Why is PackageKit such a wreck?

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Gullible Jones, Apr 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gullible Jones

Gullible Jones Registered Member

On almost every Linux distro I've tried that uses PackageKit, since ~2011, I have seen the following behavior:

- packagekitd starts updating the repo database in the background
    - one or more of its child processes maxes out the CPU
    - the child processes continue to peg the CPU for about 5 minutes before appearing to finish up
    - all is quiet for a few seconds, and then packagekitd starts the process all over again

So far I have found one workaround, which is to completely disable automatic repo DB updates (using the gpk-prefs program). This way you have to run the updates manually, either using the PackageKit GUI or yum/zypper/whatever backend... But your computer will stay usable.

So far I've found a lot of posts and bug reports about this, and as far as I can tell it was never fixed at any time in any distribution. Which leads me to ask:
    a) How did PackageKit get to be such a wreck
    b) How did it stay a wreck for ~3 years and counting
    c) If it's demonstrably, verifiably a wreck, why on Earth do so many distros use it, when alternatives have existed since the 90s?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.