Why the install

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by stedlj, Jan 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stedlj

stedlj Registered Member

I am looking for software to make an image of my home computer, I would like to test a number of software products and would like to return the computer to the way it was before.

I believe Acronis True Image would do this but why would I have to install it? Doesn't it boot from a CD make or restore an image of the drive without installing software?

2. tuttle

tuttle Guest

You need to install the software, as the software will then create the Bootable Recovery Disk. You can then boot from the Bootable Recovery Disk to do all backups and restores.

In fact, I don't have True Image installed on my PC. I installed it initially, simply so that I could create the Bootable Recovery Disk. Then I uninstalled True Image as I have no need for it on my PC, and I don't like the utilities such as TrueImageMonitor that run contstantly in the background.

Whenever I want to make a backup image, I just boot from the Bootable Recovery Disk.

Do not create the Secure Zone. I did once to try it, and it made my system unbootable and unrecoverable. I've never used Secure Zone since that time. Here's an old post someone else made about Secure Zone:
    So, install the software initially and create your Bootable Recovery Disk. From then on you can exclusively use the Bootable Recovery Disk as I do.

3. stedlj

stedlj Registered Member

Thanks,

I rebuild my system every 6-9 months and would like a way to get is back to a basic build faster and easier. And with Vista coming with more security/licensing on it, I would like to avoid sitting on the phone with MS trying to get software I bought working again. Been there, done that, more than once for home and work.

4. starsfan09

starsfan09 Registered Member

Tuttle replied well to your question.
    I for one...also use the Boot-CD. Had to install TI to make the CD, but afterwords, removed it. I have no need for the software as well. Everything I do, is done manually because I always run "Chkdsk", and then "Defrag" before the Imaging. I make about 2 FULL Images a month. Or, when something big changes, I'll make an Image at that moment.

Another thing I like about using the Boot-CD is... the Operating System (Windows) is Not Loaded during the Imaging process.

Several users have posted that Windows tried to install updates...at the exact moment time TI was making an Image. Don't need a degree in Rocket Science to know that's a recipe for disaster!:ouch:

5. stedlj

stedlj Registered Member

Will it allow me to make a clone to an external USB harddrive? Looking at the manual, it talks about backup to USB device but does not talk about Clone to USB?

6. Ralphie

Ralphie Registered Member

Yep, it will let you Clone to usb - even ver 9 does that.

7. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Why would you clone to a USB drive. Do you intend to take the hard drive out of the USB enclosure and install it in your computer?

A clone is one copy of a drive. If you make images, you can store several images on the same USB drive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.