Why this error when creating image?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Mele20, Apr 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I have TI version 8.

Why do I get this error when trying to create an image? The error makes no sense as I am creating the image on an external USB drive.

Plus, why if I do an incremental image does it take the same amount of time (about 2 hours or longer) as to do a full image?
    _________

Attached Files:

2. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

You will have a Moderator after you for cutting into another thread with this same subject [​IMG]. As the old saying goes Patience is a virtue.

Are you doing the backup from Windows or the recovery CD ?

3. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

From Windows. I figured out the problem. I hope I don't forget again as each time I've wanted to make an image I have been confused about this. I don't often make an image because it takes so long so I forget how to do it.

I wasn't cutting in that thread. The discussion had been about length of time for backups and evolved beyond that.

4. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hi Mele20,

How about letting us in on the secret? :doubt: :)

Regarding the length of time it takes to create your Incremental image - is it more or less the same size as the original Full image? If so then there are usually two main reasons for this:

1. Your source disk has been defragged in between the images (most likely).

or

2. The file system has become corrupted or unrecognisable to TI, which then defaults to a sector-by-sector backup mode (less likely).

Regards

5. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I interpreted the popup to mean that I should choose the drive where I want the image saved instead of the drive that I want to image. I had been selecting SeaDisk. Dumb mistake but I have made it each time and because I don't image often, I forget each time what I did wrong. I recall that I made a mistake that gets me that error but I have an awful time recalling what I did wrong. To me, that screen is confusing. I'm sure it wouldn't be if I imaged more often and remembered what to do as it is actually simple...as long as I remember. Plus, there is a checkmark already by the NTFS drive which should clue me in...but it doesn't. Hopefully,now I will remember.

As for an incremental backup taking about as long as a full one that estimate was due to that error I was getting. Once I figured out what I was doing wrong, then the estimate was about 30 minutes and that is what it took.

Attached Files:

6. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Thanks for the explanation Mele20. Hopefully it'll prevent someone else making the same mistake. :D

Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.