Why do you love your computer?

Discussion in 'ten-forward' started by tepi, Dec 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tepi

tepi Registered Member

Hi Folks:

My question is simple. Why do you love your computer? What's your story?

Cheers,

tepi

2. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

I don't. There is only always just that "thingy" I have to finish and before you know it, you start a few new ones and you'll have to finish one of those tomorrow. :D

3. tepi

tepi Registered Member

OK. Let me rephrase the question. How did you get hooked on computers?

I got hooked when I found I could use my computer to accurately plot the path of a satellite, know exactly when and where it would appear in the sky at my location, point my antennas at it and have them track its path across the sky all the while uploading and downloading messages and data from all over the world until it finally disappeared below the horizon. That was when I got truly hooked. That was the thrill of my life. Today, of course, we have this vastly more efficient and click-of-the-mouse Internet. But the thrill…?

4. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

There are many reasons I love my computer. I think the main one is because it can take me almost anywhere on this great planet in just a few seconds. I am able to see things that physcially I would never be able to. And most of all I have met many many people on line that I would never of had the good fortune to have met. I guess these are the main reason That I love my computer. :D

P.S.
    Not to mention all of the things I have learned and continue to learn here on the net. (and at wilders)

5. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

For me it's access.
    I can research just about anything.
    I rarely travel,but when I do,I drive.
    Mapquest is lot easier than digging out the map and plotting a course.

I can email family members that live a long distance from me.

I learned more about my genealogy than I ever thought possible.
    That was possible thru internet access and some cool people that helped me out. :)

This forum has taught me things that I wouldn't know about security.But even more important,that there are good,helpful people all over the globe that look out for each other.

6. Uguel707

Uguel707 Graphic Artist

The main reason was that I have a hungry mind and used to buy lots of books... ;)

But they took up more and more room so I decided to try to get as much information as possible through the internet. I find that the Internet is very convenient and entertaining! :)

Also, when I was a kid I was very thrilled by the idea of communicating to remote people by means of a CB, I never had a CB but I have the internet, which I find is even better!
    And, I decided to get connected to have the chance to talk to all kinds of people all around the world... :)

Uguel

7. jayzzz

jayzzz Registered Member

In the late '80s, I was surprised and impressed by the difference between using WordPerfect and using an IBM Correcting Selectric III. The computer was no more than a really fancy typewriter to me. Soon, it expanded into a way to design, print (dot matrix), and hand-colour greeting cards for friends and family.

Since getting to know folks on most of the continents (when I first came on-line, I surfed but didn't interact and saw no point to "typing at strangers"), I see it as THE tool that's made it possible for common folks to have friends all over the globe. Recognizing that there are many worlds on this one planet and feeling a part of a global community has a value that can't be over-stated, in my opinion. I've done a complete 180 degree turn.

The part where the word, "love," might apply is in the loss of our governments' abilities to control what we "know" by selectively sharing or manufacturing information to suit their own purposes. Propaganda can never again be used with impunity to manipulate the perceptions of individuals. The Internet has crippled a negative factor that's influenced every step since the dawn of our civilization.

mj :)

8. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

I fully agree and echo (Double) everything thats been said upto now and I will most likely, knowing the good people here, will fully agree with what is said in the future on this Thread.

As for loving my Computer, YES I do, it's given me a new lease of life and opened up a whole new world to me and at my age that takes some doing.

But one other reason for loving my Computer is, that if I didn't, who in their right mind would.o_O?? :D ;)

Love to all, Cochise, :cool:
    PS. The cool 'shades' I wear protect me from the [glow=red,2,300]RADIATION.[/glow]

9. Peaches4U

Peaches4U Registered Member

:D luv my computer because it keeps my level of frustration up and my blood pressure high. :D That way I have an excuse to visit my handsome doc so he can hold my hand while taking my blood pressure. :D Kidding aside, I like my computer because it gives me a challenge, keeps me out of mischief, it is something more than just for doing email or play games, as many use it for. Also, the computer never allows one's mind to retire.

10. beetlejuice

beetlejuice Registered Member

How's that again? o_O :eek: :doubt:

11. Peaches4U

:D Did I detect your rank is now Beetlejuice, Beetle. o_O I had nothing to do with it but I have my suspicions!! :D

12. beetlejuice

Yeah, I know who did that. I like it. LWM just couldn't put it on there 3 times or bad things happen. With my screen name it goes like this...
    beetlejuice
    beetlejuice!
    beetle....
    I was talking about things like, oh, I don't know, like "Shock Treatments" :eek:. and turning Acadia into a frog prince and other throughly ammusing things like that! :D :D :D
    Not saying anything bad or that you shouldn't. I think everyone here would agree that you make this board a happier place by making us laugh. :D :D :D

13. Peaches4U

14. beetlejuice

15. greyfox

greyfox Registered Member

I love my computer because it has enabled me to find close and distant cousins and add to my family tree. I've made some really dear friends doing genealogical research on the net. I also love the Internet because there is so much information available on any subject I might be curious about. I might add that I love it so much that it has become an addiction. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.