Why is Kaspersky consistently in the top 3 of AVs ?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Fly, Aug 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fly

Fly Registered Member

Not A vs. B.

In the tests of av-comparatives Kaspersky is always one of the best. Often, number one. The results of av-test.org are probably not different.

I know they are dedicated to creating a superior product and they have great resources.

But there are other AV companies who also have access to great resources and make an effort to create a technically strong product.

So, what's the difference ?

Every AV vendor would benefit from having a first class product.

2. luckyboy

luckyboy Registered Member

The diffference is who will pay more,that is the answer!Every healthy mind person should not care of all of these tests;)

3. moxxey

moxxey Registered Member

Those two go together, in your case.

It's amazing - actually, not amazing - how paranoid people are about bribes and corruption, for tests to be falsified. Where's the incentive? If it was true, this info would leak officially, very quickly, as one of the AV companies would inform us. Emsisoft or Comodo are two good examples of small AV developers who would be quick to tell the world that the big boys are paying to rank highly in independent tests.

4. Blueshoes

Blueshoes Registered Member

Just like most AV companies write their own malware to make you buy their programs. Like 100 organized crime coders and smart hobbyist black hat coders are not enough! , that includes automated machine based polymorphic malware spitting out at a grand rate. That still is not enough?

Kaspersky top 3 showing on credible testing firms test for years is because of "effort" !!!

5. 3x0gR13N

3x0gR13N Registered Member

While programmers for other AVs are living organisms that convert caffeine into code, Kaspersky's programmers are living organisms that convert vodka into code, which yields better results than most, obviously.

6. itman

itman Registered Member

Research, research, and more research. Note that Kapersky Labs is consistently first in "the wild" detection which gives it a lead in finding mitigations.

7. hawki

hawki Registered Member

Kaspersky has been a leader and pioneer in the AV/Security industry for more than a decade. Years before others caught on, and before Kaspersky was well known, (I believe there was only one US seller on the internet at the time) Kaspersky developed high detection rate products that were both light and fast.

Kaspersky is a committed company --

Look at the background of the founder and current CEO of the company:

Eugene Kaspersky graduated from the Institute of Cryptography, Telecommunications and Computer Science, an institute co-sponsored by the Russian Ministry of Defence and the KGB in 1987. Kaspersky then worked at a multi-discipline scientific research institute until 1991. While there, the Cascade virus was detected on his computer, which increased Kaspersky's interest in information security and led to his studying the field of computer virology from 1989. Kaspersky joined the KAMI Information Technologies Center in 1991, where he and his associates developed the AVP anti-virus product. In 1997, he co-founded Kaspersky Lab, which was later run for a decade by his ex-wife Natalya Kaspersky. In November 2000, AVP was renamed 'Kaspersky Anti-Virus' after a dispute with a US partner. In 2007, Eugene was named the CEO of Kaspersky Lab

On 12 June 2009, he received the Russian Federation National Award in Science and Technology from former President of Russia Dmitry Medvedev for major advances in modern information security systems.

I believe the man's first priority is a committment to making the best product possible rather than making the most money, although the two go hand in hand. Its a matter of commitment,challenge, and pride

Last edited: Aug 26, 2013
  8. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Agreed. It is a top notch product where detection is concerned. Now they need to work on their customer support and service skills.

9. hawki

hawki Registered Member

I deleted that sentence ( "Those suggesting Kaspersky pays off AV testing organizations are ignorant.") after you wrote your post while editing. I did not see your post till after I deleted the sentence. I removed it only so as not to offend anyone and cause OT rage replies.

10. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

If we look back at most major malware outbreaks these have been discovered by kaspersky lab as they have an excellent research capability.

eugene kaspersky is a genuine man with a genuine goal of securing our computer systems and i do not believe for one moment he would pay anyone for good test results as he doesnt need to,the product speaks for itself and it is an excellent program.

11. henryg

henryg Registered Member

Is their Firewall as good as their A/V?

12. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Whoops. Once something goes on the internet... If the mods want to adjust your comment I do not care but I prefer my point stays. ;)

13. Rompin Raider

Rompin Raider Registered Member

I need to ask my AV private investigator...trjam! It might be a grassy knoll!:D

14. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Now trjam is THE man.

Through the years I have used several different AVs (not as many as Jeff). I have used Kaspersky at various times, and tests by AV-C and others have consistently shown it to be one of the top tier AVs.

I have also found it buggy at times, and support not very good. In fact I am changing to Bit Defender because of the very long scan times that have begun to show up with KIS. I am not very sharp re AVs and such, and do not want to take the time and effort to trouble shoot much.
    But KIS has otherwise run very well, and except for the long scans I have no complaints.

So as to why Kaspersky is consistently at the top it is because it is tops, and deserves the ranking.In time I will probably go back to KIS, but presently it is a little buggy for a user in the "slow group" like me.

Regards,
    Jerry

15. oliverjia

oliverjia Registered Member

well said.

16. Frank the Perv

Frank the Perv Banned

You are exactly right.

For over a decade, Kaspersky has always performed well as proven by multiple testing organizations.

Many AVs have their 15 minutes of fame, but only one has been at the top for over a decade.

AVs like Avira, Panda, Dr Web, F-Protect, Webroot, Symantec… are good for awhile. But then they seem to fade... becoming second tier products.

Bitdefender and Emsisoft are hot right now? Can either sustain it?

Last time I used Kaspersky, it did seem a little high-maintenance... But it was effective.

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2012/07/ff_kaspersky/all/

But the Kaspersky-Russia relationship does temper my enthusiasm somewhat for the product.

That is all.

17. Noob

Noob Registered Member

That was a good one! :D

18. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Not to go off-topic, but I would not count Comodo as a small developer having 500-1000 employees (even if not all of them work in the AV/CIS development division of course). That's still many more than Emsisoft's around 50 employees wich can be seen as a small developer compared to the big corporations.

http://www.linkedin.com/company/comodo
    http://www.linkedin.com/company/emsisoft-gmbh

19. FleischmannTV

FleischmannTV Registered Member

To the OP, those are only real world protection tests. You should see how Kaspersky performs in terms of active malware treatment. Those results are even more enlightening, if not disenchanting (regarding the competition).

20. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

It's the consistency that matters and Kaspersky apparently has it. Theys know how to make a good AV, too bad they aren't as good at certain things that they still haven't got the hang of even by now.

21. moxxey

moxxey Registered Member

No, I'm talking about 'small' in terms of their segment of the consumer paid security market.

This consumer paid AV market is dominated by Symantec, McAfee, Kaspersky and, to a lesser degree, Trend Micro. When someone implies you are at the top through corruption and bribes, I'm implying those with a smaller market share would be very quick to tell the market, if this was happening.

And, let's be fair, Comodo's boss has a history of telling us how it is :)

22. lodore

lodore Registered Member

I respect kaspersky for speed of response when sending in samples and fp's but the actual software is quite buggy and slow. I feel that kaspersky should rewrite the product from scratch and I am sure then it would use alot less resources and be more stable.

23. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

Hi Iodore

Have you tried the release version of KIS/KAV 2014...it might be a revelation, as I think that it is their best version for a long time, in terms of speed & quality. However, the die hard tweaker/advance users who like to adjust settings so they are 'just so' will be unhappy at the new approach (has been called 'dumbing down').

Regards, Balders

24. Solarlynx

Solarlynx Registered Member

The company I work for has about 1000 PC. Some PC are rather old: 5 - 10 years. All of them have Kaspersky workstation for years. I didn't heard that anybody has suffered from a malware or any PC problems because of the AV.

25. SergM

SergM Registered Member

you want to say that in your case "guilty" only Kaspersky AV?
    I'm sorry for flooding. ;) ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.