Why can't I back up files to DVD?

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by cbm_TST, May 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cbm_TST

cbm_TST Registered Member

Hi,

I'm trying to back up individual folders on my computer to a number of DVD disks. For some reason, when I choose "Back up Files" I'm not given the option of choosing the DVD drive as backup location. If I use "Back up Disk or Partition" it lets me though.

Is there some reason that DVD backup has been disabled when backing up files?

I'm using Drive Backup 9 Personal.

Thanks,
    C

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

it could simple the way it is designed. Where can you back it up, then transfer to dvd from there?

3. cbm_TST

Hi Cudni,

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, "simply the way it's designed" appears to be a common theme as far as Paragon is concerned.

Being able to back up files directly to DVDs should be a pretty basic feature and should thus be directly available and not require a backup to another drive before transferring to DVDs (using another program?).

I can't help but think that Paragon easily is the most non-intuitive backup program that I've used and I unfortunately consider my money wasted. I'm currently using Vista's backup program in stead of my Paragon solution but was hoping that Paragon, at least, could do some of the things where Vista falls short.

4. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

I don't believe backing up files directly to dvd is an option provided by DB9 personal.

I expect it offers to back files up to either local/network drives.

You can of course back files up to the HD and burn them to dvd , it's not difficult.

I think you will find it never claimed to backup files direct to dvd.

Worth checking the functions and features of a program before you buy it, just like anything you buy.

5. cbm_TST

Well, Microsoft Word 2007 doesn't expressly say that you can do copy-and-paste either. Some features are so basic that they shouldn't be necessary to check. As I wrote above, "Back up Disk or Partition" offers this feature - if the omission of that choice when backing up files is mentioned somewhere then please do enlighten me.

DVDs were the default personal backup medium until external hard disks became mainstream. Not offering the choice appears arbitrary at best.

6. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

It's not something I have ever had the remotest inclination to do, so I never thought about it before.

I can't see an option to do that in the Server Edition either. It offers Local or network drives.

7. cbm_TST

Well, I just find it weird. Why offer it for drive backups but not for file backups? Almost seems like two different teams developed each their option and never coordinated...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.