Why does FDISR services need to listen on port 4000?

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by Horus37, Mar 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Horus37

Horus37 Registered Member

My firewall keeps intercepting an outbound call from FDISR to listen on some port over 4000. Is this something I can block or is it trying to call out or what?

2. Rilla927

Rilla927 Registered Member

If it's a trusted program why would you be worried. Do you not trust Raxco?

They are very reputable.

3. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Hi.

Well, Rilla927, that's not exactly the point. The point is to be aware of what your applications do on your system and where do they conect and why.
    So, Horus37, FD-ISR has an option to store archives on remote servers/workstations, and I believe it uses some port above 4000 for listening in order to update the list of available archives on remote comps (by default). If you are not using remote to store archives, you can safely block that outbound request on your firewall. I don't see the option in FD settings to do that from inside the software. First defense does not call home, no need to worry IMO. Of course, there is always posibility that I am wrong here...

Cheers guys. :)

4. flinchlock

flinchlock Registered Member

No, those ports have nothing to do with archives on remote comps.

From the FirstDefense-ISR (Version 3.20 Build 202) Help file...

FirstDefense-ISR > Help > FirstDefense-ISR Manual > Contents > Command Line Interface > How do I Remote Control FirstDefence-ISR...

(My bolding and red)

Mike

5. tradetime

tradetime Registered Member

Yes as Mike says, has to be related to the remote usage, since FD-ISR doesn't actually do anything as and of itself, unless of course you have some form of scheduelling setup, which is a bit of a pain, I suspect this process could be set to manual, will do some experiments with it. I already have denied it network access, which doesn't seem to bother it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.