Why do people use so many programs...

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Metal425, Sep 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Metal425

Metal425 Registered Member

Ok, so I was looking in a thread of what security programs you guys run, and I see people that run like 6+ active security programs.
    I mean your computer must take forever to boot up.
    You could just get a suite, or become a safer surfer.
    It's insane how much faster their computers could be, without 6 active security programs running constantly.

2. Chris12923

Chris12923 Registered Member

Well first off this is a security forum so a lot of people here want to feel very secure. Second yes PC's will boot much faster without all the security programs running but will it continue to be faster once it gets infected by malware? Suites are probably ok by a safe surfer but if you are a high risk surfer than just a suite alone is probably not the best choice. Security is usually better in a layered setup. Yes we can become safer surfers but most people aren't going to change their surfing habits just so the PC boots up faster or runs just a tad faster. Although some people including myself are using more or less frozen PC's using FDISR or Rollback RX. Boots/runs faster and sometimes even cheaper than the 6+ security softwares.

Thanks,

Chris

3. Metal425

Yeah, but you don't need all that to be safe, you can still be safe with a simple setup, such as KIS 7.0

4. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Good question, complex answer and is different for everyone. You see by my sig I don't use much. I test around some, but rely heavily on those smarter then me for their thoughts and opinions on stuff. So I am glad some to see so much security being tested in various combinations

Mr. Slowsky turtle in the Comcast commercial sitting at his computer, "Ahhh me time". :D That would be me. Wilders is a part of that time for sure ;)

5. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

If you computer gets attacked and the malware attacks the suite then all your defenses would go down in one swift blow. You will be open to attacks.

6. Metal425

Still you could have a backup, but I mean.. you don't need 6+ programs, unless you're on a public network.

7. Chris12923

Chris12923 Registered Member

Yes it might be ok if you are safe surfer other than that maybe most of the people on this forum are wrong and we all should switch to KIS 7? I doubt it but if it works for you thats all that matters.

Thanks,

Chris

8. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I think there is a small set of people here who tend to overuse the security apps (meaning too many), but I also think that many of the people posting here also consider this stuff a hobby of sorts and just enjoy trying out and testing various security apps. I know I fall into that category. Right now I am just using the router and an AV, nothing else, because that's all I really need. But that doesn't stop me from trying out new apps as I see them appear, or updated apps that I like. But everyone has a different idea of what security means, and most people use whatever makes them feel comfortable I think.

9. Metal425

Yeah, I love testing security apps.

10. screamer

screamer Registered Member

Exactly how I see it. Over the past year or so, I've curbed my appetite so to speak and settled on a combination that I feel keeps me safe (include FD- ISR and call me bullet proof) and keeps my box running proficiently. Start-up ~60sec.

...screamer

11. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

It is a wonder for those running so much security, but I keep quiet and just enjoy my lone AV and FW.

Anyways its all a personal preference. To each their own.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2007
  12. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Hi Metal:

Good question.

It's how users see risk and how interested/concerned they are to minimize it.
    How many is too few? I would say 3 functions covered or 1 suite covering those functions. Prevent, detect and destroy tools are what we are dealing with here. If people are not safe surfers they won't change.

Active/ real time?

I have 4 now, used to have only the 3.

A good FW (2 way) an AV and a ASW plus PG 2 which gives me blocking on outgoing packets which are my main concern.

I'm not trying to justify my layered approach just describe it for your thread.

You can go suite but in my view that isn't a promise it will take less resource than the layers. But picking one is quicker and you must be willing to put all your trust into 1 vendor. Maybe you are but I'm not prepared to do that.

Password generation and management and an image based backup setup is just as important as these security tools. Maybe more important.

13. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

I've had so much stuff on this computer, and on others, that I'm embarrassed to admit it. I finally started over, reformated, added the free (then) Paragon HD manager and tried more, and more, then reset everything to the beginning thanks to Paragon. I now have Blink Personal with antivirus and that's all.

14. Carver

Carver Registered Member

To put it simply your on a forum with more computer security experts than you could shake a stick at and your wondering why we are so heavily armed :blink: Each security software has a function, the area it covers is limited. Layers of security apps are more effective than just 1 or 2 apps.

15. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,

In my production setups, it's only Firewall + Firefox. Boot times are 10-15 seconds to login screen, another 30-40 for services to load, plus another minute for machines with VMware adapters (which take some time). Linux machines boot in about a minute or so, completely.

BTW, if you think Windows is fast with a few apps, Linux is USS Enterprise at Warp 9. Even the Windows virtual machines on Linux are faster than native Windows... :) Especially the networking.

I do have test setups, with tons of this and that, but that's a different story altogether.

Sorry, I do have a few machines with AV, but they are mainly dormant.

Mrk

16. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

I'm pretty much the same as the above post but as for why do people use so many programs I believe its just a process some go through, a learning curve gradually chipping away the software with knowledge.

17. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I try not to duplicate security software with the exception of my Anti-spyware apps. I use one in real time and one for on demand. I use BoClean which attacks trojans as they try to open, and SpywareBlaster, a little app that just sits there and blocks malware. My AV is NOD32, and I have FDISR for snapshots and Acronis TI for images. and of course my Comodo FW. Of course I won't have to use them all at the same time, but hopefully they each have a slightly different function.:)

18. LUSHER

LUSHER Registered Member

Actually has as being mentioned before real security experts run a lot less security products than you might think.

Some don't even run Antiviruses, much less all that HIPS stuff. :cautious:

So please don't judge someone has a "security expert" because he runs several layers, anyone with spare time and cash and can do that... lol...

19. Metal425

Good point :thumb:

20. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

Gotta agree with you, sir. I've run Ubuntu live CD and even it loads much faster than windows. I'm now waiting on 5 linux install/live CD's to arrive to try out a few more different flavors, and for a DSL upgrade which will speed things up considerably so I can download even more.

Ubuntu, PCLinux, Right now, I think one of them is going on this box as my OS. I still want to try Freespire or SimplyMepis though. Heard good things about Mepis.

21. Carver

Carver Registered Member

"Real security experts" know just which security products to use to be effective and to be a "Real security expert" takes time. One does have to learn, as you say anybody can do it with spare time and cash.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2007
  22. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Completely agree.

23. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Chuck...

You really can't go wrong with PCLinuxOS 2007, or Ubuntu for that matter. Both are great, I give a slight favorable edge to PCLOS personally. I set up SuSE 10.2 today to have another look, I like it's look and feel perhaps best of them all. But no doubt you will enjoy both...

24. herbalist

herbalist Guest

Security suites often have as many running processes as a security package made from separate components and can slow a system just as much or more.
    Several years ago, I used Norton Internet Security. My system took almost 2 minutes longer to boot up than it does now with separate security apps and 4 more that run once at bootup. It's also more stable and quite a bit faster now. The number of security apps being used isn't the main factor, It's how much memory, processor power, and disk space the processes use.
    Rick

25. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

Ocd lol..... jk.. i only run 3 rest are online scans :rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.