Why me?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Detox, Aug 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Primrose

Primrose Registered Member

2. Mr.Blaze

Mr.Blaze The Newbie Welcome Wagon

:D yup good stuff how far back can you go with system restore i usealy pick the farthest back i can go to make sure it all good

3. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

just finishing making the 4 disk set from bootdisk.com - gonna be giving it a go.. ill try not to hold my breath tho cause i might be on the floor when its time to change disks :rolleyes:

4. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

oh good lord... i made the 4 disks.. booted with the first disk, and when prompted i put in disk#2 (yup all labeled correctly etc) and after 10 seconds or so the screen went black. Now trying to start with boot disk #1 in the drive does nothing.. the computer hums but the disk drive isnt reading the the monitor just sits there asking me if the cable is plugged in.

-edited to put the 2nd p back in "prompted" :rolleyes:

5. Primrose

What OS did you have on that PC...was it Window 2000 Proo_O i did not think so..hmmm.

Try here.... for a download
    Boot Disk - Windows 2000 boot disk 200K (7-July-2002)
    If you are unable to boot up your Windows 2000 PC, it may be because the boot sector has become corrupted (yet the operating system and data may still be OK). If that is the problem, then this boot disk will enable your PC to ignore the hard disk boot sector, and instead use the boot sector on this boot floppy in order to still boot successfully into Windows 2000.

http://www.answersthatwork.com/Downright_pages/downrights_bootdisks.htm

6. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Yup, win2k pro on that one... I tried the download from that link you justposted earlier - looked better to have one disk; but it requires Floppy Disk Manager to read the file and I haven't got that b/c I'm on my old puter with win98se :-(

7. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Well, tried the 4 disks again but its stuck right now on first disk.. bottom of screen says

"Setup is loading files (Windows 2000 Executive)...

anywya don't see why I got to 2nd disk the first time... Nor do I know if win2k executive is the same as professional or not? I have my original packaging and disk and they both say professional on them.

8. Primrose

Yes..so you need then a win 98 boot disk and you can get them from both those places... or try that single disk for win2000

9. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

the broken computer is the Win2k machine - so i havent got the floppy disk manager to get the single 2k boot disk :-(

I'll try the 4 disks some more and then call the shop if it still doesn't work.

Thanks for all help/advice/links folks!

10. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Hmph; in the hopes that the 2nd boot disk simply had a writing error on it, I've re-formatted it and written it again a few times.. However, every single time the first boot disk works and after a little reading on the 2nd one the computer freezes and the screen goes black. Really strange.

A friend told me I might try using the hard drive form this puter to boot the other one - but this is win98 and that's win2k...

I'm afraid I'll bite the bullet again. I don't have problems very often but when I DO have a problem, I really have a problem.

11. TAG97

TAG97 Registered Member

12. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Hm I must confess that I did not scn the download :doubt:

I rather assumed it was safe since I got it by password and username through the computer lab at the university... I guess it's never good to assume but they really do keep themselves clean; attachment stripping and all that.

I guess I just have to hope I find out after labor day.. But I will certainly update.

13. JimIT

JimIT Registered Member

Hope it all worked out, Tox... ;)

14. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Well, it's about noon right now; dropped my sweety at the shop almost an hour ago - it's on the othr side of the capitol of Texas from me :rolleyes:

Anyway they said it wasn't exactly uncommon lately for McAffee 7 to corrupt Windows system files - from what they've been seeing anyway o_O

So... While I was there I opted to have 'em toss in another hard drive (40 gig) and install my operating system there and I'll use my striped 120's for everything else - hopefully simplifying any trouble like this in the future with a format of the 40 gig "OS only" hard drive.

15. JimIT

JimIT Registered Member

Well, howdy then, from another Texan...
    Hmm. I had been debating picking up 7.0 as a toy. Maybe I'll rethink it.

Sounds like you're machine will be better than ever.

Glad to hear it. ;)

16. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

I figured a single $100 hard drive might save me one trip to the shop - then it pays for itself double probably!

I know we don't software bash here but the folks at the custom puter shop verbally abused McAffee at the shop for a few minutes or so... I won't ever touch one of their products again; not even with the neighbor's computer lol

17. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Well, I got it back today - humming along like a dream again but MAN I got some reinstalling/moving around and setting up to do!

18. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

Hi Detox,

Glad to hear your back on full song and a happy man again. :D :D

Regards Cochise. :cool:

19. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Sometimes I lose my cool a little bit because I really have found I hafta reinstall just about everything; Proxomitron has been the exception so far - all it needed was a nice new shortcut on desktop :D

Then I remind myself how much easier any future probglem should be, and then I updated my sig in here... I feel the abundance of HD space!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.