Why do you use NOD32?

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by izi, Jun 23, 2004.

?

Why do you use NOD32? Beacause of:

1. Price

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Good virus detection

37.5%
  3. Fast scanning

6.3%
  4. Easy to use

4.7%
  5. Advanced heuristics

14.1%
  6. Small updates

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Light resources

37.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. izi

izi Registered Member

Thanks for your answer!

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

All of the above. :D Need to add that to the poll.

3. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Registered Member

Agreed Ronjor , it is difficult to choose just one reason for using Nod.

Frank

4. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

Agreed. I voted virus detection, but would have voted all the above if it were available. :)

5. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Same here :D

6. bsilva

bsilva Registered Member

I have to concur... :)

7. optigrab

optigrab Registered Member

Voted for 'Light resources', but would have also checked "Good virus detection" and "Fast scanning" if I could.

8. DiGi

DiGi Registered Member

Please can admins enable "multiple choices" on this poll? ;)

9. Pigman

Pigman Registered Member

I voted for light resources, but I use it for all the reasons:
    1) It uses such a small percentage of system resources that it does not effect my computer's performance in any way. (Which is saying something, since I have an ancient IBM with a 300Mz Pentium 2 and 64 megs of RAM.)
    2) It seems to score higher than anything except Kaspersky (or AVs using the Kaspersky engine) in the detection department.
    3) Advanced heuristics, which promise to make it even better.
    4) Its updates are about twice a week, almost as good as AntiVir's.
    5) Unlike Dr. Web, it doesn't conflict with everything!
    6) The interface is good-looking and user-friendly without being clunky or overdone in the graphics department. And it still looks good when you turn the graphics off.
    7) The scans are ungodly fast - on my computer, they take less than 3 minutes. (This is very convenient, but it seems to come at a price.)

10. helloworld

helloworld Guest

resource usage is the ultimate reason.

while snip tries to cover every virus on the earth, NOD32 only tries to nail down those that will actually affect us. By doing so, NOD32 keeps its signature database at a comfortable level and thus ensuring the quality of the signature and the speed of the AV. If anything escapes from the signature matching, heuristic/advanced heuristic will make the final attempt.

NOD32 has one of the best memory resident module. This is the second reason I use NOD32. If the virus gets into your system and only later is found by scanning, that is all too late. Your system may be infected already and deleting the virus file won't help you to disinfect. I always believe in an AV that stops you before infection.

edited to remove references to other AVs.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2004
  11. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

3 argumentative off-topic posts removed.

edited to add -

One more post removed. Further posts which are off topic and aimed at nothing but creating anger and arguements will be dealt with in an identical manner.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2004
  12. Pigman

Pigman Registered Member

NOD's heuristics are good enough for me.

And just look at the stuff it catches in AV comparisons. It's way up there, almost as good as Kaspersky in the detection department and better in the resource department.

13. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Since Advanced heuristics used to be used mainly for scanning email, it focused mainly on detection of worms. We are aware of the new capabilities the new beta will bring and plan to improve detection of trojans via AH shortly. I think that's what most of you are keen on and awaiting eagerly.

14. Dazed_and_Confused

Dazed_and_Confused Registered Member

I didn't see "Great User Support" on the list. Add that item, just above "All of Above", which would be my answer.

15. divedog

divedog Registered Member

Ok so I just purchased NOD after the 30-day trial. I really like it’s small footprint. In the past few months I have tried a lot of virus software. KAV 5 slowed my 2.4ghz P4 down to a crawl, never seen a antivirus slow down a PC as much as KAV I tied it on a friends machine that had 19 Trojans on it Kav said it found and deleted all 19 Trojans but follow up scans with other software proved it hadn’t removed a thing I would have liked to try other antivirus software on this machine but scan speeds were slow so I just broke out TDS-3 and took care of business. I have tried Norton and McAfee my personal opinion is McAfee is a bit better but I hated their security center always trying to sell me stuff I don’t want. Antivirus software is supposed to protect your puter not take it over. I really liked Avast I never had a problem with the free version but for some unknown reason the Pro version 60 day trial corrupted on me after several days and when I reinstalled it the software said I only had 7 days left other than that it was a bit slow scanning but I liked the small footprint. I decided on NOD for its ability to detect the unknown, fast scan speed, light footprint and support forums.

Just my 2 cents

Divedog

16. Dazed_and_Confused

Dazed_and_Confused Registered Member

Congratulations, DiveDog! You will not be disappointed. And you will enjoy the support forum. Stay in touch and let us know how things go! :D

17. Notok

Notok Registered Member

My intorduction to NOD was when I had a backdoor that allowed someone to delete 50GB worth of stuff, including some contract work I was doing, while I was using Avast. I spent EIGHT hours download and scanning with all of the trials of all the major AVs. I had heard good things about this little one called NOD32 so decided to give it a try. NOD32 scanned quickly and cleaned everything right up, even with the default settings. After spending that long scanning, the fact that it only took about 5 mins to scan everything just about blew my mind. Doing a search for info on the trojan revealed that NOD and KAV were the only ones that knew anything about it, but the overall performance is what really did it. Now I've got a whole suite of excellent tools, so those infected Russian emails don't get anywhere anymore :)

18. lynchknot

lynchknot Registered Member

What do you guys think of the stand alone version - I just dl to try it out.

19. MCT

MCT Registered Member

i would have voted "all of the above" if that was an option :p
    regards

20. sig

sig Registered Member

Stand alone version? Don't know what you mean by "stand alone."

If you're referring to a version that consists of only the on-demand scanner (no IMON or updater included), the only ones I've seen available online are warez. The free trial available at the ESET web site is fully functional, just time limited.

If you mean something else, please clarify.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2004
  21. lynchknot

nevermind, it blue screened while scanning (I shut down real time for my other AV) - I suppose it is one of those bad apps.

22. Pigman

Pigman Registered Member

Downloading a cracked version of NOD is, in my opinion, very much a crime.

23. lynchknot

"Oink *grunt* oink *snort**grunt*" - Are you going to arrest me pig? hehe, sorry just kidding - it's gone - I was misinformed - I thought it to be legit - there was no crack - Poster said it was free stand alone from nod32 - It was later removed from the site.

The major crime is those who create viruses and trojan/worms

Last edited: Jun 30, 2004
  24. Azn_Tweaker

Azn_Tweaker Registered Member

i like it because it uses little resources and has an good virus detection :)

25. sir_carew

sir_carew Registered Member

Hi,
    Strange, AH is also good detecting trojans.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.