why won't this work?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by blockage, Sep 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blockage

blockage Registered Member

Please excuse what might be a silly question from a new TI 8 user...

I'm trying to copy an activated XP Pro image from one PC to another. On the old PC, I ran sysprep -activated -nosidgen to prepare the drive. Then I removed the drive and attached it to an external USB2 enclosure that's connected to my laptop. I ran TI8 and used the Create Image function to image the partition to the hard drive on my laptop. I then removed the original hard drive, and replaced it in the USB enclosure with the new hard drive. I ran TI8 Restore Image to restore that image onto the new hard drive. The problem I see when I install that restored image (on the new hard drive) into the PC (a different PC too) is a msg that NTLDR isn't installed. I thought that scenario should have worked, but I must be missing something. Any help out there for a new TI usero_O :doubt:

TIA

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello --

You say you imaged "partition" - in that case MBR is not copied, and the drive won't (or rather can be not) bootable.

Please try to image the whole drive and repeat the procedure. You may also try a "Disk clone" and see if the result is different.

Thank you.

3. blockage

blockage Registered Member

That was my problem...I only imaged the partition, not the entire disk.

thank you for the help!

4. Allen L.

Allen L. Registered Member

In the Acronis info section of help, it says that *all* the partition is copied, including the MBR. I have restored a Operation System partition to a 'different' partition that would not have a MBR on it, and Acronis copied the active partition that I had imaged to the partition and it booted. When one backs up a C: drive partition, as the program shows in default mode, and puts that image on a separate hard drive, it *does* copy the complete partition, MBR and all, or so say's Acronis. I have read this statement from Support that it does not do so...the program will *not* image all MBR's from multible operating systems if more than one 'active system' is on the disk with a 'boot manager', but if one is running say, only Windows XP as the active partition, if imaged, according to Acronis it is copied *exactly*. That would mean that *all* of the partition is copied including the MBR...not just part of it. *All* means *All*.

I think these statements from support are *very* confusing the way they are stated. In other posts it has been shown that the way I say above is true. If this is not the case, then using Acronis to image an active partition is totally useless if your present hard disk crashes and you have to put the active partition on another hard drive. *That* is the *reason* we use imaging programs...for such happenings. If we only want to copy data, we don't need this program, and all the other options of Acronis are 'moot', as then *every* image would *have* to be a complete disk copy in order to be able to restore with the MBR intact and you, support, know this cannot be true, or you better re-write the info on Acronis and also the help section.

Allen L.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.