Why has the fun gone out of computing?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by SpikeyB, May 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SpikeyB

SpikeyB Registered Member

When I first used a computer it was running dos. Then we got windows 3.1 and it seemed amazing but I always quite liked the simplicity of dos. That didn't matter though, 3.1 was new and we went for it big time. Then I got a laptop that offered windows 3.1 or windows 95. No hesitation at all, I installed 95 and spent days roaming around finding out how to do all these new things and learning about right clicks and context sensitive menus. The story goes on, it was always fun and exciting to upgrade to the latest o/s and play around to find the new features and ways it worked. It wasn't just me, all my friends were waiting with anticipation for the next new o/s to come along.

These days everyone just seems to complain about a new o/s. Gnome 3 is dumbing down, I've lost a quick way to my settings, Windows 8 is rubbish, I've lost my start menu, why do I have to learn a new way to do things, what a stupid idea to have one o/s for tablet and desktop.

What has happened over the years? Why has all the fun, excitement and experimentation been replaced with complaints and negativity?

Were the new o/s's of bygone days really great improvements and today the new ones aren't? Or have computers moved from being toys to tools so we have moved from wanting change and novelty to shunning it?

Just wondered what your thoughts were.

Last edited: May 18, 2013
  2. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

I think there are many reasons. One is that Microsoft has a kind of monopoly on the market, so it is not interested, neither needed, to invest to improve and to innovate Windows: there is not a real competitor for his profits. Also, I think that you be right: computers moved from being [also] toys to tools. And it seems also a problem of creativeness, fantasy, vision: developers doesn't wonder what new and " revolutionary " an Os could be.

3. Wild Hunter

Wild Hunter Former Poster

Your comment would make some sense years ago. But right now, it is completely outdated and out of touch with reality.

Some links that may enlighten you of relatively recent events:

Windows 8 Beats The Mac, Appsolutely

Dear Microsoft, Don't Bail on Windows 8

4. Wild Hunter

As for tech enthusiasm, I agree with the OP.

Some people are getting pessimist and even depressive in their feelings related to technological advancements.

5. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

OP you're just getting old(er), like me. :argh:

6. Wild Hunter

More stubbornness and laziness aren't necessarily related to aging.

7. allizomeniz

allizomeniz Registered Member

When I first started learning programming and DOS back in the late 80s I hated it. Then when Windows came along with it's GUI, everything seemed exciting and fun, but there were still problems, slow internet, MS trying to force its software down everyone's throats, lack of information about the new technology, etc., etc. But nowadays I consider computing more fun than ever. A wide array of choices, better technology and software, information everywhere. I think it's just human nature to complain even when things are good. :D

8. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Back in the 80,s my first computer was a commodore16/plus 4 computer and i really loved it.

Then in the mid 80,s jay miner and others produced a miracle home computer by the name of the commodore amiga 500.This was when FUN finally came to the home user.
    For years we had 8-bit computers and then suddenly the 16-bit machine came along and the graphics and sound with the amiga were a total revelation.
    For that period the home user was experiencing graphics and sound which could only be found on coin-op machines.

I loved this computer and using workbench 1.3 which had startling similarities to windows.
    Most of my teenage life was spent with the amiga and indeed computing was very much fun and i thank the A500 for this.

Never experienced the same though when using windows.

9. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

:D . Windows 8 is all than a success. Users abominate his smartphone GUI, and companies have not reason to buy it and they too don't buy it. Pc are and do the same thing they were a time.

10. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

Sooner or later, "fun" goes out of everything.

11. guest

guest Guest

But it can be recovered. :isay:

I'll analogize this with video games. Back in the days when I was younger I was quite a hardcore gamer. It was probably almost everyday I play various video games. Nowadays, I simply have lost interest to play mainstream games. Not saying mainstream games are bad, but they feel flat to me. Somehow everyone jumps into the bandwagon of the same genre. I still a hardcore gamer though, only to a smaller scope of games, like bullet hell games from a certain franchise for example. I just don't seem to care about game reviews and ratings anymore, don't care about what new games which everyone's praising about. It feels like I live in my own world.

Well, this is probably more into exclusivity instead. But I think it's the same case with what the OP said. :p

12. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

I think that our reliance on it has helped take the "fun" out of having it. Man, as a whole, also does not appreciate things for long. When most look up at the night sky, for a fleeting moment they may go "Wow". Just as quickly as that wonder came, it is gone, and heads look back down, eyes go forward and the moment is lost in the noise and distractions of mortal life. How quickly it's forgotten that the Internet (as most know it) we humans depend upon to run our world, entertain us and connect us to people across the globe, is a mere 18 years old. Eighteen years ago our time was not spent on Facebook, our lives, our employment, our reputations..none of these could be ruined by a simple post on it. A "tweet" in a moment of frustration could not bring world-wide media attention, criticism and damnation.

