Why did you choose your username?

Discussion in 'ten-forward' started by dog, Jun 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dog

dog Guest

Hi All, ;)

Why did you choose your username? What's the meaning behind it, etc.?

dog - *puppy*

2. dog

dog Guest

Mine comes from early childhood, I brought home and cared for anything ... -BTW my Mom was not fond of these acts. (not in a bad way, I hope you all know what I mean) ;) :D - still do to some respect (all our "kids" were adopted in this fashion.) ... now it's just not every Tom, Dick, and Harry, to my Moms, and better halfs relief, I've learn to pick my spots :D . Anyway, this didn't go unnoticed by friends ... and I have a particular fondness for Cats and Dogs ... So I guess being male ... they couldn't call me Cat ... so I earned the Nickname dog ... and it's stuck ever since. ;) ... this happened in the early/mid 70's ... and is in no way related to the slang dawg, just plain old dog!

dog - *puppy*

3. blabhead

blabhead Registered Member

interesting question.looking forward to seeing the answers.
    myself,i just tried to pick a name no one had so i wouldn't have to fill out
    the form again.

4. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I just combine my first and last name. So far, I haven't forgotten my name--yet! :D This could change in the future!!

5. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

I've run into (and answered) this question at various forums (fora?).

No real story behind mine -- I'm Mike B., plain and simple. MikeB has with rare exceptions already been spoken for most places I register, so I add Cda for Canada. A little confusing to others sometimes, since they see the "MikeBC" part and assume I'm in British Columbia -- southern Ontario's slightly more accurate.

There are a few sites where my full name appears (I haven't acquired much paranoia -- or sensibility, if you prefer -- about that). Somewhat off-topic, I've occasionally done a Google on my full name, out of curiosity, and apparently there's a top-notch teaching anaesthesiologist (whew, think I spelled it right ;) ) with the same name "out here" who's published extensively all over the net. It's not a common last name, so I assume we're extremely distant cousins, but never met or been in touch.

6. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Well it's this way. I am or was 6' 2.1/2" when I used to lift weights and other sports. My first initial is C and I am not real small so bigc stuck 73542 is just an area code.

7. ssgtmax

ssgtmax Registered Member

Well, let's see....ssgtmax:

"Max" was a nickname hung on me by high school football teammates back in the 60s. For some reason it stuck for a lifetime.

"SSgt" is merely an abbreviation for "staff sergeant", the last rank I held in the U.S. Air Force many moons ago.

The combination of the 2 seemed to be an easily remembered "handle".

And that's the truth.... ;)

8. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

Being from Canada, i thought it was fitting. :p ;) :D

snowbound(for 3 months a year anyway) :cool:

9. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

Gerard is my real name and it means: strong with the spear (;))
    Wil is a part of my last name, nothing to do with wild or wilders.

So pretty boring, lol

Greetz

10. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I like the meaning of your name, I think mine must mean (man who sits in front of computer to long.)

11. subratam

subratam Registered Member

Its just my name heh.. boring? maybe but well it Subrata means well wish.. and M was added so that .. it becomes
    SubhaSubrataMadhuri
    Subhas -> Father's name
    Madhuri -> Mom's name

Regards

12. optigrab

optigrab Registered Member

Mine may be obvious to a few of us Americans old enough to remember the Steve Martin movie, The Jerk. Besides being extremely funny, the movie has a lot of elements I can sometimes identify with. For one, the main character is well meaning, gullible, and intensely stupid. Optigrab was the name of the invention that brought him fame and fortune, but then ruined him. I kind of like the idea of something that is at first universally accepted as brilliant, and then turns out to be a disaster.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2004
  13. Peaches4U

Peaches4U Registered Member

When I do a favor for others, I keep getting told "you are a real peach". Once upon a time, before I was married & was in my twenties I was chosen as "Peach Queen" at a Peach Festival. So here are some peaches 4U.
    ;)

Attached Files:

14. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

Well because ChrisS which I have been using for years, was already used when I tried another forum. chrisretusn break down as; Chris my nick name, ret for Retired, usn for US Navy, because that's what I be! :rolleyes: I like lower case because it's simple to type and makes the parts less obvious. :cool: It also easy to remember :D

15. slammer_JvA

slammer_JvA Registered Member

Below sea-level. Safe and sound behind our dikes:
    When I first got online back in 1998, I came up with this one.
    At that time I was very much commited into playing bridge; the internet seemed (and soon proved to be!) a perfect platform for this greatest cardgame of all. I became trial-member of OKBridge.com (one of the best bridgesites where one can play online) with this username.

