Why do you like Avira AntiVir better than KAV?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by AlamoCity, May 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AlamoCity

AlamoCity Registered Member

Why didn't you go back to using KAV after trying AntiVir? Don't you feel a lot safer with KAV's PDM feature protecting you while you're online?

If you're paying for the AntiVir PE edition, you don't even get free email tech support. Instead, you have to rely on a slow responding forum, where your problem can be ignored. With KAV, at least you get to email a tech if the forum can't help you.

How much more stable is AntiVir than KAV, as far as it not having bugs that cause problems, etc?

2. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Every software has bugs and/or problems. Obviously the more users, the greater number of both positive and negative posts. Kaspersky is a great product. I did not like all the pop ups and slowness of browsing. Avira is very quick and detects just as well. They are both very good, so the only way you will accuratly know is to try both.

3. disinter1

disinter1 Guest

I like both products really, but KAV for me is way heavier than Antivir PE or premium, so Antivir wins for this one. And correct me if I'm wrong, Antivir has better detection rates more times above KAV quite a few times, so tell me why Antivir ain't a big dog in the antivirus game? Overall, there is no reason not to use Avira especially when free (of course no spyware detection) when choosing an antivirus.:D

4. Long View

Long View Registered Member

Antivir has a perfectly acceptable free version so I can see no reason to pay for KAV or any other anti-virus program. I have read that Antivir has a better detection score ? who knows. I'm told that it is lighter than most - even so I tend to run with it disabled and use it more as an on demand program. If there is a lighter, free anti-virus program with an excellent detection record then I would switch straight away.

5. tayres

tayres Guest

I used Avira because it didn't slow down my system much (and was free, had some of the best detection rates, a simple user interface, etc.). Once I upgraded to 1GB of memory, however, there was no noticeable difference between the two.

So now i'm using KIS because I need the firewall and enjoy fine-tuning the limited HIPS in the Proactive Defense module.

I usually match software to my needs and understanding.

6. Technic

Technic Registered Member

KAV is better for sure. Where do you get that idea we would prefer Antivir?

Best regards,

Technic

7. trjam

trjam Registered Member

there are areas Kav may be better, but not all.

8. AlamoCity

What about the stability? Can any current users of AntiVir PE comment on this? A lot of KAV users switch to NOD32 because it's a lot more stable. Is that the case with AntiVir as well? If you find it more stable/less buggy than KAV, is the improvement comparable to what NOD32 users experience?

The reason I ask is because as much as I prefer KAV, I plan to dump it if it causes me any serious problems. And AntiVir PE would be my first choice for an alternate AV program. But if it's not much better than KAV as far as buggy operation/instability is concerned, then I would definitely go with NOD32. Because the "average" detection rate of NOD32 can be enhanced by supplementing your security with an on-demand AV program, as well as a behavior based heuristics program, etc.

9. disinter1

disinter1 Guest

I have Antivir PE running right now without the nag screen, every two hours updating, and it runs smooth and it never bothers me, it's that good!:D

10. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

IMO AntiVir PE has a few minor bugs, but nothing that I can call a "showstopper". :)

11. Technic

Technic Registered Member

Lots of users switching from KAV to NOD32? It might be vice versa.
    I am very interested to know where you get all your statements?

Any links?

Thanks a lot for your help.

12. AlamoCity

So on a scale of 1-10, with one meaning the fewest bugs and the most stability:

NOD32 is:
    KAV is:
    AntiVir PE is:

13. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

IMHO:
    - NOD 32: 2.5
    - KAV: 3.5
    - Antivir PE: 4

Disclaimer: I do use Antivir PE Classic.

14. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

I've only had extensive experience with NOD32 and KAV and, with respect to bugs and program stability, I've seen no issues with either.

Blue

15. Firecat

NOD32: 2.0
    KAV: 3.0
    AntiVir Premium: 4.5
    :)

16. sockie

sockie Registered Member

Avira is less resource hungry and in my case it detected and cleaned a virus that KAV neither saw and therefore could not remove. I think KAV is overhyped.

17. tsilo

tsilo Registered Member

I like AntiVir Premium because it's much light and fast than Kaspersky, and simply have better detection.
    So.. why choose Kaspersky? Bugs? all AV have less or more bugs...

18. Firecat

Somewhat off-topic, but I remember reading on the Kaspersky Fan Club forum that some person from KL said that Avira AntiVir is one of the more "interesting" products in the market. Whether this means that KL is thinking of acquiring Avira is unknown. :)

19. AlamoCity

It's vice versa and versa vice. People switch to NOD32 when KAV causes problems on their system, and other people switch to KAV when NOD32 is caught missing one too many viruses or trojans. It's just a merry-go-round, where it's going to stop... nobody knows.

Sure, just keep your eye on this one: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=174846

Welcome.

20. tamdam

tamdam Registered Member

well one of the major claims of KAV is its PDM -> its simplicity and rollback feature make it a favourite for some people, especially against full-blown HIPS which are more-resource-hungry but don't necessarily catch more malware. Its obviously something Avira doesn't have.

Another thing to consider is that KIS (the suite) has highly-regarded firewall for very little resources (its mainly the AV that's heavy). With Avira they have a very basic firewall in their suite. If you were to get Antivir (not the suite) and wanted a highly rated firewall, you'd be looking at Comodo (resource-hungry) or Jetico (popup-city) as far as I can see. I think maybe many people consider KIS as not perfect, but the best balanced suite - whereas layered defense of Avira + firewall + HIPS is better protection theoretically, as of right now you might need to compromise on one of the layers if you want to keep "light".

The second option is what I'm doing on my laptop (with Vista). I did use KIS when it had XP and it ran beautifully on an admin account - but when I ran limited user it suddenly struggled for some reason (I don't like any of the HIPS out there atm so I wanted a limited-user account as my 'HIPS'). So when I went to vista i decided to try Antivir + Look 'n' Stop firewall + UAC turned on (as a HIPS-like feature) and it worked out fine. Look 'n' Stop firewall is my "compromise" I guess because it doesn't rate as highly as KIS firewall or others.

21. AlamoCity

Huh? In your first post in this thread you said "IMO AntiVir PE has a few minor bugs, but nothing that I can call a "showstopper"

But by your numbers above, your opinion is that AntiVir Premium has more bugs and is less stable than KAV?? This is a surprise to me, because of the people I read about who switched to AntiVir from KAV, and loved it. It's strange to me how former KAV users could love a program that is more buggy and less stable.

22. AlamoCity

What about the resources used? On a scale of 1-10, with 10 being the most resources used, please rate the three programs for comparison purposes:

NOD32:
    KAV:
    AntiVir:

23. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

I like Avast! better. Another thread? :p

24. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

AntiVir PE is light, effective and free. What more could one want in an AV. :thumb:

25. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

See this. Thread closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.