Why NOD32 is so stinkin cool!

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by windstrings, Oct 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Howard

Howard Registered Member

Are you saying the new EMON module checks email for IMAP accounts with Outlook XP? Because that would be a development in which I would be very interested as I use Outlook XP more or less exclusively with an IMAP account.

2. flyrfan111

flyrfan111 Registered Member

Actually I wouldn't know, My post could be alittle confusing. The EMON beta checks all of my email accounts with Outlook XP, but I only use POP and SMTP, so I don't know if it checks IMAP or not. IMON doesn't/didn't check my hotmail accounts which EMON does(perhaps it was just a configuration error on my part, but EMON does it without any configuring) I am sure some one will be along to comment on whether it does/can scan IMAP or not. Either way it is a large improvement over the capabilities of IMON's email checking IMHO.

Editted to add; The day I d/l'd the EMON beta I think there was a readme link on the page I posted which doesnt' seem to be there now. Maybe one of the Eset mods can locate it and put it back up, it wasn't very thorough but it did mention some of the new capablilites of the new EMON beta, at least more so than the page says now.

3. flyrfan111

flyrfan111 Registered Member

I think it might check IMAP, here is a copy and paste from the download page for EMON beta;

Instructions for adding EMON (Beta1) to NOD32 for Microsoft Windows

You have received an installer which will integrate EMON (Beta1) with your NOD32 antivirus system, NOD32 for Microsoft Windows.
    The EMON module is an email monitor for the Microsoft Outlook mail client
    ensuring antivirus protection of incoming and outgoing email and the bodies
    of read email.

Since it says it is for Outlook and Outlook can use IMAP I would say yes it can scan IMAP, at least that would be logical anyway, Download it and see, or wait for one of the Eset mods to come along and chime in with the answer.

4. Howard

Howard Registered Member

As far as I know NOD doesn't check IMAP accounts, which is why I was particularly interested in your post when you said EMON checked all email accounts in Outlook XP. I was hoping you'd discovered EMON was configured to handle IMAP. It is not a big deal, but it would be quite nice to have that extra layer of protection. If EMON doesn't have the ability to handle IMAP then there is no point, for me, in installing it as I very rarely use Oulook XP to receive non-IMAP mail.

5. windstrings

windstrings Registered Member

Go into the NOd32 module, under "resident modules and filters".... hit "run nod32"........then go to setup..... at the bottom left you will see "use MAPI interface.

Can someone tell me "why" or "what" is the advantage in using an email client that uses mapi?
    I uses outlook express and it serves me well... I have no other users I want to share my outlook with.... but I do have outlook from Office 2003... so I do use it to interface with my pda... so If I needed it.. I could switch?

Is there a big advantage?... I always thought "outlook" was always a targer for viruses as people love to foul up or take down microsoft if they can?

any comments?

6. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Unfortunately no, Nod32 even with EMON does not scan while using the IMAP protocol. It has been discussed quite a number of times in the past, it will be added sometime in the future, as to when, there hasn't been a indication...

Hope this helps...

Cheers :D

7. Blackspear

Do you still have a copy or a copy in your “Sent Items” folder that you can resend the virus?

If so, can you make sure it is “Zipped” and send it to samples@nod32.com

Don’t you just looove AMON :D

Zipping the file will allow the receiver to accept receipt of the infected file or virus.

Did you have a “Quarantine” option preset, or available. Was the file “Quarantined”?

This is such an instance where having Quarantine (Nods version of it) set by default (which it currently does not do), would have allowed for sending a copy of the file to Eset.

This is not an advisable way of doing things, I think you were lucky in that you did not become further infected, I have never turned off AMON, it is there to do a job, and do it well :D There are other far safer methods of grabbing a copy, as in Quarantine, discussed above… ;) :D

LOL, I do as well, I’ll look at using “Thunderbird” a bit later on, but for now Outlook Express brings in my Hotmail, and that’s all I need it for… :D

As far as I am aware this has been turned “Off” by default since version 2.009 or 2.12.2

Hope this helps…

Last edited: Oct 30, 2004
  8. Blackspear

In this case they were talking about “I” MAP (IMAP) email protocol, a sharing server based email client, which allows for your emails to be viewed on any computer on your network. I had it set up with one account that was viewed on every single PC on the network, so no matter what PC I sat at it was as though I was at my own, a very handy feature… :D

MS Outlook has the advantage of a Calendar, Task setting etc…

In fact it is Outlook EXPRESS that is the most common target, being that it is the most common email client used worldwide…

Hope this helps…

9. windstrings

Well maybe in the future, but When I bought it.. it was version 2.12.3 "current" and I had to turn it off... as I did get the error.

10. Blackspear

Do you have MS Office installed? As by default this would have "use MAPI interface" ticked, even though you use Outlook EXPRESS.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2004
  11. windstrings

ah... the during the install it must have "saw" outlook and ticked it so...... thats nice.... would be better if it asked which email client I used however and ticked it accordingly....

thanks Blackspear, your really make the difference on this forum... I appreciate all the time and dedication you give to make this a good forum.
    I"ve looked around and seen you respond to so many people....even on different threads... you must like what you do!.... good job!
    (just in case you haven't heard that lately!)

12. Blackspear

Ahhh yes, however, prior to this you had to make a registry change, so at least now it is as simple as placing a tick or removing one ;) :D

Thank you for your kind words.

Yes, I like to poke my head in the various rooms of Wilders, get to learn a lot that way ;) :D

I do indeed :D And appreciate it.

All the best…

13. windstrings

Well if you look around at my posts... I can be pretty hard on people sometimes if they come off too arrogant... maybe because I can be that way myself?....
    but I sense a good attitude and just wanted to give you some flowers.

Hey maybe we should start a new post?... you may get a whole ton of flowers?

Yea that would be rather embarrassing... maybe not!.. anyway I apprciate all your efforts to clear other folks confusion....

cheers! :D

14. Blackspear

Much appreciated, Wilders is a great place to learn and make new friends :D

15. Blackspear

Hi Howard, because your post really was a question in its own right I have placed it in a thread of its own here

16. Howard

Howard Registered Member

17. lailoken

lailoken Registered Member

It should detect some other anti-virus programs as a virus... THEN it would be working optimally...
    ;)

18. Blackspear

LMAO :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.