many upgrades and are confronted with a bug, you then need the special clean uninstall instructions so you can hopefully get rid of all of the app. If you follow the instructions exactly you will have cleaned ZA from your system. What amazes me are the folks who re-install a different version in the hopes that it is the stable one. Be thankful you got it all out and move on.

17. Jon_T

Jon_T Registered Member

Agree, and hence have finally given up hope for ZA. :(

Still using ZA Pro 5.5.094.000 and just recently let my ZA license expire. Been using ZA since 2.0.
    Had no interest in the ZA Pro 6.x and newer versions not only because of all the reported problems by users, but because of all the non-firewall features/bloat (Anti-Spyware, etc.) added to ZA Pro.

Had no interest in ZA ISS because really do not care for security suites; plus older versions using CA VET AV. :thumbd:

IMHO the best software "firewall" product by ZoneLabs was ZA Plus.

18. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

You might like Comodo. My shutdown time went from 28 seconds with ZA to 19 seconds with Comodo. I installed it in the Auto mode, put it in it's learning mode for a while and then in custom mode, and forgot it. :)

19. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.