Why is American internet so slow?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by lotuseclat79, Mar 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

2. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

I didn't know it was that bad in the USA?

Personally I've switched from copper wire to cable, I went from 10 Mbps to 120 Mbps. :)

The telecom (non cable) companies can only compete with cable if they lay fiber optic, but it's an expensive and slow process.

3. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Because speed costs money.
    Mrk

4. daman1

daman1 Registered Member

I would kill for 10 :(

5. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Dont complain there are lots of people with slower speeds . . . like me. :D
    I recently upgraded to 6Mbps but there are higher speeds available here where i live. (Up to 20Mbps)

6. kyuzo

kyuzo Registered Member

I'm grateful for what I have... I came here from a modem and once spent an ENTIRE day downloading the installer, program and updates for Microsoft Security Essentials! :D

7. daman1

daman1 Registered Member

I hear ya thats what i have, DSL 6Mbs

8. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

I just did a speed test and I'm only getting 1 Mbps currently :mad:

Actually I get really fast internet speeds from my mobile 4G internet. But I don't use it much due to only have 8GB of downloads a month before I get charge excess usage fees.

9. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

Don't get me started on the American internet.

10. daman1

daman1 Registered Member

wow :eek:

11. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

I get 20Mbps at home.

12. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

I recall, when I got my first internet with 56,6 kbps dialup modem, 12MB took an hour to download. Now I feel limited by FUP of 5GB per an hour with mine 40/40 MBps.
    I really can not imagine, what it has to be like, especially since services like netflix with HD movies or steam with games requiring to download 20-40GB are based in US.

13. Austerity

Austerity Registered Member

I get about 33 down, 6 up, that's on Comcast basic. I know it's no european or asian connection, but I don't complain.

14. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Because speed kills.

I remember having dialup with Stowel for $4.99. The Stowel site said if you don't how to set this up DON'T buy it. There was no customer support just a How To PDF. Opera was just coming out & it felt like my browsing speeds went up 10x vs IE. Opera had a paid version & a free version with a 2-3" header saying FREE version or something.

15. DoctorPC

DoctorPC Banned

I haven't had slower than 50mbps speed in half a decade. Currently I am on a 55Mbps fiber line at home that can exceed 60mbps. Uploads vary from 2.5-5.5mbps.

Basically it comes down to money. People don't want to pay more for higher speeds. Yet they spend $9.00 on a coffee. ~Comment removed~

Attached Files:

16. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Hahahaha i upgraded from 2Mbps to 6Mbps just a couple months ago.
    There maximum speed i can get is 20Mbps but that costs around $80 a month. :eek:

17. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

I just did a speed test on my 4G internet and am getting 29 Mbps download and 27 Mbps upload.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
  18. Noob

Noob Registered Member

My HDSPA+ gets anything from 512Kbps to 3Mbps depending on location. I only get 1GB of data before it gets throttled to 512Kbps permanently until next cycle.
    At least it's unlimited, i had problems with my home internet last year and i used over 20GB with Wi-Fi tethering in less than 2 weeks and for some reason they never throttled me down. Keep in mind i never downloaded anything and tried not to abuse. (I get between 2Mbps to 3Mbps at my home) :D

Last edited: Mar 7, 2014
  19. DoctorPC

DoctorPC Banned

4GLTE is exceptionally fast, bi-directionally. My wife and I both have 4GLTE now, and it exceeds our expectations. Generally 'average' LTE speeds for us are 20-30Mbps. 3G is unreliable and slow, I was averaging 1-2Mbps on 3g.. Almost intolerable. LTE is (Long Term Evolution), and is specced out for a 300mpbs speed maximum, so is the protocol for now, and tomorrow. I've read some folks getting over 50mpbs+ on LTE currently in some newer markets.

3G is almost entirely obsolete in a rapidly spreading LTE spread.

20. FreddyFreeloader

FreddyFreeloader Registered Member

3 MB DSL but as long as it streams Netflix, MLB.com, Obi100 VoIP, what-me-worry?

21. subhrobhandari

subhrobhandari Registered Member

I am on a 2 MBit/sec line and thats the standard DSL for India's biggest ISP- BSNL. I guess thats why I get enough time for daydreaming between page loads and video buffering...:rolleyes: You guys have it easy on US.

22. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

The USA is a very large country with both urban and rural areas. I do not live in the USA so I would assume that the rural areas get limited services (or none) and the large urban areas get a selection of services, re: speeds. The ISP that serves an area will not invest in newer technology or upgrade their infrastructure if the competition is complacent or if their margins are limited. Telcos like big profits when it comes to bandwidth pricing.

I think Australia upgraded their fibre infrastructure as a public initiative ... not something the USA would do.

23. MisterB

MisterB Registered Member

I live in a rural area and internet access is available but expensive. I pay $50 a month for 1.5mbs. I could get faster access but I'm already paying a premium and, for the basic business services I need, 1.5mbs is more than enough. I also choose an ISP that is very reliable. There are only two local ISPs and the other one is cheaper but has frequent outages that can last days. I could also get access from Verizon through their cellular network but I positively loath that corporation, they are more expensive and I would be limited in how much I could download even if it was faster. Not to mention I wouldn't trust them on privacy grounds.

I spent a week last year in the Bay Area right on the fringes of silicon valley and stayed with several family members and friends and everyone I stayed with had a 3mbs connection. It wasn't much better speed wise at all but the cost was less than half of what I would pay here for 3mbs.

24. daman1

daman1 Registered Member

From what I'm seeing people want faster but the prices these company's charge for these speeds are just ridiculous and we get by with what works.

My self i don't stream movies or TV shows so my speed works for me, better then dial up i had years ago when we first got the Internet.

25. ance

ance formerly: fmon

I pay about 20 € for 8 MBit/s. I could upgrade to 16 MBit/s but I don't really need more speed. ;) :thumb:

I didn't like my 56,6 dialup modem, it was so slow. :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.