Why won't my cloned disk boot?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by tvhurts, Aug 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tvhurts

tvhurts Registered Member

Hey

I'm trying to clone XP to another disk for backup using TI 9.0 But when I try and boot from the backup drive I just get a flashing cursor...

I've read around and tried using Windows Recovery Console (to repair mbr) but it won't accept my administrator password. I looked at the workround on MS website but that requires creating a floppy boot. I don't have a floppy drive - never needed one before.

So guys, any other solutions, or am I gonna have to bite the bullet and buy a floppy and follow this method (seems a bit arcane??)

Thanks in advance! :thumb:
    tv

2. tvhurts

Hey

I forgot to mention, I've also tried creating the bootable CD described in the READ HERE BEFORE YOU POST post.

Unfortunately it said no commands found, press Enter to restart, and then it loops and nothing happens?

3. Mac25

Mac25 Registered Member

4. tvhurts

thanks for the link, I already read that, the recovery console won't accept my password....

anyone else?

cheers

5. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

Sounds like you didn't disconnect the original drive before rebooting. I'm assuming that this is an internal drive. Look here for a possible solution:
    http://www.goodells.net/multiboot/partsigs.htm

6. tvhurts

I did actually try disconnecting all other drives so it would only boot to the backup, but that didn't work unfortunately, I still got the flashing cursor.

I just tried cloning the disk again (for the fourth time!), and this time it worked no probs!! :cool:

Hope I don't have to do it four times next time around :isay:

Thanks mac25 and thomasjk for your help! :D

7. Wolkenbeisser

Wolkenbeisser Registered Member

I have the same problem.

When I make a clone (SATA-II), everything works fine. But after 2 - 3 days the clone doesn't start anymore (black screen and blinking cursor). The original always works fine.

Sometimes the clone lives 4 days, sometimes only 2 and sometimes it won't start anymore at the same evening.

I tried many things (changing HDD's, reinstall the original HDD), but nothing helped.

First I thought it was a HW-problem. But because the original always works I changed my mind.

next step is BIOS-Update (ASUS A8N32 SLI DELUXE) and update of SATA-I drivers.

Maybe I should change the cloning software? I'm fighting against this problem for over a month now (many many clones, I tell you!) but I can't find the problem.

Interesting point: From May 06 until July 06 I had no problem with cloning, but suddenly after 1st of August the problems begann. since then only the original works fine, an the clones always "die" afte 2 - 3 days.

can anyone help me?

Thanks for your appreciated help

8. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Wolkenbeisser,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

Please note that is a very strange behavior and it is looks like that it does not related to Acronis True Image since the drive was bootable and you were able to use it after the clone is finished.

However, if you would like to investigate this issue please do the following:

1) Create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post when you first boot from the cloned hard drive. After these files is create rename them to report_before.txt and system_information_before.nfo

2) Please also do the following:

- Run the Acronis Report Utility once;

- Select the "Create Bootable Floppy" option;

- Insert a blank floppy disk in the A: drive and proceed with creation of the bootable floppy;

- When the system on the cloned drive stops booting use this diskette to boot your computer wait for report creation process to finish;

- Collect the report file from the floppy.

- Rename it to report_after.txt

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the issue and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.