why do you like apple and macs?

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by lodore, Dec 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hello,
    Im wondering why people like macs? whats your reason for using a mac and if you use mac exclusively why?

I find apple worse than Microsoft. For a start they are more proprietary and give you very little choice of hardware. I have often wondered why apple dont sell a base unit only? I don't want a desktop machine that uses laptop components. I can sort of see the appeal of a mac. I like the idea of one company selling both software and hardware so it works the best possible.
    but why should I pay extra because it has the apple logo on it? I can get a quad core desktop machine with high end graphics for less than the price of the cheapest imac and that includes windows 7 home premium. the pc has much better spec.

2. chronomatic

chronomatic Registered Member

If I had to choose between Apple and M$, I would pick Apple mainly because the OS is better designed at the core and looks better with the UI. Not to mention it has better built-in apps.

However, now that we have so many Linux distros that are becoming more and more user friendly, and since Linux will run on more hardware than OS X and Windows combined, I see no reason whatsoever to pay the premium for OS X hardware. Linux, like OS X, is a Unix-like OS, except Linux is free and will run on your cheaper PC hardware.

So, yes, I agree with you. I have a hard time understanding why people buy Macs.

3. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

I understand people who use Mac for business, like my brother.
    Don't see much reason to have it in your home, unless you want to, which is a good reason :) Your money, your rules. Do as you please and enjoy yourself.
    Mrk

4. phaedrus

phaedrus Registered Member

I plan on getting a macbook in the new year.
    For me its primarily about music software (Logic 9 and Guitar Rig) and also I guess quality and aesthetics come into it too.

Just to add - I`m a Linux user for 99% of my computing. Currently I only run Windows to use the Windows version of Guitar Rig, so having the Mac would give me a Windows free life.

5. aigle

aigle Registered Member

To me it,s basically due to two reasons.

1- Aesthetic issue- both hardware and software look and feel is just so COOL. The ONLY reason for me to wish for a Mac.

2- OSX is safer than windows ATM, though I believe it might not remain so if it gets a significant desktop share. Linux is equally safe too but out of the box it is not so easier/ trouble-free choice for beginners.

6. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

My basic reason is I want too.

I have five machines. Three run Linux, one runs OS/2 and the fifth machine is a Mac Pro.

7. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Would you elaborate why Mac is an understandable reason for business? I thought Universities, architects, photographers, graphic artists environments would probably benefit from Macs, being generally geared towards visuals than Windows. Business by and large is about office work which in most cases is pretty standard stuff (not to mention the cost of supplying a big company with Macs).

8. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

My brother is a photographer, so ...
    Mrk

9. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Should I Buy a Mac or a PC?
    (I have a few pcs and one mac)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.