Why not?

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by erikguy, Jul 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. erikguy

erikguy Registered Member

I remember reading a thread made recently where someone asked the question... "does Spyware Blaster protect against trojans?". The dragged out answer was no. Well my question to Javacool is... inevitably... why not? Everyone knows that Javacool Software is dedicated to privacy. And I can't think of any other classification of software more intrusive than trojans. I'm sure Javacool would agree with me on this. I'm sorry to seem so demanding but it's just that I regard Spyware Blaster as one of the best pieces of software available on the net. And I'd like to continue thinking that.

2. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

<snip> spywareblaster protects against harmful activeX controls and tracking cookies ONLY.
    Why don't you ask javacool himself if you have any enquiries about spywareblaster or go to www.javacoolsoftware.com

edited to remove unecessary wording - Detox

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2004
  3. erikguy

Speaking of cookies I still don't see Uproar.com on the list... ;)

4. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

Spyware Blaster is just one layer of defence. It is almost impossible to have a app. that quards against all types of nasties. There are excellent anti-tronjan apps. available. Also dont forget SB is a freeware app. and is very good. It takes a lot of time for JC to develop these tools and to maintain.

quoting Nadirah: Why don't you ask javacool himself if you have any enquiries about spywareblaster or go to www.javacoolsoftware.not.

Nadirah this is the official Javacool Software Forum.

Regards,

Gerard

5. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Anti-Trojan technology is entirely different than what SpywareBlaster does. All the protections of SpywareBlaster amount to setting some flags in the registry... 1. To set kill-bits on ActiveX controls, 2. To add sites to the restricted zone, and 3. To block cookies.

Anti-Trojans product generally involve "scanners", either file scanners (like TDS-3 or Trojan Hunter) or memory scanners (like BOClean). SpywareBlaster doesn't have any type of scanner in it.

It's a totally different market space for that matter, as well. Sure Javacool could certainly decide he wanted to go into the AT business, but SpywareBlaster isn't at all related to AT functionality, so he'd have to start a new product from scratch.

6. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Hi,

LowWaterMark offers an excellent explanation.

That said, if any trojan tries to install via ActiveX, SpywareBlaster can block it, and I'll add it to SpywareBlaster's database (there are a few currently in the database because they do exactly that). :)

Best regards,

-Javacool

7. TonyKlein

TonyKlein Security Expert

Well, you should continue to think that.

However, SpywareBlaster ONLY protects you from ActiveX based malware in its Database, and it has also a number of other very useful features.

But that's its job, nothing less, nothing more.

It's not an antivirus, nor an antitrojan, nor an all round spyware cleaner, and it won't do dishes either...

It's "only" an extremely valuable extra layer of defense, and therefore IMHO an application everyone should have installed.

8. TonyKlein

TonyKlein Security Expert

Whoops, hi Javacool! :)

9. erikguy

Well I know that it does protect against a couple. I mean I've seen them on the list with the "find" feature. And I know ActiveX is only part of the story when it comes to internet protection. And I also know that Spybot protects against a couple of trojans here and there too. I mean for a while I only used the Spybot protection and it never found one of the trojans in its database. What I was trying to get cleared up is... whether SWB could in fact stop some trojans? I know there's just far too many to reach a 100% protection. And that most of them probably don't use ActiveX as a means to enter the system. But thanks everyone I think I did get my question answered.

PS: I'm going to donate to Javacool as soon as I can do another scan for trojans! (I don't usually like the idea of using my Visa online)
    PSS: I know SWB doesn't have a scanner so I'm using a2.
    PSSS: You don't have <snip>. You make it sound like a "Junior Member" doesn't know anything about software when in reality all it means is that I'm new to the site. By the way a Senior Member should know that this is the official Javacool support site in which you can contact the team.

edited to remove unecessary wording - Detox

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2004
  10. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Let's play nice gentlemen - no need to make personal comments whatsoever.

11. erikguy

Sorry sir. I'm just a little irritated at.... well I guess some things are better left unsaid...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.