Why does McAfee have almost daily updates to the firewall?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Frank the Perv, Feb 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frank the Perv

Frank the Perv Banned

Sometimes it seems like McAfee updates the firewall more than the AV.

They never used to update the firewall, only the AV and occasionally the privacy thing that they sell.

Why the firewall?

What's up with dat?

2. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Perhaps web content updates.

3. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Possibly application rules updates or bad ip address updates.

4. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: Are you referring to the newest version ? such as Virus Scan Plus, PC Protection plus or Total Protection? Are you sure that these updates are for firewall and not for AV/AS ? Just curious.:)

5. jrx10

jrx10 Registered Member

these mcafee applications try constantly to access the internet, pretty much all the time when I surf, even with automatic updates turned off. (not running the mcafee FW only AV/with security center) 1) HWAPI--mcafee hacker watch service, 2)mcinfo mcafee security center information 3)McNAsvc Mcafee network agent 4) mcshell mcafee mISP shell 5)MCsvcrcnt mcafee server content 6) mcsync synchronization app . when I asked mcafee about it, I got two answers. 1) to update (I manually update--no answer 2) that's the way mcafee 2007 was designed, if I didn't want to allow mcafee unlimited and unrestricted access to the internet (o_O), then I should look for another antivirus. jmho, but I thought this was an extremely strange couple of answers with auto-updates turned off. it just doesn't quite set right. does anyone else using another AV have problems with their AV constantly trying to gain 'net access, when automatic-updates is turned off?

6. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: From what I read from Mcafee's website, these completely new so-called integrated programs do provide all-time protection, therefore constant internet connection and keeping in touch w/ its server is an integral part of such protection. The daily updates could be anything for firewall, AV or AS, in order to warn you about bad sites, or to block spywares, trojans and keylogers. It is a product of integration, FW,AV and AS all are weaved together seamlessly. Perhaps it is a new concept for next generation product, better positioned itself than those security suites (not quite integrated).

7. jrx10

jrx10 Registered Member

that's all fine and good,but who's watching the watcher? besides yourself? that's why it makes me uneasy to install AV, AS, with the same company's FW. is this one of the reasons that people like the same company's FW as it's AV and AS on board at the same time---ease of use, in that it automatically allows it's relative (kin) programs unrestricted use of the internet, so you really don't know what is going out? I don't know, but my experience with mcafee so far has pretty good, except for all their aps trying to constantly access the internet (also mcafee uses a substantial amount of resources, which bothers me when I'm multi-tasking and surfing. if you've got more than a half-a-gig of ram on your 'net machine, it shouldn't be a problem, though)

8. argus tuft

argus tuft Registered Member

No the exact same thing, but..
    The 07 version of trend micro recommends that i send each and every url i visit to them, (sounds like spyware to me) so that they can determine whether it's a safe site or not, also they try to do the same thing with all new softwares... (both options are 'recommended')
    To me personally, that just too big an invasion of my privacy to even consider, I thought the one of the main ideas behind Av/AS software was to protect your privacy from everyone, AV/AS companies included. Why not simply include such data in updates as they did in TMIS06?
    I also found it interesting that pg2 isn't at all happy about the address that TM's new 'help portal' tries to connect to. As far as I can tell, there is no way to disable the bloody help portal thing from opening whenever I open the TM console. IMHO there is no reason at all for any security product to connect of its own accord for any reason other than updates.
    This is the main reason that I'll be going back to the 06 version til my license expires

9. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: This is perhaps a new trend of community watch type protection. I know that Prevx1 heavily utilizes this approach. At first, I had tons of reservation, but now I am convinced that the concept is a brilliant idea to combat constantly brewing malwares, of course, providing there is someone actually and constantly watch what is going on . This sort of privacy invasion(if no objection to be called this way) does make a lot of users very uneasy. In the end, I guess it all depends upon each user's preference. IMO

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.