Why do you try different security applications/schemes?

Discussion in 'polls' started by Sully, Jan 23, 2011.

?

Why do you try different security software?

1. 1. To find the best possible protection - I don't care about the resources used, just the best secur

16 vote(s)
    14.4%
  2. 2. To find the best protection I can that also has the lowest resource usage possible.

72 vote(s)
    64.9%
  3. 3. I am a software junkie.

23 vote(s)
    20.7%
  1. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Why do you try so many different security tools? Are you searching for something?

Sul.

2. Creer

Creer Registered Member

To find the best protection I can that also has the lowest resource usage possible :thumb:

3. ExtremeGamerBR

ExtremeGamerBR Registered Member

To find the best protection I can that also has the lowest resource usage possible.

4. Woodgiant

Woodgiant Guest

I have not changed my preferred AV-vendor the last 4 years.:) But I still play around and test new versions from those vendors I find interesting, or who have come out with a different approach to manage malware. I do this mainly because it is fun, and it is nice to have knowledge of other AV-vendors solutions.

Best Regards

Woodgiant

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2011
  5. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

To learn mostly of the different schemes and for which purposes or target group that it works best for. Not everyone likes the UAC, not everyone can run as LUA, not everyone can handle HIPS, not everyone can live with Light Virtualization, etc etc...With every trial, I get a wider/deeper perception of the various schemes...to appreciate the strengths (Pros) and the realize the inherent weaknesses (Cons) of each without much bias/prejudice...

Personally, I'm trying to find something that comforts me, suits my personal wants and usage pattern and that suits others using my PC. IOTW, something that feels most 'right' at home. I'm also trying to find a scheme/ideology that can last me for a long time, meaning to say one that can withstand without much updating, one that is relatively silent but ought to alert me when something 'fishy' may be going on in the background. I'm merely trying to find a balance...

6. Rampastein

Rampastein Registered Member

I rarely try something, but when I do, I try to find the best combination of good protection, lightness and easy of use for everyone using the computer.

7. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

In the last 3 years my system has been fairly static, I don't change much really, the only addition lately has been Sandboxie.

8. Boost

Boost Registered Member

What I use works,no need to try different combos.

9. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I often try different security extensions for browsers out of curiosity. At the end of the day you learn from experience I suppose. That may qualify me as a 'software junkie' though ... ;)

10. Noob

Noob Registered Member

First curiosity to experiment and second to get the best security without conflicts between software.
    About performance, i've only experienced a few times that a software hogs my PC down and it's usually conflicts :D

11. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

+1.
    That's the Ideal Combo!

12. nikanthpromod

nikanthpromod Registered Member

13. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    To find the very best protective layers but has low system resource usage impact. Hhmmnn..maybe I have already found it. As of Now...Who knows time change and new ones appears and still the other ones arrives. ;)

Last edited: Jan 26, 2011
  14. SIR****TMG

SIR****TMG Registered Member

Protection is best protected in layers .:D :)

15. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

I voted for the 2nd choice, To find the best protection I can that also has the lowest resource usage possible,

but the 3rd choice, I am a software junkie, figures into the mix.

I think Sul could have combined the two choices and come up with an appropriate category... i.e. I am a security junkie!

The ongoing (if not constant and relentless) desire to improve upon one's security set up, combined with a strong appreciation for pleasing software UI's and impressive program features dominates this (security junkie) category.

There is at least a minor tendancy to believe in the FUD that gets thrown in our direction (whether we like to admit it or not), and a healthy dose of pride gets factored in as well... pride that our computers stay operational when all around us, friends and acquaintances appear to be fighting a losing battle against malware.

The desire to not-get-owned must be stronger in us than in online society in general, and our willingness to devote disportionate amounts of time to our computing well-being is evidence that we belong to this small, yet elite class of computer users. That we have fun doing it is obvious. That we are worthy of study, as a gathering of devoted entusiasts, will one day probably be manifested by some college student's term paper.

16. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

My choice -"glutton for punishment" ;)

17. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

I like trying new things while keeping safe with the lowest mem usage possible. I really love the tools without many users but work great so I normally try them from time to time.

18. carat

carat Guest

I am a software junkie (trjam is my idol) :D

19. CJsDad

CJsDad Registered Member

I voted #2 but I would like to add another one.

4. Curiosity. Sometimes I just want to see what all the hype is about with the latest/greatest program. Sometimes it works out for the best and I'll keep the program and sometimes it doesnt work out and I move on.
    Hmmm, maybe this can be labeled under software junkie also?

20. trjam

trjam Registered Member

necessity

21. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

I don't for the most part. I've tried out some software but I usually end up in the same place. The only time I'll keep a security measure is when it has little to no performance effect.

22. J_L

J_L Registered Member

I try to find the best security with moderately low background resource usage. That and being a software junkie fits me.

23. roady

roady Registered Member

Option 2 And 3.....:D
    Too bad I only can select 1....:p

24. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

Option 1, and then, it'a funny to try something new.

25. clayieee

clayieee Registered Member

To find the best protection I can that also has the lowest resource usage possible.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.