We could not get into flame wars with each other on a silly little forum over which browser was faster, over which AV was topping the charts and why. We could not criticize test facilities and each other over perceived flaws and how we think tests should be conducted. We did not have to shore up our defenses in fear of "zero-days", and then argue amongst each other who had the better setup.

We could not load up Spotify or Netflix and listen to millions of songs or watch hundreds of movies, and then complain when there isn't enough or something is missing (guilty as charged).

Lives were not lost texting while driving, tablets were a fantasy, not a subject for monthly benchmark tests. Apple could not tell us that we needed a new iPhone because the one we bought last year is suddenly unworthy. Microsoft could not make unwanted and controversial changes to Windows. Google could do nothing with our data.

Perhaps sometimes we need to spare a moment longer to look up at that night sky. Perhaps we need to remind ourselves how things were those short 18 years ago. For better and worse, technology has changed. So have we.

13. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Maybe it's an age and experience thing to some extent. I remember having the most fun in the Windows 2000 days with firewalls and av's and apps here and there, it seemed unlimited for a while. But I think after you've kinda "been there, done that" with just about all of it, then you eventually get bored and things don't seem as fun anymore. I think there has always been change, so that's nothing new. Remember when XP came out, how stupid it looked? Now we think Win 8 and Gnome 3 and Unity look stupid. Same thing, different day, although I do believe that MS and Win 8 takes things to new heights of insanity in recent times.

But bottom line, once you've done this stuff for 20 years or more, it just gets old, and I doubt there really IS anything new to be honest. Just different packaging in the name of "progress". Lol....

14. Wild Hunter

15. wat0114

wat0114 Registered Member

Back in 95-2000 the technology was still relatively new and emerging for the consumer market, so there was lots to look forward to and discover. It was an "exciting" era. Windows and the gui was a huge advancement over DOS. Since then it mostly seems to be enhancements and some new additions, and maybe the "Wow!" effect had already worn off of most people. At least it did for me shortly after the XP days.

16. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

Sad humor? I think I was making a pretty accurate observation honestly. I'm not sure if you're mocking me or not, so I'll refrain from saying anything too drastic here. However, yes, again you've made your point about the past having problems. That's one of those "No s***, Sherlock" kind of comments. I'm quite well aware of the problems faced in the 90s, the 80s, and the 70s, I was there, got my t-shirt. Were you? As a little playful ribbing to keep this from becoming something it shouldn't, I've likely seen more technology changes than you have diaper changes :D

17. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Not for me. :) And it will only get better in the years to come.

18. Wild Hunter

My point was simply to show that many of the tech problems of the 90s were fixed, and that they were significantly more serious than the ones we have now IMO.

But if you really want to think about problems, I recommend the Encyclopedia of World Problems and Human Potential. :D

19. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yeah, maybe I need to buy a new computer and spice things up a little. :)

20. Wild Hunter

That's the spirit, geek. :) lol

21. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Haha.. I had a rather large argument with a friend about Win 8 today. In the end, I started thinking that maybe one day I actually would buy an 8 PC. Who knows what the future holds... :)

22. wat0114

wat0114 Registered Member

Good idea! If only I could come up with the $$ for a new rig :(

23. Krysis

Krysis Registered Member

When its shiny and new – it's fun!
    When its dull and worn – it's ho hum! :isay:

Might also depend on what you do.....

Helping tiny tots with their first experiences on computers is fun (and heartwarming) :)
    Then again....
    If you're a network admin and find your network server down half hour before everyone's due to start work – computing definitely aint no fun!! :gack:

24. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Well, I guess it depends on what hardware you want.. I have actually seen some pretty reasonable laptops and desktops in retail stores. It seems that if you want the latest technology, it will cost you more, but if you can settle for less, then the prices are pretty low.

25. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

Of course they were fixed. My entire original post was meant to remind those who take what we have today for granted, that we've only had it a very short time. I do think we face more significant issues because of the Internet, but, again, the whole "Sherlock" thing could be applied to that. It's inevitable that technology will solve some problems and create new ones.

Thanks for the link, but life itself teaches you all you need to know about world problems and human potential (which, actually, I think we're lowering due to said world problems). That's quite another discussion though, lol. P.S, technology still hasn't erased the risk of Daddy answering the phone :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.