Why some Firefox users choose not to update

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ronjor, Aug 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Mozilla Security Blog

2. StevieO

StevieO Registered Member

There are some understandable reasons in that report why people were reticent to upgrade.

I've decided to stick with FF v3.0.13 because, often immediately updating any software can/does cause problems. Not only that, but i read about various issues with v3.5 etc, so felt it wiser to wait and see, for now anyway.

3. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I haven't had any issues with v3.5. Maybe I'm missing something. :doubt:

4. beethoven

beethoven Registered Member

Same here - no issues but that's why you have some rollback program or image just in case something does go wrong. Then again, with Opera and Firefox I am usually so confident that I don't even take a snapshot just before updating. o_O

5. norky

norky Registered Member

it's just a browser. if it doesn't work the way you want it to just uninstall and reinstall an older version. really not a big deal as some make it out to be.

6. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

I've had no problems with FF 3.5 except for one, and that might have been just a fluke coincidence of timing (I don't usually believe in those with regard to computer problems, though).

Avast a-v, which I've used for years, sets up a "transparent" proxy which doesn't (supposedly) require any manual user settings on XP systems. But after upgrading from dialup to DSL I noticed sometimes lengthy "looking up" delays, which became much worse after updating FF from 3.1-whatever to 3.5.

I found that by changing FF's network setting from auto-detect proxy to a specific HTTP proxy setting (127.0.0.1 port 12080), I greatly improved speed to the point where I hardly ever see "looking up" now except when connecting to an HTTPS site. My son thinks that the delay all along was from looking up the proxy each time I hit a new addy, rather than DNS lookup, and for whatever reason something was changed in 3.5 which performed this proxy lookup much slower.

Oddly, IE8 on the rare occasion I need it works just fine set to auto-detect, which seems to strongly indicate that the problem's in FF.

7. Greg S

Greg S Registered Member

I agree. I'm still using Fx 1.5

8. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

I generally wait to do a major version upgrade, security fixes I do right away.

The primary and really only reason I wait is extention compatabiity. Normally I will wait until it's offered via update, by then most of the extentions I use have been upgraded. Those that have not been upgraded I search for replacements. I almost always find a replacement; which so far those replacements turn out to be a better choice.

9. Firebytes

Firebytes Registered Member

I have used avast! for quite a long time alongside Firefox and I have my proxy settings set to "No Proxy". Even with the latest version of each program this works fine on my XP systems. The proxy of avast! is supposed to be transparent as you said with no manual changes required on XP.

10. renegade08

renegade08 Registered Member

Well the people are wondering same thing these days about IE 6. Why they don't update? And MS refused to abandon IE 6 users.
    Maybe i'm missing something too.

Attached Files:

• ie6.jpg
      ie6.jpg
      File size:
      177.7 KB
      Views:
  11. StevieO

StevieO Registered Member

Yeah i'm still on IE6, but locked down ! No probs at all.

12. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

Thanks, Firebytes. I just now tried changing to your no-proxy setting, and re-encountered that long looking-up delay again. Switching back to the manual proxy configuration cleared that up again.

So I assume that for whatever reason, on my system the manual setting is necessary. Since the problem first started when I went to DSL, maybe it's a setting or settings in my router-modem and/or network card ... but since IE-8 doesn't exhibit the same problem regardless of proxy setting, I find it hard to believe the problem's not in the browser.

13. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

Oh this pic is AWESOME!

Me saves for a wallpaper, heheh...

14. renegade08

renegade08 Registered Member

Yea, it sure is AWESOME. And it's hilarious too.
    When i first saw it several months ago i have known that i have to post it here, but i was waiting for oportunity.

15. Capp

Capp Registered Member

I'm using v3.0.10 and will stick with it for awhile.

It never fails, anytime I do finally breakdown and upgrade to the newest version, several of my themes/add-ons don't have a current version that is compatible. I stayed with v2 for a long time after v3 was released for that very reason. Finally, the updates were released for those add-ons and I was able to move forward with v3.

Having the "latest and greatest" isn't always the best option, in my opinion.

If something works, don't muck with it. ;)

16. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Microsoft still supports IE6 because it is the native Windows XP version and because it is the one that has all the basics and nothing that might not be needed in some enviroments . I mean no stupid tabs , no stupid accelerators , smart screens . IE6 has proven histrory and that is why quite a lot of admins still keep it . Reason is - it works fine . No need of "security" improvements when the admin has anyway secured their environment.

However , even though I kept our IE6 and whole systems up-to-date I have had quite a lot of problems and crashed from IE6 on my XP SP3 until I upgraded to IE7/IE8

off-topic <Even though I use IE , Chrome is something that needs to be checked :)>

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.