In bridge, the highest score, and most difficult game you can get is a so called (big) slam: you say you can make all the cards/ tricks in your hand.
    I also believe slammer means something like party-animal in English, right?
    So, why not?
    I added my initials -watch the underscore;)- and there you go.

regards,
    slammer:cool:

p.s very nice and original poll/topic/question!

16. Marja

Marja Honestly, I'm not a bot!!

Well, for little nieces and nephews, my name is a bunch of hard letters put together, so "Auntie Marzz" was perfect, but, someone always seems to be using Mars,Marz,Marzz, so I added part of my husband's name! I like it! I feel like a different person, course that's the dual+ personality of a Gemini, I guess!:D I have tried numbers and letters combined but, it is hard to remember and unless there is a "catch" like BigC, you feel like you are talking to a computer like "Hal"?!! :D :p

17. Marja

Marja Honestly, I'm not a bot!!

And Again! I like this topic too, it is interesting to hear how people put a name together and why? Going to different forums, it is always intriguing to guess why and how! Good Topic/subject!! *puppy* :D

18. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

We had one of these threads once upon a long long time ago but I sure can't find it now :D

Anyway my first online experience was dial up Doom with a buddy down the street, and the second (other than some emailing and internet surfing) real use of the internet was Delta Force 2. This game was a HUGE thing with groups and you really met a lot of different people playing around in the different servers. I had just made up the name "Detox" when I started playing and since sop many people knew me by that name, I use it as my universal net nick.

19. greyfox

greyfox Registered Member

Well, my hair is getting really gray and a fox is either a sexy lady or a very smart, cunning animal. I like to think I'm sexy and smart. ;)

20. Mr.Blaze

Mr.Blaze The Newbie Welcome Wagon

:cool: Well i got mine at a lafmme nikita meassage bord

at first i had goten no replys when i sighn up with my full name lol

i was new to the scene when i sighned up

:cool: i had no ideal in order to get replys you had to hve a cool handle

mainly cause at that bord you were secret opertives

so i had to think of something cool fun yet mysterious yet demanded respect

The titile Mr. always comands respect

The name Blaze is just cool :cool:

:cool: that and when i get pisst i blaze up lol

21. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

My username is actually my school teacher's name. Nothing much about it, I chose my teacher's name for my username because it is easier to remember.
    My school teacher is Mdm Nadirah.

22. ssgtmax

ssgtmax Registered Member

Good one. My hair is....well, make that WAS. The forehead expanded to the backhead. I like the majesty of an eagle in flight. I'm thinking of changing the ol' username to....are ya ready for this??.....

danceswithbaldeagles

Maybe a little unwieldy, but a good conversation starter, I suppose. :rolleyes: :D :D

23. greyfox

greyfox Registered Member

danceswithbaldeagles

I like it, .....but maybe a little too long.

24. roger_a320

roger_a320 Registered Member

I am an aviation fanatic, crazy about planes. So it's like this, my name is Roger and I came up with A320 part from the Airbus A320 aircraft. :cool:

25. scoopgirl411

scoopgirl411 Registered Member

Oh this is toooo funny! I'm sitting at work where everything is dead silent - everyone working away dillegently at their computers - and I burst out laughing extremely loudly! It's almost 4 am on a Sunday morning and everyone is half asleep as well - did I mention that a very large guffaw flew forth from my mouth?? Thank you very much for the laugh "danceswithbaldeagles" - it was so appreciated this boring early morning!
    btw - I came up with my name because every other name I tried was already taken... I work as a police, fire, and ems dispatcher and have to ask alot of questions of callers to find out what the problem is and who needs to respond... so I sort of went with a spoof of that... scoop (news, what's going on) girl (I think that's pretty self explanatory) and 411 (as in "I've got the..." or giving the information). Silly I know, but after typing in 100 other names that had more meaning and striking out, you get sort of desperate! lol
    Great topic of conversation Dog! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.