Why is there fewer and fewer dedicated malware scanners?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by mattdocs12345, Jul 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

Okay so back in the days we had several pretty good real time malware scanners:
    - malwarebytes
    - super antispyware
    - lavasoft adware
    - spybot search and destroy

Today there is only malwarebytes. The other 3 became irrevelant with exception of Adaware that became an AV.

Im asking because I'd like to have a 2nd real time guard next to my main AV. I do like malwarebytes but I think there should be some more options out there.

2. CrusherW9

CrusherW9 Registered Member

Anti-virus's nowadays are more than just AV's. They have Anti-malware definitions as well. No need for a dedicated AM when the AV you're running has AM definitions already, so the AM companies lost support.

3. guest

guest Guest

IMO secondary scanner running in real-time is not needed. The benefit is just ain't worth the extra used resource. Better use them as on-demand. If I was running a real-time AV I'll pair it with something that has different approach, like a classical HIPS or an anti-exe or Sandboxie.

4. J_L

J_L Registered Member

5. blasev

blasev Registered Member

Emsisoft Emergency Kit

and many others on J_L list
    its not dead, it just not that popular anymore

edit : not popular for "normal" people, but extremely popular here at wilders :D

6. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

The key is real time scanners.

7. fblais

fblais Registered Member

Cezurity and EEK are indeed not real-time.

MBAM is great and they added PUP detection a few days ago, by the way.
    Forticlient is good enough to be run alone in real-time methinks. (and do on-demand scans with MBAM)
    OTOH, I'd run MBAM real-time if I was running MSE.

8. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

Simple reason.

AV nowadays are not just about "viruses". Their scope of duty includes malware (which inc. viruses, spyware, etc etc) and by technical terms, should have been referred to as "anti-malware". It's just that the marketing side decides that the benefits of familiarity outweighs the technical precision for the masses.

http://anti-virus-rants.blogspot.sg/2008/02/what-is-anti-malware-anti-virus.html

Some anti-malware programs like MBAM market themselves as 'complementary' programs and they are right in doing so because their range of coverage omits certain things that other AVs (which are technically AM) detects.

http://helpdesk.malwarebytes.org/en...ytes-Anti-Malware-replace-antivirus-software-

Then, there are AVs (technically AM) that claim to be designed to work along with other AVs (again technically AM). This even adds more to the confusion.

In short, there are actually more real-time malware scanners - just that they are not termed/marketed as such. Don't get lost by the terms used.

9. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Then there's only Windows Defender, Immunet, and Rising PC doctor left as somewhat reputable names. There are some little known ones of unproven quality as well.

10. guest

guest Guest

You can try Crystal Security, which uploads to Virus Total, all the suspicious executables running in your system and if the result is 100% safe adds the file to a whitelist. Also it has an on-demand scanner.

It's a real time scanner (with a little delay) with more or less 50 engines :D

I really don't understand why Crystal Security is not very popular, at least here in wilders.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=317258

http://www.crystalsecurity.eu/index.php

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2013
  11. siketa

siketa Registered Member

Few DAYS ago? :eek:
    Am I missing something here?

12. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

As of July 28 Malwarebytes adopts a more aggressive PUP policy.

13. alan1476

alan1476 Registered Member

Hitman Pro uses all the detections from the best A/V programs in the world, I have been using it and its the best malware detector and remover there is. Bar none.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.