Why does this program use up 85-100% of my cpu?

Discussion in 'ewido anti-spyware forum' started by j4s0n, Jul 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. j4s0n

j4s0n Registered Member

just during a scan.

It also happens when it is running in the background.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2006
  2. Carver

Carver Registered Member

Your right, I actually got down to 18%. It bounces around a lot. But most of the time it is on 100%. :gack:

Attached Files:

3. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

i think this could be normal because scanning files is a CPU intensive task. it should be improved upon however.

4. Old Monk

Old Monk Registered Member

Hi

Like j4s0n, CPU from ewido.exe is jumping all over the place from 6-60 % constantly and I have no scan running. Seems completeley random. Usage History graph looks like a herring-bone o_O

Anyone got any explanation?

5. Old Monk

Just to clarify, this happens when the programme is showing main window but not scanning.

Back to normal when just sitting in the system tray

Thanks

6. vinzenz.ewido

vinzenz.ewido former ewido team

This spikes is because of the analysis modules. They will be stopped when ewido is minimized to tray.
    There are some intensive tasks executed.

But, do you feal a performance issue? And do your run ewido allday run opened?

@j4s0n

Scanning is a really intensive task. The scan engine simulates internally a computer while scanning to figure out what the file currently is scanned is doing (if it was not detected by signature)

Also there is a generic unpacking algorithm which executes files virtually (not really) to get the real file. This also an intensive task.

These are just examples there is much more but I hope you can understand that there is many todo while scanning.

BR

7. Old Monk

Thanks for the explanation Vinzenz - just not noticed similar behaviour before with other programmes.

And no, I don't or won't :D run it open all day, hence the clarification in the second post - hadn't noticed it was open.

So far, no noticeable impact on performance that I can judge, so great.

I'm a bit (lot) of a novice so thanks for responding so quickly and explaining things.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.