Why do people now perfer this over that...

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by dja2k, Jun 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Why do people around here perfer Acronis True Image, RX Rollback, or FirstDefense-ISR over programs like Drive Snapshot which was recommend around here a few years back. Are these programs really better? Don't they waste more resources since they have to be runned actively in windows? What do you look for in those that snapshot doesn't have? Do you use them because they are used inside Windows enviornment and not in DOS? Are they faster to built an image than Snapshot? What other impression do you have to share about drive imaging programs?

I see some people using those other software titles and yet they get some errors when going back to another image where as I have never had a problem reverting with Drive Snapshot. I have been using Drive Snapshot for some time now and I wonder if it is worth the change to these other titles.

dja2k

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

First of all, FDISR and Drive snapshot are two separate types of software. Drive snapshot,IFW/IFD and ATI are better comparisons. Drive Snapshot was excellent for taking an image from windows. But it's DOS based recovery disk is this side of useless for all but expert disk users. I have it, I bought it, and no way would I mess with that recovery disk. If it's author wants the program to suceed he needs to look at ATI's recovery disk, and/or Image for DOS.

I would recommend that anyone who isn't an expert users stay away.

3. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

The choice between FDISR, RollbackRx, DeepFreeze, ShadowUser was easy for me.
    DeepFreeze and ShadowUser don't have what FDISR and RollbackRx have.
    FDISR and RollbackRx have possibilities that you won't find in DeepFreeze or ShadowUser.
    FDISR can protect you in the same way as DeepFreeze and ShadowUser and probably RollbackRx also.
    So it was FDISR or RollbackRx and since RollbackRx has reliability problems, the choice was again easy : FDISR.

Acronis True Image or Terabyte IFW wasn't that easy.
    1. I needed an image backup software immediately, because I was dead tired of re-installing my system manually.
    2. I didn't understand IFW immediately, while ATI was more userfriendly.
    3. In spite of all the problems in the ATI forums, which are really scaring, I trialed ATI and tested its main functions and I never could find anything wrong.
    4. I bought ATI rather quickly, because the backup program on the Rescue CD doesn't work in the trial version and I needed that function.
    So I have NO REASON to ditch ATI, it NEVER failed. Will it ever fail? Of course just like any other software. But what ALL softwares have in common is a boring subject for me.

Why would I care about resource hogs, slowness, memory problems, ...
    1. I have cable and my ISP is the fastest in Belgium.
    2. I have a powerfull CPU, that allows multi-tasking
    3. I have 2gb RAM (upto 4gb, if necessary)
    4. I have two fast WD Raptor harddisks.
    Even Firefox opens fast within 3-4 seconds, while it never opened that fast on my old computer.

4. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

So if someone is using First Defense ISR, can they use an imaging disk software too like True Image? Or not? Do these two even work on a dual raid system which is split up into four drive letters, C-windows (RAID1 Part 1) - 10 GIG, D-programs (RAID2 Part 1) - 114 GIG, E-games\backup (RAID2 Part 2) 114 GIG, F-Temp (RAID1 Part 2) - 218 GIG? Can I exclude a drive letter from first defense ISR?

I have used true image before on a normal system, so that is kind of easy to understand, but where can I get the heads up easily to learn how to use First Defense ISR besides the postings in here? - The whole first image to second image and freeze stuff...the basics, I will then get the hang of it, just need to be thrown in the right track.

dja2k

Last edited: Jun 6, 2006
  5. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    Correct me if I'm wrong but:
    Drive Snapshot can restore image inside Windows too.
    When you load the software, you have the option of restore or backup.
    Mrk

6. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Yes it can, but not the windows partition as it is active. The DOS bootdisk is another thing, which can do all. The hard thing is knowing the DOS command which starts with: A:\snapshot restore hd1 auto (location of snaphot).sna etc.

dja2k

7. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

FDISR works only on your system partition [C:], where you can store upto 10 snapshots.
    The primary snapshot is created during the installation and you can copy/update the primary snapshot to a secondary snapshot, depending on your needs. Keep an eye on the space FDISR uses, because that's quite alot.

There is only ONE active snapshot, the one where you booted in and you can freeze that active snapshot.
    Once a snapshot is frozen, any change (good or bad) in that snapshot will be removed during the next reboot.
    Right after freezing, it's good to reboot back in that frozen snapshot.
    You can compare this with DeepFreeze or ShadowUser.

Since you have more than one partition, you will need an image backup software to backup/restore all your partitions.
    I use Acronis True Image and FDISR together without any problems.
    I don't have RAID, so you better test this first or ask questions in the Acronis Forums at Wilders.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2006
  8. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Both are out, but thanks anyways. FirstDefense wants to put all snapshots in C which is my 10 gig drive partition, but won't hold any other snapshot. Acronis True Image 9 won't support my HighPoint 372 Raid. I am better off staying with GOOD OLD Drive Snapshot, never failled, works with both RAID setups, and doesn't use any resources, anyways I got the hang of it, pretty easy and quick too. I usually only restore C and D, both the others E and F stay intact all the time. Thanks all for the help in posting.

dja2k

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.