Why Upgrade From 9 to 10?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by bulldog356, Nov 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bulldog356

bulldog356 Registered Member

I'm trying to find a compelling reason to upgrade from TI 9 Home [3677] to TI 10, and I can't. Maybe I'm missing something? Here are the new features, as described in the User Guide, Section 1.2:

Backup locations – set up local or network backup storage locations with automatic archives management.
    I was among those clamoring for a way to maintain a rotating archive of backups. I should be happy with this 'new' feature - but I taught myself how to do it with a pre-execution batch file. The only advantage for me with "backup locations" is that backup files can be named with
    their creation dates, whereas my backup files are called backup_1, backup_2, etc. However, with one click I can find out their creation dates.

Backup policies – schedule tasks that will back up all data, data changes against the previous backup or data changes against the initial backup (i.e. perform full, incremental or differential backup) in a desired order.
    Is this a new feature? Can't this already be done in v9?

Direct backup to FTP servers.
    This will be of value - when/if I start backing up to an FTP server.

Windows applications backup – save a copy of your application settings.
    Microsoft Outlook and Outlook Express backup – back up messages, user accounts and settings.

I do this on my own. And this won't help me if I switch to Firefox and Thunderbird.

Data categories – back up categories of files: documents, finance, images, music, video. You can add any number of custom categories containing any files and folders.
    This is a feature? If that kind of categorization were important to me, I would setup my folder structure in that way and do a regular backup. Besides, v9 backs up folders.

Explore archives – easily search and recover particular files in archives just as in Windows Explorer.
    Do the same in v9 by mounting the archive.

One-click backup – launch the backup wizard by right-clicking on a disk, file or folder icon and selecting Backup in the context menu. The program will automatically mark the selected item for backup.
    A new way to launch the backup wizard. Okay...

Acronis Secure Zone password protection – restrict unauthorized access to data in your Acronis Secure Zone backups and F11 boot.
    I don't understand...the contents of the Secure Zone are invisible unless you're in True Image. And if someone can get into True Image they can see everything.

E-mail notifications and alerts confirm backup tasks and results.
    OK, here's something new. Is it a reason to upgrade?

The only reason I can see to upgrade - one that isn't mentioned as a new feature in Section 1.2 - is that v10 is compatible with Vista. If you plan to use TI with Vista, you want to get v10. Myself, I won't be using Vista until the early adopters have dealt with the initial bugs, so I'm good with XP for another 6 months, at least. BTW, do we know for a fact that v9 is not compatible with Vista?

To those who have already upgraded...is there something valuable that I'm missing? Bug fixes, perhaps? Is the program more stable in some way?

2. adamdz

adamdz Registered Member

Well, one good reason would be if they fixed all the USB bugs in version 9 that were described in length by many users on this forum. Unfortunately, rather than addressing complaints and fixing the bigs in version 9 Acronis released a paid upgrade to 10. Very disappointing...

<A>

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello bulldog356,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Please find my comments below.

Please note that the Backup Location Management feature also includes consolidation or deletion of the archive files. When you start backup to Backup Location, the selected location will be checked and, if any limitation is exceeded, the oldest backups will be consolidated or deleted.

Usually, Backup Location is used in conjunction with scheduled tasks to create a reliable backup strategy.

Yes, this is a new feature of Acronis True Image 10.0 Home. Using Backup Polices along with scheduled tasks allow you to create a flexible scheduled tasks.

Please note that Backup Policies are available when you schedule a backup task to create image archive to Backup Locations only. I would recommend that you have a look at this thread for more details.

This is also one of the new features of Acronis True Image 10.0 Home. One of the purposes of this feature is that you can configure a category, associate file types with it and then use this predefined category for further backups. For example, you can configure a category to include all *.doc files stored on the hard drive. You will not need to browse through the drives tree to include each *.doc file anymore. You can find more information in Chapter 5.2.2 "My Data backup" in the Acronis True Image 10.0 HomeUser's Guide.

Not exactly. Using Mount Image tool of Acronis True Image you can only mount image archives that have partitions. If a image archive is created from individual files or folders, then Acronis True Image cannot mount it.

Using Explore Backup Archive tool of Acronis True Image 10.0 Home you can view the content of disk/partition images and file-level archives. Please find more information in Chapter 12. "Exploring archives and mounting images" in the Acronis True Image 10.0 Home User’s Guide.

Please note that if the Acronis Secure Zone is password-protected, the proper password must be entered before any operation with Acronis Secure Zone can take place.

I hope my explanation will help you to make a decision.

If you have any further questions concerning Acronis software, please feel free to submit a request for technical support or post any of them on this forum. We will certainly try to help you in resolving any issues.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

4. bulldog356

bulldog356 Registered Member

So sorry for taking such a long time to respond. I have not looked at this thread for quite some time.

Many thanks for all your helpful information.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.