Why tax on checkout?

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by jfcarbel, Feb 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jfcarbel

jfcarbel Registered Member

I am planning on renewing a license for NOD32. But I live in Illinois and the only local US office that ESET shows is in San Diego, so why is the checkout page showing an extra $6 in sales tax when this is an online purchase?

Newegg.com for software shows no tax so why is NOD32 license renewel showing it on esets page. And yes, this is from esets website and not a resellers page.

I refuse to renew and pay taxes when it is not neccessary and I have not in the past.

2. jfcarbel

jfcarbel Registered Member

UPDATE: I decided to order from a reseller on here - amazingantivirus.com and they do not charge sales tax and the renew price was better.

However, it was confusing on how their renew process works. I supplied them with my NOD32 username/password and am wondering whats next. Hopefully I will be emailed instructions once payment is processed fully.

Also their site asked for current expiration date. In NOD32 it shows my expiration expired on 1/4/08 and that was what I entered on their form. I just hope their system is smart enough to know that that is a date in the past and to set the 2 year renew I purchased from the current date (todays date) forward. And not use an older date, which would make no sense for me to pay them for a license for which it was unused for a whole month.

3. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

The reseller system requires us to MANUALLY enter orders into it (ESET seems afraid of giving us an API to code orders to process automatically) - so I am sure the date will match up if you provided it. I know do this all the time.

4. Capp

Capp Registered Member

As the owner of AmazingAntivirus.com, i can tell you that your license renewal date started as of today, when you ordered it. The option to tell us the expiration date is primarily used for people that want to purchase their renewal before it expires. That allows us to enter their renewal without them losing any time on their current license.

Also, by supplying us with your username/password, we can tell the license system to keep your new license with the same info, that way you dont have to do anything to your setup.

HTH and thanks for choosing us

5. edwin3333

edwin3333 Registered Member

Legally, you are required to pay sales tax regardless of which state you bought it from. If a vendor collects it and pays it for you, they are doing you a service. If they don't, then you have to compute sales tax yourself and pay it. The fact is a lot of people may not do this, but a lot of people also speed. Doesn't make it legal.

We do this on 100% of our mail order and online purchases.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.