Why does chat support insist on trying to install older TI scheduler?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by mogulman, Mar 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mogulman

mogulman Registered Member

Ok.. so I've tried chatting with Acronis support a couple of times since I purchased True Image 2009 Home. Every time I have an issue they want me to install a bat file called Scheduler_update.zip.

I did it the first time and it totally hosed up my True Image Home.

I looked at the dates and versions in the files and they are all about a year older then the files that are part of True Image 2009 Build 9709.

Is there some reason why I would want to install these older scheduler files or are they just misleading me because they have nothing else to try..

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello mogulman,

Thank you for using Acronis True Image

Could you please provide us with the link? Please give us the whole string.

Thank you.

--
    Oleg Lee

3. mogulman

I don't have the link since it was chatted to me. I was sent the same link 2 times. Once when I first purchased TI 2009 and once when I wrote this message.

I can't post the zip file, but if you send me an email I can send you the zip file.

4. Acronis Support

Hello mogulman,

Thank you for your interesting in Acronis True Image

Can you please describe the issue and attach the last log file with the error message?

- Start Acronis True Image;
    - Select Tools -> Show log;
    - Choose the log entry which contains errors;
    - Click on the diskette icon, choose the location (folder) and save there;
    - Send us the log.

Best regards,
    --
    Dmitry Nikolaev

5. mogulman

Sheesh. This is the only post I am getting responses to? What about my post with my real issue or my email tickets.

The problem I was having doesn't have anything to do with this actual thread. I was just commenting on why Acronis support was trying to have me install an older version of the scheduler.

BTW... Tools->Show Log is not a valid way of getting a log file out of True Image 2009. Do you guys need to buy the newer version?

I can see that there is a way to save the log files by clicking on an entry under "Tasks and Log" and clicking Save or Save all.

6. mogulman

Here is a log file where I was having a problem. I deleted the task and created a new one and it is fine now. I'd still like to know why it stopped working when it did after weeks of working fine.

Attached Files:

7. Acronis Support

Hello mogulman,

Thank you for the provided log file. Unfortunately, it does not reveal the cause of the error. Could you please provide us with the exact sequence of actions that lead to the issue you report? Which backup are you trying to perform? Which destination?

Thank you.
    --
    Alexander Nikolsky

8. mogulman

I had a backup task that was set up to make an incremental image of my computer's C: drive to a usb 2.0 drive E:\

It was a scheduled task set up to run weekly. It had run a few times on its own. Then it stopped working. I tried running it manually and it wouldn't work either.

I ended up deleting the task and creating a new one and now it works.

9. Acronis Support

Hello mogulman,

Thank you for your interesting in Acronis True Image

Please do the following:

- Download the http://www.acronis.com/files/support/schedmgr.exe file ;
    - Start the Command Prompt from Start -> Programs -> Accessories menu;
    - Run the following commands in the folder you saved the file to:

schedmgr task zap
    schedmgr service stop
    schedmgr service uninstall
    schedmgr service install
    schedmgr service start

This should delete all the scheduled tasks on the PC.

You should manage your scheduled tasks from the scratch. Please make sure that Acronis Scheduler2 Service (Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services) Startup Type is set to Automatic. Otherwise, please set it to Automatic yourself and reboot your computer.

Best regards,
    --
    Dmitry Nikolaev

10. mogulman

I'm still trying to figure out what this has to do with my issue. Things are working now anyway. I posted that up above.

Maybe I'll remember this next time, but I'm not exactly sure why I would want to do this instead of just deleting the task and re-creating it. I'm not responding any more in this thread, because it is like...

I ask someone if they know where the closest gas station is.....

They respond and tell me that oil comes from Saudi Arabia...

11. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

First, 2009 uses a database feature, plus the scripts are kept in;

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Acronis\TrueImageHome\Scripts.

It is possible that the scripts for whatever reason aren't deleted completely and if there is a corrurption either in the script or in part of the functionality of the scheduler - the cli instructions of the scheduler - ensure that the installtion of the current service is uninstalled and a fresh copy installed and restarted. Windows is known to corrupt it's own files on upfates, bad shutdowns etc, let alone third party ones.

Colin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.