Why Comodo EULA say to uninstall HopSurf, uninstall the Ask Toolbar??

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by Wildest, Jul 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wildest

Wildest Registered Member

Ok, Melih and others insist that HopSurf has completely separate identity compared to Ask Toolbar.

Why then in CIS EULA the instructions to uninstall HopSurf says:
    "If you wish to remove and uninstall HopSurf from your computer, click on the "Start" button; then click on the "Settings" button, then click on the "Control Panel" button, then click on the "Add or Remove Programs" button, then look for ”Ask Toolbar” and click on the "Change/Remove" button."

Screenshot: hopsurf.png

Direct Link to EULA: https://accounts.comodo.com/hp/management/eula

2. Wildest

This thread is specifically about the fact that Melih and Comodo moderators insist that HopSurf is completely different from the Ask Toolbar, built from "the ground up", yet in Comodo's own EULA they associate HopSurf toolbar with Ask toolbar.

I am sure that 3xist will be by soon to rectify the inconsistencies between his explanation and the EULA's statements, so there is no need to have "funny" or "sad" posts to come, and no need to mention any movie characters. ;)

3. Wildest

I have a problem with someone saying something with great conviction and then discovering information which is contradictory.
    If Comodo was honest enough to admit there are deep connections between the Ask toolbar and the HopSurf toolbar, I would not have problem.

It is this feeling of someone trying to "pull a fast one" that makes me nervous, quite honestly.

4. Wildest

5. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

A large number of off-topic posts were removed from this thread. A full copy of the original contents has been placed in the time-out room.

To check out what really happens when you install the Comodo product, (i.e. if it shows "Ask Toolbar" in "Add or Remove Programs"), we installed both the full CIS kit, as well as testing the standalone HopSurf installer. Neither installation yielded an "Add or Remove Programs" option for "Ask Toolbar". The application entry is actually called "Comodo HopSurf".

My guess is that when Comodo switched over to the new HopSurf application, someone did not fully edit the online EULA page to remove the references to Ask Toolbar. It's only my guess, but, it makes some sense that a Tech Writer/Webmaster messed up the edit on that page since the statement is clearly wrong.

You do not uninstall HopSurf via an Add/Remove option called Ask Toolbar. It is "Comodo HopSurf".

Attached Files:

6. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

Not a bad guess!

https://forums.comodo.com/feedbackc..._by_default-t42012.0.html;msg309033#msg309033

----
    rich

7. arran

arran Registered Member

well since this thread is about EULA HopSurf, and Ask Toolbar etc. I am going to make comment.

apparently the search traffic still gets routed to Ask so why Melih is still trying
    to convince everyone that hopsurf has nothing to do with Ask is beyond me. He did try to make an excuse that IE search routes traffic to google. But the thing is people would name IE's search as "google" just like people still name HopSurf
    search as "Ask" Secondly another point is that comodo is a security product where as IE isn't. So there still should be something about Ask in the EULA.

8. Wildest

This is true; Wilders is not a site for speculation and conjecture.

9. Wildest

Thanks for this, Rmus.
    I must however add that I am somewhat disheartened to read some of the later responses by Melih and his followers in this thread which you reference.

There appears to be an active cultivation, and nurturing, of a "us against them" mentality.

Is this the right way for an organisation, dedicated to security?
    I was under the impression that security professionals belong to a "band of brothers"?

Regardless, I shall continue to use their CIS, because it is a very good product; their "toolbars" however, I will not install, nor recommend.

Unless the moderators think otherwise, I consider this issue closed.

10. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

This does seem an appropriate point at which to close out the discussion here. With that, thread closed.

Blue

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.