Why doesn't NOD stamp gmail?

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by JVM, Mar 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JVM

JVM Registered Member

I tested NOD32 from both a Yahoo non-paid email account and a non-paid gmail account and while it stamps the mail from Yahoo, it does not stamp the mail from gmail. Anyone know why that should be happening?

My understanding is both Yahoo and gmail use virus scanning for their mail, but that shouldn't be a factor since mail from Yahoo gets stamped.

2. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

Are you accessing either account through an SSL-enabled POP3 connection?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

3. JVM

JVM Registered Member

I know gmail is not using POP or IMAP and I don't think non-paid Yahoo uses POP either, but the Yahoo mail does get stamped.

4. wiak

wiak Registered Member

gmail uses POP port 995 and ssl
    you can also use IMAP but both POP and IMAP needs to be enabled in gmail settings
    so you might want to enable port 995 in email protection
    but anyway, gmail checks for virus online

http://img.techpowerup.org/080305/Capture040.png

5. JVM

JVM Registered Member

I haven't enabled POP because I use Yahoo as my Home Page (Yahoo gives me gmail notifications) and I don't think POP would work with Yahoo. What I don't understand is why mail from Yahoo gets stamped but not from gmail. Should I try adding port 995 even though I'm not using POP for gmail?

6. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

As long as its SSL, NOD32 wont be able to scan Gmail.

7. JVM

JVM Registered Member

But why then does it stamp mail from Yahoo? The non-paid Yahoo account doesn't go through POP as I understand it. Yahoo offers a paid upgrade that uses POP.

8. WSFuser

What email client are you using to view your email?

9. JVM

JVM Registered Member

I use two email programs: Thunderbird and gmail. Yahoo has a preview tab that notifies me of new gmail. I like this idea because Yahoo Home page is what I use and it's easy to see new mail, rather than always clicking on Thunderbird to see if I have mail. Also, Thunderbird is used for my ISP provider's email, which goes through a paid spam program that issues a challenge to prevent Spam.

10. WSFuser

How do you download your Yahoo email to Thunderbird? Are you using the webmail extension or some program like yahoopops?

11. shadek

shadek Registered Member

I have the same problem. It's just utterly impossible to make NOD32 scan the e-mails from Gmail. It doesn't scan e-mails which go through SSL. Sorry.

12. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

You should remember that SSL communication is encrypted and as such the scanner does not see actual data you receive. However, the plugins for MS Outlook and Outlook Express/Windows Mail should make scanning possible as they scan already decrypted data.

13. tosbsas

tosbsas Registered Member

and when are you making those plugins available for other mail programms too? Thunderbird, Becky and others come to mind?

Ruben

14. JVM

JVM Registered Member

That is very interesting. So how does Google scan all their gmail for viruses?

15. JVM

JVM Registered Member

I don't do that. I have two different email addresses with one for gmail and one from my ISP provider which goes to Thunderbird.

I simply added a module to my Yahoo page that has a gmail preview window. The module is from the Yahoo Add Module part of personalizing your page.

16. Marcos

Sorry, now I don't understand your question - what does SSL have to do with local scanning on their servers?

17. JVM

JVM Registered Member

I don't know. o_O

18. WSFuser

They just scan it on their server.
    NOD32 doesnt scan webmail. It will scan any attachment when you download them though.

19. JVM

JVM Registered Member

If NOD32 doesn't scan web mail and only attachments, then how come regular mail without attachments get the NOD32 stamping? "This message was checked by NOD32 antivirus system."

20. WSFuser

What do you mean by regular mail? Your ISP email?

21. JVM

JVM Registered Member

You said "NOD32 doesnt scan webmail. It will scan any attachment when you download them though."

So I said: "If NOD32 doesn't scan web mail and only attachments, then how come regular mail without attachments get the NOD32 stamping? "This message was checked by NOD32 antivirus system."

In other words, I mean mail other than attachments.

22. Marcos

The message "This message was checked by NOD32 antivirus system" certainly doesn't come from ESS or EAV, but maybe from NOD32 v2 or ESET Mail Security for Linux.

23. dannyboy

dannyboy Registered Member

webmail is email you check through a web page (in Internet Explorer). No antivirus program would be able to scan this, except for attachments which you download from the webmail server.

If an email has been stamped by NOD32 then you must've downloaded it into a mail client such as Outlook/Outlook Express/Thunderbird/etc.

24. JVM

JVM Registered Member

Yes, but while the email from Yahoo gets stamped, the email from gmail does not, and this is viewed in Thunderbird.

25. WSFuser

Check the port for Yahoo. If its 110, its not SSL and NOD32 can scan it.

Gmail uses port 995 (SSL) and NOD32 cannot scan it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.