Why firefox or opera or anything but IE

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by steverope, Jan 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steverope

steverope Registered Member

I am wondering why people are so jaded about IE, I've tried just about every major browser out there, and IE seems to be the best at everything, if you use common sense and good security programs and net common sense, why use another browser, Pls no anti-microsoft sentiment, I want facts, no heartfelt anti-corp propaganda, I found with Opera my pages load weird and slow, with firefox, I can't access alot of sites& content, but with IE everything works fast and complete, I'm not here promoting IE, just saying what it does for my web surfing experience........I am open to new things, but have had nothing but problems with other browsers, can someone give me a quick review of the pros and cons of some alternative browsers other than IE, I know, I know about the standard" IE has been hacked more due to it's proliferation in the net world" but with all the updates and anti anti-social creepy geek hacker protection availible, why use another? Pls just the facts, Thanks Fr Steve

Remember, I'm not promoting IE just wanting some info :)

Last edited: Jan 27, 2005
  2. Spray-on Dust

Spray-on Dust Registered Member

I've not encountered one website that doesn't load properly with Firefox. And even if it has, it was for the best because it was probably some banner ad that it blocked or something.

Also, tabbed browsing is cool and real handy. It's highly customizable and more secure. And that's good ehough for me.

3. jayzzz

jayzzz Registered Member

I'm jaded based on personal experiences...though I think "fed up" is a more accurate term. I figure the sites I can't access with Firefox are probably trying to give me more content than I want. Sometimes, the inability to see isn't a problem; it's avoiding trouble!

4. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I am not going to get into the security part of this, I will just say that I have mozilla 1.7.5/ firefox and opera and I just like the way they work. I have used IE for years and just got tired of it for several reasons which I won't go into to stop an in depth discussion on the reasons. lets just say that for usability I prefer the three I listed and am very happy in the way that they render images, web pages and the speed at which they do it.

bigc

5. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

6. jayzzz

jayzzz Registered Member

Thanks for those links to check out. I use Firefox on a cable connection, except when I'm at a site where I want to be able to enter other than plain text, and have WYSIWYG. Interestingly, I can do that in here with Firefox. :) Why here, but not in Yahoo- or M$N-land?

Aren't there threads available for easy reference already in this forum that detail why people hold their opinions about browsers? :cool:

7. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

you might look through here and find some post's on browsers

8. steverope

Thanks, Great info and threads!

9. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

I prefer Opera and Firefox mostly because of the tabbed browsing.
    Customising with themes is cool.

10. steverope

Ok, I've tweaked it and now I have a new resident browser, only I've never been able to have tabbed browsing, and thats a big feature.........any ideas why, and I've checked the proper boxes(I think)........this was a big Issue for me when I tried it last year, tabbed browsing didn't work, any Ideas? Thanks

11. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Right click on a link and see what options you get.

12. steverope

I see open in new tab, and It does, but how come it does't do it when I double click, or is this something I just didn't know? and is what the tabbed browsing is all about? Thanks, wow, it really does work, and here I was thinking" thi damn thing doesn't have tabbed browsing..........Fr Steve

13. steverope

what about opening a bookmark as a tab?

14. steverope

ok, same thing....I got it now.....thanks

(special canadate for school for the advanced) :D

15. steverope

why nothing but firefox

ok, so I am one of those converts, used to think everyone who spouted about firefox was suffering from novelty shock, but now I know why they are using it, did the tweaks for my 1.3 mbit connection, and what can I say......a miracle. Thanks everyone, Fr Steve

16. steverope

Any tips on making sure my IE is not causing any slowdown or other reminants left that I should know about?

17. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

18. solarpowered candle

I do things the simple way and grab a peice of scrap paper and write down what the setting is before I change it. Then if Im not happy with those changes I can go back and double click on the setting and imput the default settings back to what they were.
    The two pipline values ( false > true ) are auto changed back to their earlier default setting by just double clicking on them.

hope this helps Spanner .

Last edited: Jan 28, 2005
  19. Ronin

Ronin Guest

Indeed, looks like Spanner is trying to be too clever. In fact, you can easily reset everything back to default factory settings.

20. solarpowered candle

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.